Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was trying to diagnose an issue with my starter and viewed a Youtube video to assist me with the task.

Problem: On random occasions when I turn the key to start the vehicle, the power to the vehicle shuts off. I disconnect my negative battery terminal and immediately put it back on and the vehicle starts without issue. Sometimes the power will shut off again, and I have to off-on the battery terminal a 2nd time. This occurs 1-2 times a month.

In the video, the uploader has a ground wire attached to the starter bolt which can be seen around the 1:15 mark of the video. My IS300 does not have this ground cable here, but it has a similar one attached to the nearby looped hardline bracket bolt which is grounded to the chassis. I cannot see from the video clearly, but I'm thinking the Youtube uploader may have had his ground attached to the wrong bolt from a previous servicing, or, that it may be an aftermarket ground.

I have looked at the repair manual and searched the forums, but do not see any mention of a starter ground, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone knows if I'm supposed to have one, please advise! Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just from the look of it I dont think it is OEM, but probably part of an aftermarket earthing kit. It wont be for the starter motor on its own, they have their own wire circuit usually.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hello everyone,

I was trying to diagnose an issue with my starter and viewed a Youtube video to assist me with the task.

Problem: On random occasions when I turn the key to start the vehicle, the power to the vehicle shuts off. I disconnect my negative battery terminal and immediately put it back on and the vehicle starts without issue. Sometimes the power will shut off again, and I have to off-on the battery terminal a 2nd time. This occurs 1-2 times a month.

In the video, the uploader has a ground wire attached to the starter bolt which can be seen around the 1:15 mark of the video. My IS300 does not have this ground cable here, but it has a similar one attached to the nearby looped hardline bracket bolt which is grounded to the chassis. I cannot see from the video clearly, but I'm thinking the Youtube uploader may have had his ground attached to the wrong bolt from a previous servicing, or, that it may be an aftermarket ground.

I have looked at the repair manual and searched the forums, but do not see any mention of a starter ground, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone knows if I'm supposed to have one, please advise! Thanks
Starter grounds through the body of the starter.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had to replace mine last spring - have fun, they're not easy to replace! If you're in the Toronto area I can hook you up with a rebuilt unit for a good price, let me know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer, I'm in the Vancouver area and thankfully have time to work through this as I have another daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts