Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
It's correct, bro, B2S2 is at the y pipe. I have that drawing saved. Definitely a keeper!
Yeah, it's a bit misleading. It is on the Y pipe, but it's before the merge, so it is still monitoring bank 2 post cat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me start off by saying that without all the various information, tips and how to's on this forum, I would still have a set of megan racing + y pipe sitting in my room doing nothing! Thank you to everyone that posted their experiences and tips!

I found that all the information you need when installing something CAN be found on the forum, it just takes a bit of searching and a lot of reading. The more posts and threads made every day, the harder it is to find these goldmine threads so I thought I would contribute a little to the forum to help new users understand o2 sensor related CEL errors.

I'm not very good at explaining things so I thought a picture would be best ;)
All the information below has been obtained from various posts. If you find any errors, pm me and I will update it!

Search keywords: CEL o2 oxygen sensor headers ypipe y pipe errors odb P0030 P0031 P0032 P0036 P0037 P0038 P0040 P0041 P0050 P0051P0052 P0053 P0054 P0056 P0057 P0058 P0059 P0060 P0130 P0131 P0132 P0133 P0134 P0135 P0136 P0137 P0138 P0139 P0140 P0141 P0150 P0151 P0152 P0153 P0154 P0155 P0156 P0157 P0158 P0159 P0160 P0161
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I want to look at the diagram you posted, but when I click in the icon in your post, nothing shows up. Can you tell me how I can view your diagram? If I can't access it, can you email me the diagram? Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me start off by saying that without all the various information, tips and how to's on this forum, I would still have a set of megan racing + y pipe sitting in my room doing nothing! Thank you to everyone that posted their experiences and tips!

I found that all the information you need when installing something CAN be found on the forum, it just takes a bit of searching and a lot of reading. The more posts and threads made every day, the harder it is to find these goldmine threads so I thought I would contribute a little to the forum to help new users understand o2 sensor related CEL errors.

I'm not very good at explaining things so I thought a picture would be best ;)
All the information below has been obtained from various posts. If you find any errors, pm me and I will update it!

Search keywords: CEL o2 oxygen sensor headers ypipe y pipe errors odb P0030 P0031 P0032 P0036 P0037 P0038 P0040 P0041 P0050 P0051P0052 P0053 P0054 P0056 P0057 P0058 P0059 P0060 P0130 P0131 P0132 P0133 P0134 P0135 P0136 P0137 P0138 P0139 P0140 P0141 P0150 P0151 P0152 P0153 P0154 P0155 P0156 P0157 P0158 P0159 P0160 P0161
The picture isn't available any longer. Can someone post what this picture was? I have the dreaded P0130 P0135 P0150 P0155 codes. All four codes appear at the same time. Please help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I’m going to be that guy that opens up an old thread for a little help and to keep from starting a new thread.
A little back story. Just bought the car yesterday. 01 IS300. The PO just replaced the mid pipe because it had a clogged cat. He said he also replaced an 02 sensor. I personally had no idea the car has 3 O2 sensors? Is that right. On the way home with the car I threw a CEL. After scanning it I’m getting P0420. Anyway from looking at the diagram in post 7 it looks as though some wires are switched around? Is that correct? Or did he put the wrong O2 sensors in?

Thanks in advance for any help,
A.W.

·
Mr. Roo
9,324 Posts
Well I’m going to be that guy that opens up an old thread for a little help and to keep from starting a new thread.
A little back story. Just bought the car yesterday. 01 IS300. The PO just replaced the mid pipe because it had a clogged cat. He said he also replaced an 02 sensor. I personally had no idea the car has 3 O2 sensors? Is that right. On the way home with the car I threw a CEL. After scanning it I’m getting P0420. Anyway from looking at the diagram in post 7 it looks as though some wires are switched around? Is that correct? Or did he put the wrong O2 sensors in?

A.W.
The car has 4 02 sensors. I believe the one the PO replaced would have been the very last one, which normally would throw code P0430. I think the code you have is an upstream sensor, so you could try replacing that. But if the cat under the car was clogged and needed replacing, the entire headers (with their two cats) might also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh no. Thats going to suck. I bet that is going to be costly. Add that to the whole host of oil i found behind the timing cover. It's my luck.

He did specifically point to replacing the one up high on the manifold. I just assumed he replaced the one down stream as well. I would love to keep the stock header and cats but I bet an oem replacement is very expensive. I suppose I will add that to my growing list of issues to address.

thank you for the response.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i just re-read that graphic. i had the wrong code in my head. the P0420 looks like its B1S2 sensor. I will try and take a look at whats going on to see if that got swapped.

·
Registered
503 Posts

A.W.
It’s got 4 sensors, like Tobias said. 2 before the cats - these measure the Air fuel of the engine exhaust and set fuel trims. 2 after the cats - each one responsible for monitoring each cat in the stock header. There’s also a third cat in the midpipe but it is not monitored by an O2 sensor. So the midpipe cat, it will not cause a CEL. You more than likely have a bad cat in the stock header or a bad secondary O2 sensor. How many miles she got on her?

Oil behind the timing cover is either leaking cam seals or a leaking VVTi O ring. Depending on mileage it may be time for a timing belt and water pump. That’s the best time to do the cam/crank/VVTi seals too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ah. I see. That I you for that explanation. Alls the acronyms used for these O2 sensors had me head spinning a little trying to figure out what was what. I read a lot of info on them but wasn’t getting it. And I still can’t tell from looking at the diagram which bank is which.

It just clicked over 109k miles.

Oh and yes it’s super time for the timing belt service. I was going to do all the seals behind that cover when I do the belt and water pump.

·
Mr. Roo
9,324 Posts
Yeah he replaced B2S2, and sounds like B1S2 is the issue. I'd just try replacing that for now first before worrying about the headers/cats.

and I just did my whole timing belt service and replaced the front seals. It's really not that bad of a job with the right tools and time. I replaced everything with stock parts, except for the timing belt, which I used Gates

·
Registered
503 Posts
The way the oxygen sensors are laid out is:

Primary Sensors:
B1S1 measure airfuel bank 1 (cyl 1-3).
B2S1 measure airfuel bank 2 (cyl 4-6).

Secondary sensors:
B1S2 measure cat efficiency bank 1
B2S2 measure cat efficiency bank 2

It’s confusing, but if you go look at the manifold you can make sense of it knowing the above information. Since it’s a inline 6, everything’s jammed up on one side, unlike a V6 where it’s separate sides for each bank. 100,000 miles isn’t bad, the cats *should* still be OK, so I would try the secondary sensors first - they are much cheaper than a new exhaust manifold.

You’re overdue for the timing belt job, but mine was an 04 with 130000mi and was 12 years old when I bought it, and so the belt was big time overdue. It looked fine when I took it out, but Toyota states a 90,000mile/6 year interval. Just try to do it as soon as you can because it can damage the engine if it breaks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah he replaced B2S2, and sounds like B1S2 is the issue. I'd just try replacing that for now first before worrying about the headers/cats.

and I just did my whole timing belt service and replaced the front seals. It's really not that bad of a job with the right tools and time. I replaced everything with stock parts, except for the timing belt, which I used Gates
The way the oxygen sensors are laid out is:

Primary Sensors:
B1S1 measure airfuel bank 1 (cyl 1-3).
B2S1 measure airfuel bank 2 (cyl 4-6).

Secondary sensors:
B1S2 measure cat efficiency bank 1
B2S2 measure cat efficiency bank 2

It’s confusing, but if you go look at the manifold you can make sense of it knowing the above information. Since it’s a inline 6, everything’s jammed up on one side, unlike a V6 where it’s separate sides for each bank. 100,000 miles isn’t bad, the cats *should* still be OK, so I would try the secondary sensors first - they are much cheaper than a new exhaust manifold.

You’re overdue for the timing belt job, but mine was an 04 with 130000mi and was 12 years old when I bought it, and so the belt was big time overdue. It looked fine when I took it out, but Toyota states a 90,000mile/6 year interval. Just try to do it as soon as you can because it can damage the engine if it breaks.

Thanks for all the info. I found a timing belt kit on Amazon that uses all Toyota parts with the gates belt. That’s he way I’ll be going. Planning on getting started on it this week if I don’t end up getting a local shop here to do it. I’m just afraid they won’t take the time to clean up the mess like I would do. The valve cover gaskets are a wreck too. I read somewhere on here and I can’t find the thread now that the plugs for the coil packs break and I should have some ready just in case. Not sure where to get those from.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Coil pack connector part number: 90980-11246. They will be brittle and break easily.

Valve cover gaskets are a good idea too.

Oh my gosh thank you so much. And YES on the valve cover gasket. Mine are a wreck and the spark plug valley is a mess. So lots of clean up there too.

So here is a pic of the O2 sensor the PO replaced. I think this is B1S1? And with my code sounds like B1S2 is the one I need to replace? Rock auto has what look like good pricing but I may check locally as well to not have to pay for shipping. Denso part number 2344015?

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts