Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have these tires? i have potenza s-03's and they are starting to get reallly worn after 9 months of having them. i am looking for something cheaper but still decent in performance. anyone have any other suggestions? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
They are nice tires, but do not have the level of grip that the S0-3's have. Tire rack has good deals on sp9000 and kuhmo MX.
I am still not sure what to get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just had the es100's installed. As far as I can tell, they are as good as the stock Potenza RE040's. Keep in mind that I don't drive like a racer so I don't know about its limit capability. Installation + allignment was about $100.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Your high 2pac!!! :chill:

I've had the Parada Spec 2 for around 10K and they sound like truck tires and wear funny on the inside I hate them.

As far as getting the AVS I wouldn’t tread wear is to low on them, I recently was invited to BFGoodrich's Kick asphalt tour where we got to drive there new tire against the competition well as luck would have it they had 2 IS300 with 225/40R 18 tires of the AVS and the BFGoodrich Gforce AT (NT) and the tread wears for the BF is like 300 and the AVS was like 180 but the BF gripped much better. Just a thought before you fork over the cash for the AVS

2pac said:
get the Parada spec2, very good tire and quiet too

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
Your high 2pac!!! :chill:

I've had the Parada Spec 2 for around 10K and they sound like truck tires and wear funny on the inside I hate them.

As far as getting the AVS I wouldn’t tread wear is to low on them, I recently was invited to BFGoodrich's Kick asphalt tour where we got to drive there new tire against the competition well as luck would have it they had 2 IS300 with 225/40R 18 tires of the AVS and the BFGoodrich Gforce AT (NT) and the tread wears for the BF is like 300 and the AVS was like 180 but the BF gripped much better. Just a thought before you fork over the cash for the AVS

2pac said:
get the Parada spec2, very good tire and quiet too
I don't know a lot about tires, but 300 seems really high right?! Is that BFG tire out yet? More info pleeease, I need new tires soon!
thanks

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
CarbonIS300 said:
300 is the tread wear index of these tires not the price. and yes 300 is muich higher then 180 which is a really poor wear index number.

For Pricing on the BFGoodrich g-force (NT) [NT=New Tread design]

bk9 said:
I don't know a lot about tires, but 300 seems really high right?! Is that BFG tire out yet? More info pleeease, I need new tires soon!
thanks
thanks, not bad looking...hrrm. I think I'll prolly go w/ the Toyo Proxes T1-s, but we'll see....

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replies, i am probably going to wait a little longer and go with the bf goodrich, my mom has them on her E430 and they perform well and have lasted very nicely so far.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I have had the AVS ES100's for a few months and about 10k miles.

Positives...
- MUCH better wet grip than the stock Potenza's.
- MUCH better dry grip than the stock Potenza'a.
- The wear has been very reasonable. This includes a como of miles burned up on a circuit track (180+ miles) and 1/4 mile runs (about 15 runs).
- Tread pattern looks "cool" and the side view is respectable (hell ya that matters!).
- Cheap ($ wise).

Negative...
- They are noisy as hell. They sound like truck tires from day 1.
- I think I will wear out the sides before I will the center tread. I try and keep them at max psi (or higher).

Here is a pic from a couple of weeks ago (@ about 9k miles) taken right after a day spent on a circuit track.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The BFG above is the Gforce KDW NT (new tread). The KDW comes in two tread patterns...in that particular size, thats the design

Take treadwear ratings with a grain of salt...its not an industry standard.
Everyone has to test under similar conditions...but its not a # to use to comapre two different brand tires.

Example:
Nitto 300 is twice the life of a Nitto 150
Yokohama 300 is twice the life if a Yokohama 150
However, a Nitto 300 could equal a Yokohama 200, 150, 350, whatever.

The number is used "only" to compare to other tires made by the same company.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
Actually the wear index i posted were both from BFGoodrich from their Kick Asphalt Tour, as the tread wear index from Yokahama is listed as 280.

We won't even get into whether or not BFG skimped a bit on the tread wear index for the AVS. i will tell you this the G-Force grip much better then the AVS and were much more quiet especially when compared to my Parada Spec 2s.

For me my next set will either be BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2 or the GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 which have a really good review also.

The BFG above is the Gforce KDW NT (new tread). The KDW comes in two tread patterns...in that particular size, thats the design

Take treadwear ratings with a grain of salt...its not an industry standard.
Everyone has to test under similar conditions...but its not a # to use to comapre two different brand tires.

Example:
Nitto 300 is twice the life of a Nitto 150
Yokohama 300 is twice the life if a Yokohama 150
However, a Nitto 300 could equal a Yokohama 200, 150, 350, whatever.

The number is used "only" to compare to other tires made by the same company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts