Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I am almost a quart short and so is another .net member with FI. Is it normal to use/burn oil with F/I. Drivin about 2000 miles since oil change. :-?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
He means oil not the gas gauge. I've had mobil synthetic in mine for almost 3K miles and it hasn't gone down much at all. But then again, my lead foot isn't as heavy as most other turbo owners though.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Yea, I was about a quart and a half short on mine, this was after about 3 grand of driving, probably 500 of that hard driving. So, this is normal? Or should I get the shop to do the tests to check for leaks? I guess if another member has the same set up as me and it is doing the same, it is the way it is going to be. I am running Mobil 1 10w-30 Synthetic.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
VVTIS said:
Also, when does the stock oil gauge notify of low oil?
typically if the gauges on the dash notify you that your temp is too high or the oil is low, you're already screwed. They are not very sensitive to those things. The only thing that's a mother in the car is the ODBII.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
So, is a quart and a half too much to over look when having FI and getting on it a few times a day over a 3K period?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
If you lost 1.5quarts out of your car you are running on 25% less oil. And you are stressing the engine w/ a s/c. I'm pretty sure the vortech uses the engine oil for lubrication and cooling as well. Being 25% low on oil will increase engine temperaters and increase possibility for overheating and detonation. It is very bad to be more than a quart low. With f/i, I'd say dangerous. In this situation w/ f/i I'd say much more than a .5 quart low is a problem. Keep an eye on it and throw an extra quart next to your spare tire in the trunk.

VVTIS said:
So, is a quart and a half too much to over look when having FI and getting on it a few times a day over a 3K period?

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
The Vortec uses a oil line correct? So maybe the engine isn't burning a quart. Maybe the S/C fed itself a quart from the main oil supply and thats why the car is running a quart low? Anybody hear what I am saying?

If I go the S/C route I think I am going to get a kit with a self-contained oil supply. It might be more of a pain to change the oil, but I like the fact that the S/C and my engine have their OWN supply of oil that they don't have to share.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
The Vortec uses a oil line correct? So maybe the engine isn't burning a quart. Maybe the S/C fed itself a quart from the main oil supply and thats why the car is running a quart low? Anybody hear what I am saying?

If I go the S/C route I think I am going to get a kit with a self-contained oil supply. It might be more of a pain to change the oil, but I like the fact that the S/C and my engine have their OWN supply of oil that they don't have to share.
I think the oil feed just sprays the oil on the SC gearing to lubricate it, it does not fill up with the oil.

IS_Dude, I know it is harsh on the engine to run in those conditions, but is it possible, that the driving I did caused the oil to be burnt, or do you think I may have a leak? How much oil do you go through, if any? I know you have a self contained, but the stress on the engine is still there. I have not seen any oil leaks on mine, or residue on the ground, I did notice whitish smoke this morning, it was kinda cold out, but not cold enough to produce that. It was not very dense, but white.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:

That's what I would figure. The turbo/sc is probably pulling the oil through itself taking oil out of the engine. If I am wrong, then please correct me, but I can't see how f/i (even though it puts more stress and heat in the engine/bay) would burn more oil. Oils today are made with high temp resistance.

Do a pressure check or check for leaks. I can't see why oil would be burning "faster" with f/i.

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
I would just fill it up to the line so it's full and keep a close eye on it. Norcal maybe right and it's just filling the feed and return line. I just assumed that after it was filled that you ran it and checked the level and it was fine. If not just fill her up and keep a close eye on it for a week or so. Also keep an eye out for smoke. White smoke isn't good. Black smoke under heavy throttle is no problem. It's just a rich condition.

lmk what it looks like after a couple days. If the oil level stays the same or not.

VVTIS said:
IS_Dude, I know it is harsh on the engine to run in those conditions, but is it possible, that the driving I did caused the oil to be burnt, or do you think I may have a leak? How much oil do you go through, if any? I know you have a self contained, but the stress on the engine is still there. I have not seen any oil leaks on mine, or residue on the ground, I did notice whitish smoke this morning, it was kinda cold out, but not cold enough to produce that. It was not very dense, but white.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
For leaks check for oil spots on the ground or on your plastic undercarriage. Check your air filter to see if there is any motor oil, pull the piping off your throttle body and check for oil in the pipe. And when you start the car check your exhaust to see if there is any bluish smoke coming out.

Put in another quart of oil, better yet, change out your oil and check your oil regulary to see if it's going down again.

All these are checks for oil leaks in a turbo car, I would assume it's the same for a supercharged IS300 but don't quote me on it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
IS_Dude said:
I would just fill it up to the line so it's full and keep a close eye on it. Norcal maybe right and it's just filling the feed and return line. I just assumed that after it was filled that you ran it and checked the level and it was fine. If not just fill her up and keep a close eye on it for a week or so. Also keep an eye out for smoke. White smoke isn't good. Black smoke under heavy throttle is no problem. It's just a rich condition.

lmk what it looks like after a couple days. If the oil level stays the same or not.

VVTIS said:
Thanks man, I get both colors of smoke, I am currently untuned, but I only got the white smoke once with the SC on, and that was this morning, it was at start up for about 10 seconds, then gone, I do not get it with it moving, at least I dont think I do, I do get the black gas, I am running very rich right now.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
superchargers and turbos actually have oil fed to them via the sending unit on the car's engine...they're not actually "sprayed"...if you open up a unit, you'll see what i'm talking about...then via gravity/pressure will make the oil go back into the engine via the return line...

as for the car consuming oil...that is not normal...not that much.

someone was saying they saw white smoke...what you can do is, next time this happens...put a thin, white cloth over your exhaust for a little bit and let the smoke run through the cloth...check the cloth after...if it's just condensation, it'll smell diff than if it's oil...

if you suspect your car leaking, check the above post...if there's no leaks...check your coolant...if it looks like a milshake, then you have a blown headgasket...you car should be running hotter than normal...if it looks normal get your car checked...maybe there's excessive blow-by or something...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
My oil has been fine. I use about a 1/2 quart more than usuall w/ the turbo...but thats it... Level doesn't go down or anything during driving.

Mobile 1 Synthetic

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
HyperMKIV said:
superchargers and turbos actually have oil fed to them via the sending unit on the car's engine...they're not actually "sprayed"...if you open up a unit, you'll see what i'm talking about...then via gravity/pressure will make the oil go back into the engine via the return line...

someone was saying they saw white smoke...what you can do is, next time this happens...put a thin, white cloth over your exhaust for a little bit and let the smoke run through the cloth...check the cloth after...if it's just condensation, it'll smell diff than if it's oil...

if you suspect your car leaking, check the above post...if there's no leaks...check your coolant...if it looks like a milshake, then you have a blown headgasket...you car should be running hotter than normal...if it looks normal get your car checked...maybe there's excessive blow-by or something...
Alright, I checked the coolant, a ok. I put a rag over the exhaust because it was a faint white smoke, not oil smelling, gas a condensation mixture, I think it was whitish because it was humid outside. So, what does it mean if I get a whitish smoke, not dense, and it does not smell like oil?

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
VVTIS said:
HyperMKIV said:

Alright, I checked the coolant, a ok. I put a rag over the exhaust because it was a faint white smoke, not oil smelling, gas a condensation mixture, I think it was whitish because it was humid outside. So, what does it mean if I get a whitish smoke, not dense, and it does not smell like oil?
it depends...usaually it's normal condensation...

so, it it's still eating oil...take it to a shop and have them check it out...that's the best advice i can give you right now...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.