Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok will the xerd ss race y pipe mate up with an HKS carbon fiber-ti? anyone know the pipe diameter on the y pipe?

also is this a good Y-pipe to go with compared to the other ones available for our cars?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
it should line up fine because if you go from the engine back its:

engine- header- y pipe- b pipe- exhaust

for you it would be,

engine - header- xerd race y pipe - b pipe- hks exhaust.

so i dont see why it WOULDNT fit at all.. both of your pipes will connect to the stock b pipe.

just be sure to get it installed by someone who knows what they are doing. or else you will get leaks.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yeah it fits fine, I wouldnt recommend it however. The flanges on the Xerd y pipe is really crappy and you may run into leaks, which if can be avoided, should.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I put my Xerd in about 4 years and 80,000 miles ago. It fit perfectly and it's been completely problem free. I used a new exhaust ring when I installed it and have never had a leak. It sounds excellent with my L-Tuned exhaust and definitely freed up some horsepower. I strongly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I put my Xerd in about 4 years and 80,000 miles ago. It fit perfectly and it's been completely problem free. I used a new exhaust ring when I installed it and have never had a leak. It sounds excellent with my L-Tuned exhaust and definitely freed up some horsepower. I strongly recommend it.
I strongly dont reccomend it...

Were/Are you running the stock header? I had major problems with my setup, primarily b/c the design of the flange.

The amount of hp gain with a y-pipe swap is so nominal that the weather conditions of that specific day could vary the dyno more dramatically than the gains provided by the swap. Your really just making the car slightly louder IMO.

This topic has been extensively covered years ago with dyno proof, further more, most veterans that you talk to that have extensively modded their cars in a number of ways, including myself, will often tell you just to leave it out and spend the money on something else.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The Y-pipe in combination with a Joe Z intake added power for me.
The dyno results that have been posted many times on this website showing no gain with a y-pipe were on cars with a header. That is why the consensus on normally aspirated IS300's is to do one or the other, but not both. Doing both typically kills low end power due to a lack of backpressure in the exhaust. My low end is still excellent.
If you do an intake to improve airflow, there is definitely a benefit to be had by removing the y-pipe cat and the restriction it creates.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all.

Honestly im not doing the y-pipe for power. I know that you are not exactly wasting your time but its money that can be better spent by trying to built a NA is300.

I am doing it because my HKS cf ti is only an axle back and i would like something a lil louder. so instead of buying a new exhaust with a cat back im just going to replace either the b or y pipe. I have a Weapon R intake but will be going to the SRT w/ Race ECU soon.

If i want it a lil louder i know the y-pipe and the b pipe will accomplish that.

Which one do you prefer. I have done research on everything but haven't been able to pull the trigger on a specific pipe or kind. I think i would really like to replace the b pipe but i can get the xerd y pipe for about $100 shipped so i thought about the y pipe.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If all you want is to make your exhaust lauder then i would go with the xerd as long as it is the SS one. If its the first gen ceramic one it will also make your exhaust stick out of your bumper a few inches... And that could lead to a hole new set of issues. Make sure you replace the exhaust manifold to y-pipe gasket when you install the new y-pipe though or it will leak, you can use new stock gaskets and you'll be fine just make sure you get them lined up correctly. GL.

Reactions: MoonlightSilver_IS
1 - 8 of 8 Posts