Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry about the pictures. It's hard to capture an LCD at night, and it's also hard to hold the camera completely still.

The LCD looks a little washed out, but inside the colours look perfect... like they were made for the car :)

And here's what it actually looks like. Like I mentioned, the colours look perfect when you're actually in the car staring at the screen... doesn't matter if it's day or night.

I'd post some daytime pics, but I made a slight miscalculation so the screen isn't mounted perfectly (will be rectified, eventually).

Centrafuse + Orange Heat + Lexus Logo :)

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I need specifics, what is that? lol

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come on guys, you should have all read my car pc thread by now ;)

It's a Xenarc 700TS touchscreen mounted in the JDM dash kit. The PC is running Centrafuse on Windows XP. If you need more specifics, just ask.

·
Registered
820 Posts
JAEohEN said:
sweet....

how much does an install like that run?
mucho dinero

·
Registered
820 Posts
This song is kinda nice...

Chus & Ceballos Vs. Richie Santana - Low Frequencies Part 1
Azuli Presents Miami 2005 (Disc 2)
Mixed by David Piccioni

Reactions: azzurro

·
Registered
820 Posts
JAEohEN said:
ballpark?

no thanks, i dont follow sports...

i would guesstimate 2.2k

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is very clean. I've wanted to put in an aftermarket hu, but always hated the blue/green colors on all of them. +rep for a slick setup.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thats some HOT SHYT.

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments everyone :)

aemjr said:
This song is kinda nice...

Chus & Ceballos Vs. Richie Santana - Low Frequencies Part 1
Azuli Presents Miami 2005 (Disc 2)
Mixed by David Piccioni
Yes, very nice :) Azuli is a quality label. Some rep is deserved for the house music (not that I have much to offer ;))

In terms of price... well, it really depends on a number of factors. There's the price for your audio components (which will, for the most part, remain the same, minus the cost of a proper HU). We all know audio installs vary in price quite significantly, so we'll leave it at that.

Now, to do it right, you need a good touchscreen (~$400 -> unless you want to spend a couple thousand on a unit that is perfectly readable in direct sunlight), a solid power supply for the computer (~$200), a quality case, the computer components themselves (varies, but you can get good parts for very cheap), and any extra computer components you'd like (gyroscopic mouse, wireless keyboard, WiFi, GPS, etc.).

To actually install it might get expensive if you don't do it yourself. I've been working on this for several months and am not done yet (the computer works, obviously, but I have WiFi, GPS, and FM radio issues still to deal with, and I still need to do a couple of other things). But, if you've done car audio installs before it shouldn't be too bad. This was my first, so I obviously I had to do some learning along the way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I dont know if this has been asked in your other thread, but is your carputer instant power-on? Or do you have to wait 30 seconds for windows to boot... Does it turn off automatically when the key is removed?

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
af22 said:
I dont know if this has been asked in your other thread, but is your carputer instant power-on? Or do you have to wait 30 seconds for windows to boot... Does it turn off automatically when the key is removed?
It's not instant power on. Windows boots automatically when I turn the key on. I haven't timed it yet, but I think it takes a little under 30 seconds, booting right into the front-end and automatically playing music.

I'm working on cutting that time down. There's also some other alternatives, like adding a deep cycle battery and pretty much never turning the computer off (would be nice but I don't think I'd like to go this route). There's also hibernation, which would be quick but might not work that well (driver issues). I believe that I can also suspend to RAM, which would probably be quick and is the reason I didn't go with a lot of RAM. I'd just need to check power consumption. There also might be some driver issues this way.

I have a switch to control whether the ignition turns the PC on. If I'm going on an extremely short trip, I just flip the switch so the computer doesn't turn on. I also have another switch, which leaves the computer on if I need to only turn the car off for a short period of time and don't want the computer to shut off.

If the "stay on" switch is off, then yes, the computer will automatically turn off once I turn off the car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i see... makes me wonder though. Wouldn't hacking an xbox be an easier route and cheaper?

I guess the only problem with an xbox would be getting a touch panel to communicate with the unit. But if you put in a large 300 gig HD, you'll have media player to play movies, divx, mp3. Also fast power up times...

I'm still thinking of ideas for a future project....

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
af22 said:
i see... makes me wonder though. Wouldn't hacking an xbox be an easier route and cheaper?

I guess the only problem with an xbox would be getting a touch panel to communicate with the unit. But if you put in a large 300 gig HD, you'll have media player to play movies, divx, mp3. Also fast power up times...

I'm still thinking of ideas for a future project....
I haven't followed the xbox scene, but I do know that people made good progress using an xbox as an HTPC front-end. It definitely could be adapted to the car environment.

You get quick boots out of the box, but I don't see any other advantages.

Cheaper? Not really. Well-equipped computers are cheap these days. And you still need to power the xbox, which is a very large consideration. You'll have to go with an inverter and make your own startup/shutdown controller.

The solution is much less flexible as well. WiFi? What about navigation?

I don't know about recent developments, but getting that touchscreen to work is probably not going to be easy.

It could definitely be a good project, and it may potentially be cheap to implement, but I'd rather have my set-up any day.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Getting my parts for a carputer to. I chose the cracked screen laptop way ;). Did you change your amp and rear speakers? If not, how did you hook up the sound?

Could you take some pics of the monitor on daylight?

+ rep

1 - 20 of 56 Posts