Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was on ebay and looking headlights and saw a ebay listing that said you are offering a custom black chrome housing setup. But I could not find any pictures in the listing. Could you please post up or pm me some pictures.

NEW Lexus IS300 Black Chrome HALO Headlights 01-05 | eBay

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your curiosity will continue because there's a lack of participation from the seller. Would be understandable if no one from their camp ever logged on, but since this post I have seen a them in this section.

Oh well, take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
$650 w/ Shipping? Eh, I'll do mine myself for around $100 :)
Failing. You know for $650 they're INCLUDING the oem headlights and halos, right? Plus, you know you can't really do black chrome out of your garage no matter how ill you think you are? However, +1 to what Eminence said ... MIA.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your argument is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure I can get damn close to black chrome myself, it's not rocket science. I like how you threw my screen name in there too, that was cute :lol:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Your argument is irrelevant. I'm pretty sure I can get damn close to black chrome myself, it's not rocket science. I like how you threw my screen name in there too, that was cute :lol:
Actual dipped black chrome, and taking a spray can of black tint and spraying it on chrome are not the same thing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
772 Posts
Actual dipped black chrome, and taking a spray can of black tint and spraying it on chrome are not the same thing.

Stop it. You work for them? Aren't there a bunch of guys on here who did the same thing themselves for less than $650.00?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Stop it. You work for them? Aren't there a bunch of guys on here who did the same thing themselves for less than $650.00?
No. and my point was that though it may not be rocket science, it is a chemical process to achieve the product and not as simple as using a rattle can to get something that looks "similar".

i know Eminence has been looking for this for quite awhile, and if it were that easy to get the correct look he would have done it a long time ago.

·
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn right I've been trying to find a company to do a black chrome headlight for me but I prefer JDM lights over USDM.

Black chrome is not a chemical dipping process. It's a two stage process, chrome base then a tint/candy. There is no such thing as black chromium. The issue I had was that I didn't have good chrome base, I had a damaged bezel with layers of paint and original chrome. The problem I was faced with was finding someone to rechrome the bezel. If you have a very good bezel you can simply apply a few coat of tint/candy over the chrome. A matter of fact, I tried the DupliColor stuff and it worked great, I was just too quick to jump the gun and did not properly prepare my work area and it resulted in a dusty work area. The black chrome effect was definitely there, I just had a crap load of dust in the candy. As to longevity, I am not sure but assuming the lens protect the bezel from harsh environment it sound be okay. The only concern I had was whether the heat produced from the bulbs would lift the candy off.

Through my research I have found a company that supplies black chrome tint to many chroming places. They are a lot more volatile than the Duplicolor stuff which means the chemical bond is much stronger. The application process is just like applying candy paint on a car.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
you can pvd black.. Em.

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
I was on ebay and looking headlights and saw a ebay listing that said you are offering a custom black chrome housing setup. But I could not find any pictures in the listing. Could you please post up or pm me some pictures.

NEW Lexus IS300 Black Chrome HALO Headlights 01-05 | eBay
We do a couple sets of these a week so I will ask our techs to snap some pics for you when they do another set. Any pictures you want in particular?

I'm also curious about this, except with no halos.
We can do that too, deduct $169 from the price.

Your curiosity will continue because there's a lack of participation from the seller. Would be understandable if no one from their camp ever logged on, but since this post I have seen a them in this section.

Oh well, take your business elsewhere.
Guilty as charged :blush:

I wish we had more time to be on the boards but that is what happens when you are one of the fastest growing companies in the country. Luckily we have a toll free number with helpful representatives ready to assist :) 1(800)407-5776, you can also email [email protected]

What they are saying is that this includes new headlights from Lexus which are around $400 by themselves.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Damn right I've been trying to find a company to do a black chrome headlight for me but I prefer JDM lights over USDM.

Black chrome is not a chemical dipping process. It's a two stage process, chrome base then a tint/candy. There is no such thing as black chromium.
I stand corrected. Anyway gl!

·
Registered
875 Posts
those...are sexy. i'll probably be having you make me some headlights for when i get back from the middle east...

a welcome home present is always nice for yourself. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts