Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never owned a car more rock chips than my IS my 02 accord paint still looks brand new compared to my IS :(

anyone feel that our factory paint or clearcoat just isnt up to par???

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
It's the soft paint that they use, supposibly lead free and environmentally friendly. Some members use clear bras like Xpel to protect from rock chips.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
our paint is very soft. rock chips suck, but our paint is one of the best quality paints out there. washed and waxed....damn. our paint is soft, shiny, and top notch

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blklexIs said:
our paint is very soft. rock chips suck, but our paint is one of the best quality paints out there. washed and waxed....damn. our paint is soft, shiny, and top notch

i dunno i rather have harder more protective paint, i cant see how you can say you like the paint looking at all those rock chips :confused:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
goohead said:
i dunno i rather have harder more protective paint, i cant see how you can say you like the paint looking at all those rock chips :confused:
haha. well obviously it sucks looking at chips...but my friends know me as a guy with the shiniest cleanest looking IS300 they know of. the paint speaks for itself. i love the lexus paint. get ur bumper or hood repainted with some tougher german paint or soemthing...or get xpel or 3M. our paint is good paint

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
goohead said:
Dont tail gate, stay ahead of traffic whenever possible... I dunno what else to say. I have 3 rock chips on my 02 and 1 on my 04. Both of them see all highway driving.

It has to do alot with driving style & owner upkeep. Keep the car waxed and slippery and the rocks dont dig into your paint as much either.

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
goohead said:
buy an old truck with thick ass paint then...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont know every one is getting so defensive i'm saying my accord i drive the same way have better paint thats all almost no rock chip while the is have it all over the front bumper and hood

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
goohead said:
i dont know every one is getting so defensive i'm saying my accord i drive the same way have better paint thats all almost no rock chip while the is have it all over the front bumper and hood
you dont know the definition of "better paint"

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
goohead said:
stronger more resistant to chipping, color is not as deep, or shiny though
so "stronger" makes it better? :rolleyes:

if you know you have soft paint and you are that worried about the chips, you should have gotten a clear bra or bought a regular bra from lexus for times you know youll be picking up rocks. common sense.

·
Registered
210 Posts
:curses: you should see my 05. lots of rock chips on front bumper and hood. speeding and tailgating are probably the cause of it.

05 IIP e-shift,Tein S-Tech,LED tails,tint windows.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
scruffyburritos said:
so "stronger" makes it better? :rolleyes:

if you know you have soft paint and you are that worried about the chips, you should have gotten a clear bra or bought a regular bra from lexus for times you know youll be picking up rocks. common sense.
yes it does, why settle for less quality? do you want paint that is more "prone" to chipping due to its softness, or one that holds up better over time? maybe its personal prefference but i preffer the later. what advantage does softer paint have?

and no i didnt know i had soft paint until after i got the car, or else i would common sense...
:erm:

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
goohead said:
yes it does, why settle for less quality? do you want paint that is more "prone" to chipping due to its softness, or one that holds up better over time? maybe its personal prefference but i preffer the later. what advantage does softer paint have?

and no i didnt know i had soft paint until after i got the car, or else i would common sense...
:erm:

you arent settling for less quality... lots of companies today are using this eco-friendly paint. you dont have a choice. like i said if it really pisses you off this badly, go to maaco and tell them you want something else. but try to resell the car later and see what happens.

i personally dont mind the soft paint. it looks and cleans up great. i dont keep my cars for years either. and even if i did, i take care of them, use microfiber towels, and dont drive behind dump trucks.

here is a link to a product that might help you:
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/CARE/POR_CARE_Zymol2_pg2.htm

zymol has a lot of other great products too to help you out. this is just one example.

so you didnt do your research before, but you know now... why not buy a product like this and get a bra to prevent further damage? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well this is interesting. Im acually thinking about repaiting my whole car when i get a body kit put on. So this is going to make the value of my car drop once i paint it the same color? my car has 17k on it and the paint is totly screwed. The bumpers, fenders, doors, even the roof. The kid that i bought the car off of when it had 10k on it scratched it all to high hell. So would it be better to have nice clear shiny new paint or shiny paint that has visible blemishes while ur up close?

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
yea, like burrito said, dont drive behind those big rigs they like to kick up rocks n such.

buy a bra or something for your car :lol:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
painting at maaco = waste of money, respraying your car will not decrease value, when you buy a car do you want new paint or beat up paint, jsut have to find a body shop that knows what they are doing, most reputable shops offer long warranties on there paint job 3-5 year, after respraying it getting paint protection film installed would be a good idea. also a good car cleaner/sealer is klasse its an arcrylic based sealer top it off with some ploymer syn wax would be good for paint w/o ppf

1 - 20 of 34 Posts