Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know how to explain this without being able to take a good picture or show yall in person but ill try my best. On my front windshield, on the driver side, there seems to be some kind of strange defect in the glass. Starting from the edge near the A pillar and then streaking down with the windshield wiper to the hood is some kind of oily reside that will not come off. Its especially annoying b/c when I use my windshield wipers it creates this smudge of water infront of my face making it hard to see in the rain. I also noticed that when I wet my windshield during washing I can see the water coagulate in the area where the "oily" residue is. I have tried replacing my windshield wipers, used alcohol, used different types of glass cleaning products, and tried waxing/polishing/buffing it off. I even tried Goo-Gone. Nothing seems to work. I think there is some kind of invisible film on the windshield that might have come off in that specific area. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't they use some sort of film covering/coating to make it safety glass? Is it the original windshield or has it been previously replaced?
That would make sense. The anti shatter stuff they use on the windshields... I wonder if its possible for that to peel off unannounced. Never had my windshield replaced, this is the factory windshield my car came with when I got it in 2003. The really weird thing is, it all started out of no where, when I had my bosch Icon windshield wipers (not saying its the wipers fault...or is it..). I have never used any kind of dangerous chemical on my glass before my attempt at trying to remove that residue. I hardly ever clean my glass with cleaners, I just wash my car with car wash and thats it. The other weird thing is it seems to follow the pattern of the windshield wipers up and down motion and only in that one spot. I thought if I replaced my bosch Icons with RainX lattitude wipers the problem would disappear but it has not.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The safety film is inside the glass, its Laminated glass,
Sound like its grease or silicone.
Try using a solvent, keep it away from the paint and rubber. Maybe Alcohol isn't strong enough or wont remove what it is, maybe try Acetone.
Then a strong detergent.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: GalletGun

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Bosch wipers SUCK man, I had the same problem but mine came off after washing it with soap.

Try this, go to Home Depot and buy some denatured alcohol or some Goof Off.... BUT BE CAREFUL WITH THE GOOF OFF MAN!! That shit will eat anything that is plastic in seconds. And DO NOT get it on your paint.. bye bye clear coat

Use both of them to clean the windshield. Do not spray either of them on your windshield directly, pour them onto a towel and wipe accordingly. Also replace your shitty Bosch wipers, go OEM or Rain-X...

Good luck my friend

Reactions: GalletGun

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks alot for all the info!! I never would of thought of using those cleaning agents. I will definitely try this and dont worry I will be careful. :)

Also, I have rainx lattitude wipers now and trust me I am never going back to Bosch wipers. Piece of junk!

+rep to you all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad to hear the Bosch wipers are garbage. I was debating between those and the Tricoh. I had Michelin wipers that were noisy from day one and the Tricohs have been a night and day difference from the Michelin.

You can clay bar your windshield, too. Also try adding a layer of RainX. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
Ok, the lamination with the glass is actually SANDWICHED between two pieces of glass....yes your windshield is 2 pieces of glass.

Next get some CLR and news paper then start cleaning away. THEN go get brand new wiper blades from Lexus. (theyre impregnated with graphite, neat stuff! you never need to use rain-x) THEN wipe them (dry) on the windshield for about 5 minutes. Recheck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ok, the lamination with the glass is actually SANDWICHED between two pieces of glass....yes your windshield is 2 pieces of glass.

Next get some CLR and news paper then start cleaning away. THEN go get brand new wiper blades from Lexus. (theyre impregnated with graphite, neat stuff! you never need to use rain-x) THEN wipe them (dry) on the windshield for about 5 minutes. Recheck.

glad somebody else here knows the newspaper trick ;)

·
Registered
675 Posts
so you buy the Lexus windshield wiper and you don't ned to put the rainx rain repellent on the windshield?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CLR and newspaper..hmmm.. I will try this first and see what happens. Seems like an easier thing to do as those items are easier to aquire. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
Ok, the LEXUS blades are impregnated with GRAPHITE! Yeah that gray powder crap you put on your pinewood derby car wheels when you were a kid. IF you put Rain-X on your windshield when using them it will smear all over the god damn place.

I have been using NOTHING BUT the Lexus wipers for 2 years now. I replace them every 6 months (JUST the little replaceable rubber strip which is all of $6 per strip) Because I'm a freak who must have a perfectly clear windshield at all times. First sign of streaking and BAM I replace them.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
You can also try claybar on the winshield.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.