Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Please,

I really want to get XM satellite with my stock IS system, I do not want to use a tape adapter(delphi) that defeats the quailty of the signal. Can anyone give me suggestions to systems and the setups required. How Much money??? What is the best?

Thanks,

02 onyx - Vis Dual Vented Carbon Fiber Hood - G2 Red Calipers - JSP "The CF Blade" - Omega Max 2 Way Alarm

·
Registered
508 Posts
if you don't want to use a tape adapter, you can always get a FM modulator. it's about $49.99 +tax.

·
8,880 Posts
Neither Tape nor FM Modulator will provide high quality sound.
AUX Mod is the best solution.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No doubt, Aux is definitely the best method. If I wasn't such a dweeb, I'd go for the AUX mod. But I am, sooo....

I just installed the XM Roady in my car and it sounds excellent!! I was really worried about how it would sound going through my tape deck, but the sound is really nice. Plus, you can set the audio level from 1 to 9 so the volume matches your radio or CD level. 7 matches the radio volume pretty well, but I went to 9..... just because. :p

Note: XM ranks the input sound quality as follows.
BEST - Direct connect (AUX/RCA)
2nd BEST - Tape deck
BETTER - Wired FM Modulator
GOOD - Wireless FM Modulator

The Roady sounds clean and loud. With a couple of my CD's, I've had to turn the volume to "12 o'clock" to satisfy my eardrums. I haven't gone past "10 o'clock" (yet) with the Roady. Of course, if the volume is down too low you're gonna hear the cassette adaptor spinning in the tape deck.

You can install the Roady yourself. If you don't like it, take it back. No installation money lost. AND you get a free home kit if you order before 12/31.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got the alpine xm with the rf adapter and I think that it sounds fine. its not cd sound like it should be, but Its just fine for me. also I mounted the screen down by the track button and it looks nice and clean !

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
just a quick question......will adding auxiliary input to the stock unit produce CD quality sound like it's supposed to? If so....hmmmm...sounds like something I'd be interested in.........

·
Registered
166 Posts
xencloud said:
just a quick question......will adding auxiliary input to the stock unit produce CD quality sound like it's supposed to? If so....hmmmm...sounds like something I'd be interested in.........
Yep! Going through an AUX input is the best method. That's according to satellite radio installation instructions (and a few .netters).

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
What is this Auxilliary Mod? I haven't even looked at the back of our stock headunits yet. Are there Aux plugs? I'm guessing not. How are people modding this??

·
8,880 Posts
davefisher said:
What is this Auxilliary Mod? I haven't even looked at the back of our stock headunits yet. Are there Aux plugs? I'm guessing not. How are people modding this??
Here is one way to do it.
Here is another.

I would recommend going the second route, even though it requires to have a blank audio or a data CD playing in the stock CD-Changer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts