Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last night here in the big sate of kentucky, we got about an inch or two of snow. Enuff to cover the roads. Well i thoguht i would try my luck with the stock RE040 and see how i could drive. It was a whole lot better tahn waht i thoguht!!! You can drive on these tires if you need to. You jsut must leave the traction on and be smooth the inputs. And you must also look ahead too!!! The noyl thing i found to be a problem was hills. What you ahve to do is get momunteum going and jsut dont stop till you get to the top!!! But all in all i can get where i want with the summer tires
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I know how much it's not fun, and unsafe, to drive on summer tires in the snow (although only for a few days)...even with an AWD car. Drive carefully man!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,524 Posts
TylerBStanley said:
hahahahha no faith man
no, because the rest of us are college educated and smart enough to realize how DUMB it is to drive with summer tires on snow or ice....

:shame:

next time you wont be so lucky.....many on the boards here chanced it as well and werent so lucky and learned their lessons as well....

its really not worth the risk unless its completely neccesary in an emergency situation....otherwise, keep the car where it is and wait till the snow stops and the roads are clear.....its just that simple....

:wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
i've done it several times.... just make sure to have someone big with u, so they can push every other time u stop. but seriously, its not something you should try unless you are extremely experienced at driving in the snow in a rear-wheel drive.


i had a hell of time out there today.... good and bad... no accidents... just one curb. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,540 Posts
with an inch of snow youll be fine. The tires can dig down and find pavement...


more snow creates a problem because you cant dig and find pavement... therefore the snow tires are needed for traction...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,239 Posts
cry babies...i've done fine for the past 2 winters in a few inches of snow and i live on top of the hills here...ice is where it gets tricky.

goldark: why the hell are u going over 3.5krpms? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
lilaznboi said:
cry babies...i've done fine for the past 2 winters in a few inches of snow and i live on top of the hills here...ice is where it gets tricky.

goldark: why the hell are u going over 3.5krpms? :roll:
I'm a boost addict.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,704 Posts
HoustonLex said:
with an inch of snow youll be fine. The tires can dig down and find pavement...
Have you ever driven the IS in the snow before? If so, what kinda of tires were you on? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,294 Posts
Lexotic Concepts said:
i've done it several times.... just make sure to have someone big with u, so they can push every other time u stop. but seriously, its not something you should try unless you are extremely experienced at driving in the snow in a rear-wheel drive.


i had a hell of time out there today.... good and bad... no accidents... just one curb. :(
HAHA I dont think this guy ever had winter tires? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,540 Posts
Chigger said:
HoustonLex said:
with an inch of snow youll be fine. The tires can dig down and find pavement...
Have you ever driven the IS in the snow before? If so, what kinda of tires were you on? :roll:
RE40's, with roughly an inch of the white stuff on the roads...

thee light fluffy kind, not the wet slushy kind...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya i ahve to Re040 and i made it ok. Its not taht bad. It can get hairry at time..... but jsut pay attention and keep ur behind behind u!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,849 Posts
How many times do I have to say this:
DO NOT DRIVE ON SUMMER TIRES IN SNOW?
If you are not smart enough to realize that driving without much traction on your tires will eventually get you into an accident, read the Darwin notes above. There is no such rule as 1" of snow. Driving below 32F or on snow/ice is simply dangerous.

No matter how good a driver you are, or how lucky you are, every once in a while the traffic condtions require for your vehicle to stop. The only way it will obey is by using stationary objects around. This is when the insurance company takes a big hit.

Yes, I got a away with driving on summer tires in snow a few times. That gave me confidence that if I drive slowly, carefuly, and with traction control ON, I will have no problems getting home when I got snowed in during springtime, having my summer set already swithed from winter.
Here is my $8,500 mistake.
What will yours come up to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Not the smartest idea :eek: . I lost my first IS300, in the first winter, I had it for and I had winter tires too. Sucks to be me. One note though winter tires don't help you drive on ice. :shame:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,540 Posts
vlad_a said:
How many times do I have to say this:
DO NOT DRIVE ON SUMMER TIRES IN SNOW?
If you are not smart enough to realize that driving without much traction on your tires will eventually get you into an accident, read the Darwin notes above. There is no such rule as 1" of snow. Driving below 32F or on snow/ice is simply dangerous.

No matter how good a driver you are, or how lucky you are, every once in a while the traffic condtions require for your vehicle to stop. The only way it will obey is by using stationary objects around. This is when the insurance company takes a big hit.

Yes, I got a away with driving on summer tires in snow a few times. That gave me confidence that if I drive slowly, carefuly, and with traction control ON, I will have no problems getting home when I got snowed in during springtime, having my summer set already swithed from winter.
Here is my $8,500 mistake.
What will yours come up to?

Thanks Darwin....
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top