Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any difference, other than material, between the ceramic and ss? i've tried searching for it but i must be an idiot, can't find the answer to this question :roll:

the only thing i can think of is the difference in material density (noise), thermal expansion, and toughness of material. why did they change it to ss? were the ceramics cracking under high temps? if done right, ceramics do handle much higher temperatures, it's just that it doesnt handle shock as well. anyway, any helpful info will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
no difference! It's just the SS doesn't rust and pit like the cermic coated would. Essentially the SS will last longer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i believe the sensor is before the secondary cat, so it only monitors the primary cat. Hence, no cel. i'll know for sure this weekend :wink:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
there are three O2 sensors on our cars. Two of them are on the manifold as there are two cats there. The third O2 sensor is on the midpipe where there is another cat that is being replaced by the XERD Racepipe that has no cat. I think it will be fine as it is the last sensor on our exhaust system. Thus it may or may not throw a CEL. If it does then an O2 sensor is in order to correct the problem.

There are many .netters that have this racepipe on their IS's. They can give you better answer than I. I am going by what I read on this message board.

I am considering to add this to my Toyomoto Catback exhaust but my concern is how much louder or if the racepipe will make the car sound raspy. I know I will gain more ponies by adding it but concern is in the effect of the tone with my exhaust.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i reset the ecu when i installed mine and no cel. but i think a lot of others didn't reset the ecu and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The race pipe is not made of pure ceramic. I don't know if you know that. But it is coated in ceramic, this coating reflects heat. So with hot exhuast gasses passing through the pipe it will keep the heat inside the exhaust, thus keeping the exhaust from cooling and becoming denser and having a slow velocity. The increasing of the density (without ceramic coating) gives a greater chance for a turbulant flow of air and causes more backpressure.

Stainless steel just looks pretty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts