Lexus IS Forum banner

Yes, it's for real! The Lexus IS F goes racing!

24K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  PsychosIS_300 
#1 · (Edited)
17985The Lexus IS F's path from production car to racing version has been a long and convoluted one. Starting with <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f45/lexus-f-racing-concept-debut-2008-tokyo-auto-salon-350047/">a grainy picture and initial information</A> of the Lexus IS F Racing Concept which were followed by <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f45/real-life-pictures-lexus-f-racing-concept-who-y-yaguchi-350471/">real-life pictures of its debut at the 2008 Tokyo Auto Salon courtesy of my.IS member David Huang (screen name IS300eR)</A> and then veering off to the ever more outrageous stories of it either evolving into <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f47/mid-engined-lexus-f-sedan-racer-350934/">a mid-engined sedan racer</A> or <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f47/tabloidization-lexus-f-racing-concept-stories-continues-351241/">evolved from a 2004 Opel Vectra DTM racer</A>, we were left to wonder if it would all ultimately self-implode into a big pile of vaporware.

Finally, however, the drawn-out tease of a wait is over. We are about to see the Lexus IS F compete on the racetrack. And, best of all, you needn't hop on a plane to Japan or Europe, for it will be making its racing debut at the upcoming SPEED World Challenge GT Series race at the storied Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington on Sunday 20 July 2008 at 4 PM, the final event in a racing-packed Mid-Ohio weekend that also includes American Le Mans, Indy Lights, Indy Car and SPEED World Challenge Touring Car races.

The mention of the latter series begs for some clarification. SPEED World Challenge racing consists of two distinct classes: the slower Touring Car class and the faster GT class. The Touring Car class is where the 1st-generation Lexus IS 300 has seen action, under both <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f42/team-fbr-trans-sport-racing-lexus-is300-106609/">Tim Pappas' Team FBR/Trans Sport Racing</A> and <A HREF="http://my.is/forums/f47/lexus-is300-returns-speed-world-challenge-racing-295705/">Andy and Andrew Wojteczko's Auto Analyser Racing</A> teams. A key rule in the Touring Car (TC) class is that engines may be no larger than 2.8 liters, which the Lexus IS 300 complies with via destroking (and making it, in essence, an IS 280). On the other hand, <A HREF="http://www.world-challenge.com/series.php?page=carfacts">Grand Touring (GT) class rules</A> are much broader, including a variety of production displacements with no maximum. Forced induction is permitted and is used to equalize individual models. Sedans, coupes, convertibles and two-seat models are permitted. The cars can be rear-wheel, or all-wheel drive. Class horsepower range is 350-550 bhp.

At this time, fully detailed specifications are not available, but we do know that the SPEED World Challenge Lexus IS GTF, which was engineered and built by Greg Fordahl and the team at Redmond, Washington-based Fordahl Motorsports after an almost year-long effort, will be running is a purpose-built 4.7-liter V8 race engine that puts out just over 510 hp via a Hewland 6-speed sequential transmission. The base weight for the car with driver is about 2900 lbs, and this is one of those racing series that uses the same spec tires for all, in this case Toyo Proxes RA888s, in a 295/35-18 size for the front and 335/30-18 for the rear in the IS GTF.

The Lexus IS GTF racers will be fielded by the DRC Motorsports team. Team owner Dennis Carlton's plans are for running the remainder of the 2008 schedule in preparation for an all-out assault on the SPEED World Challenge GT Championship in 2009. Russ Miller, co-principal director of DRC Motorsports adds, “While we are determined to win driver and manufacturer titles, it is equally important to us that our sponsors, potential sponsors and manufacturer believe that we develop and field a quality race car on par with the quality of their products and services.”

Further proof of the caliber and determination of DRC Motorsports is in their choice of drivers, neither of which are newbie rookies or dilettantes. The Mid-Ohio race will see only one of the team's two cars in action, the #72, piloted by <A HREF="http://www.jeffaltenburg.net/Site/*Home.html">Jeff Altenburg.</A> Jeff is the 2007 SPEED World Challenge Touring Car Champion, at the wheel of the #1 Mazda6. After running the second TC event of the 2008 season (at Virginia International Raceway), however, he quit the Mazda team to join DRC Motorsports, which has allowed Jeff to run in a Porsche 911 GT3 while his Lexus was being prepared.

Hopefully, the race following the Mid-Ohio event, at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin on Sunday 10 August should see the team's second Lexus IS GTF racer ready to compete: the #02 car, driven by <A HREF="http://www.robbholland.com/robb_holland_racing/home/home.html">Robb Holland</A> (my.IS member WC IS350 GT). Robb's racing career actually started on two wheels, and not the motorized kind. He captured two cycling National Championships before competing professionally for 6 years at the top international level against stars like Lance Armstrong. After retiring from professional cycling, Robb changed to four engine-powered wheels, and the SPEED World Challenge Touring Car series, competing in a Dodge (Neon) SRT-4 during 2006 and 2007. During several 2007 and early 2008 season races, Holland, like Altenburg, has driven SPEED World Challenge GT events in a Porsche 911 GT3.

Rest assured that we at my.IS will be following the progress of the DRC Motorsports Lexus IS GTF racers just as diligently as we do the Grand Am Daytona Prototype Lexus-powered racers. And for those of you unable to see it live at Mid-Ohio, SPEED TV will be broadcasting the SPEED World Challenge GT race on Thursday 24 July 2008 at 10 AM Pacific Time / 11 AM Mountain Time / 12 Noon Central Time / 1 PM Eastern Time.

Could we be witnessing the rebirth of a factory-supported Team Lexus featuring Lexus IS-derived racers? Unfortunately, no, but we can always keep our fingers crossed, dream and hope...

Finally, we need to thank none other than Robb Holland himself for bringing this story to our attention.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
I originally meant to post SPEED TV's air date and time for the Mid-Ohio race, but forgot. A new 8th paragraph to the story now includes this information.

Reactions: twin
#6 ·
Dream and hope is right.

Robb, all the best to you and I love how Russ's lines are purely geared towards garnering some TMS support... good luck with that!!

Reactions: jruhi4
#7 ·
Hell yes! I love the SPEED World Challenge. Glad to see Lexus is finally in the fight. Thanks for the story :approve:

#9 ·
I just want to point out that this motor isn't the IS-F 5.0L and its not really even an IS-F really. It IS, however, the stillborn Team Lexus IS350. They must have been purchased by DRC and revised to meet SCCA regulations for WC GT instead of their original purpose of ALMS(IMSA regulations).

The use of 2UZ-FE (4.7-liter V8, as used in the Toyota Tundra, 4Runner and Lexus GX470, among others) motors is a very interesting choice. Perhaps Robb, you can PM and we can discuss this offline, but from what I know, the 2UZ-FE is cast iron and heeeeeeeavy.

But are they using 2UZ-FEs??? My other guess is these engines are two of the few Daytona Prototype engines that are being leased by teams in the Grand Am Rolex Series but destroked to run at 4.7L?

Maybe they're bored out 1GR-FE's (the 4-liter, non-direct-injected V6 as used in the Toyota Tacoma, FJ Cruiser and base versions of the 4Runner) ????

Who knows!!?

#10 ·
Despite a lot of exterior changes, those are definitely our old Team Lexus GT350s. I recognize that roll cage and hood anywhere. Finally, someone is picking up where we left off and, hopefully, more manufacturers will start developing aftermarket parts for the 2IS depending on the success of this team.

#11 ·
In my rush to get this story up in as timely a manner as possible, plus sending a tip to Autoblog, (which, fortunately, picked up on this story: Lexus IS F to take on SPEED World Challenge GT - Autoblog ), I totally missed the obvious resemblance of the stillborn Team Lexus ALMS GT2S Lexus IS 350 to the DRC Motorsports Lexus IS GTF. I did find it odd that a purported IS F racer would use the IS250/350 vertical bar grille and not the IS F's "diamond" pattern, but thought nothing more of it.

Lexusecutive, via Private Message, first brought the similarities to my attention and, shortly thereafter, several of the comments on the Autoblog article noted the same thing. And, of course, Apex84 is none other than Team Lexus' former Public Relations & Marketing Manager Leroy Alfred Taylor III, so his comments are the definitive confirmation of the IS GTF's true origins.

Lexusecutive's comments on the true origins of the 4.7-liter engine powering the IS GTF are excellent. I'd only question the need to destroke the Lexus Daytona Prototype V8 from 5 liters to 4.7 liters when there is no displacement limit in SPEED World Challenge GT Class racing.

#14 ·
Lexusecutive's comments on the true origins of the 4.7-liter engine powering the IS GTF are excellent. I'd only question the need to destroke the Lexus Daytona Prototype V8 from 5 liters to 4.7 liters when there is no displacement limit in SPEED World Challenge GT Class racing.
My guess would be possibly destroked to allow higher RPM and better fuel economy? Hard to believe they'd use the cast iron 4.7L, especially with the weight distribution of a gutted and caged race car. Of course, with the fuel cell and battery most likely relocated to the trunk, that should help the balance.

It's anybody's guess 'till we hear the facts from the horse's mouth.

+rep for the story! My DVR is already set to record.

Kane

#15 · (Edited)
Hey, guys. It's late and I just got in from the track. I will give you guys lots more info once things slow down after this weekend but I wanted to give you a few quick bits of info.

We have had access to some of the technical details of the Team Lexus program as well as some parts, hence some of the similarities a few of you have noticed. However, other than superficial similarities all of the main components are completely new. Engine, Suspension ect are of completely new specs.

The engines are 4.7L and not 5.0L for a very specific reason that I can't get into right now, but man, you guys have a good attention to detail. I would like to share more insight but can't at this time. There are a few things that need to solidified and then all can be revealed.

Sorry for the cloak-and-dagger routine but, hey, that's racing!

#18 ·
According to Robb's post, these aren't the Team Lexus IS350's???

Robb, really???? They look identical.

#23 ·
Can I drive!? Damn! that car is looking HOT. I'm regretting selling my IS300 REALLY bad. I suppose in a couple months when my new car gets here, I won't mind it much anymore.

But that IS-F is drop dead GORGEOUS. What engine does it have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.