Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy,
I just get off the phone with Scott (xpel technician)and he gave me the quote of $200 including the installation fee for the hood and fender xpel protection kit. Please let me know if this is a good price, also let me know if any one else is interesting in doing this too. Thanks

·
8,880 Posts
I guess, it is a decent price. It will be well worth it.
Get it ASAP, before you have to fix paint chips in order to put XPEL on.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I paid $150 ($100 for hood and fender kit, and $50 for the install). I think another $100 is a little steep for the install, but $175 would be a little more reasonable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How bad are the chips? Some day (when the economy turns around) I will enjoy an IS. I have some small chips (~5) on my current car, but it is 4 years old and all Cleveland driving. I keep hearing about the "soft" paint, and wanted to know how bad it really was. BTW, are any of you guys the gentleman that owns the Spectra Blue with the Rod Millen Sticker that was parked in the Warehouse District last Thursday after work? It looked real nice, I just saw it from across the street.

·
8,880 Posts
The chips are trully bad on this car. I have Graphite Gray color and you can see every single paint chip, expecially after waxing the car. Now that I put the front end mask on, I can no longer see them, so I feel much better.
I don't think the SBM is around here.
We've had 2 Cleveland meets so far.
We've got 2 DWP, 1 MSM, 1 GGP - me

P.S.
I can't wait for the economy to turn around either.

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: vlad_a ]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wasn't me either. I have a SBM, but its bone stock with exception to 32% tint all around. Waiting on my Area 51 intake... still trying to decide if I should get an exhaust.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Originally posted by vlad_a:
I can't wait for the economy to turn around either.

Yeah...I agree with you on that. Very sorry to hear your current situation!!

The front end of my IS was always a mess, so I finally got a front end mask. I like it so far. Wish I would have opted for it months ago!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the replies, gentleman. I'm in a commission based business and I'm getting killed this year. If last year was like this year I would have had an IS in April (what a difference a year makes!) I bought a condo instead of a car last year and made a big downpayment. I guess I'll appreciate my IS much more when I do buy one.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by LXS4Ross:
Yeah...I agree with you on that. Very sorry to hear your current situation!!

...I finally got a front end mask
Thanks. I'm sending my Resumes all over the place.

So did you buy the Colgan Custom one???

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but is the clear bra really that noticable? I definately want to protect the IS that I am picking up in 8 days (and counting), but I don't want to ruin the look of the car. Is it noticable from close up? Can rain or dirt get stuck inside of it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by MrAbear:
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but is the clear bra really that noticable? I definately want to protect the IS that I am picking up in 8 days (and counting), but I don't want to ruin the look of the car. Is it noticable from close up? Can rain or dirt get stuck inside of it?

Thanks.
No, no and no.

It's very hard to see from any distance over 6 feet away from the car, and in some light even 3 feet.

It waxes, washes and shines just like your paint job, and anyone walking by the car or driving next to it will never see it. The only dirt that can get under it is the dirt that was there during the install, so make sure the hood it clean before you put it on. My sig pic has it on, and it goes 10" up the hood and also covers the mirrors.

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: SilverLex ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Vlad,

You have a private message. I'm an IT headhunter. It seems we are in the same boat, but maybe we can help each other out. I do have a few Cleveland openings.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by RichardTrickle:
Vlad,

You have a private message. I'm an IT headhunter. It seems we are in the same boat, but maybe we can help each other out. I do have a few Cleveland openings.
I just e-mailed you.
Thank you.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
I don't understand why can't they make the clear bra cover the whole hood?!
That's a good point. Maybe it's hard to keep the plastic on such a large area.

Why not make it the factory option in the first place?

I don't know a sigle person that likes paint chips, or one that doesn't have them.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If you look in front of the rear tires, there is some xpel type material (3M scotchcal) protecting that area that comes from the factory. This is very similar to xpel, but it's a little bit thicker. But it should give you a good idea on what it looks like.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
8 Participants
vlad_a
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing