Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ladies and gents... New here.. name's Kris... Need some ass istance馃榿... It's an 05 with 225 k.. 3 days of haites continues.. first I thought just low on water.. and feed tube was broken off right below radiator cap.. changed radiator. Still... About 20 miles in, temp skyrockets... Changed thermostat... Now, check engine light on and flashing and rough idle.. head gasket maybe??? Thoughts, suggestions???

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Update:. The head gasket is blown.. and I'm still new to alot of this so it has been an extreme learning curve for me. And in my haste, I didn't slow down long enough to do thorough research. But it is the head gasket. Alot of white smoke from exhaust, along with alot of water. So we're going to just go ahead and do an engine swap. Found an engine local for 800 bucks that only has 100,000 miles on it. My engine is at 221k... Time factor and expense factor, swap seems like the better option. Disheartening situation, but it is what it is. Thanks guys for your input. And I will keep updating the progress. Any suggestions anyone has on tricks or tips for swap, things I should go ahead and replace otherwise, or "Lexus" fail-safes would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely taking advantage of the opportunity to learn more. Indo love this car, and it's worth it to me to sink the money into it for repairs.

Registered
Update:. The head gasket is blown.. and I'm still new to alot of this so it has been an extreme learning curve for me. And in my haste, I didn't slow down long enough to do thorough research. But it is the head gasket. Alot of white smoke from exhaust, along with alot of water. So we're going to just go ahead and do an engine swap. Found an engine local for 800 bucks that only has 100,000 miles on it. My engine is at 221k... Time factor and expense factor, swap seems like the better option. Disheartening situation, but it is what it is. Thanks guys for your input. And I will keep updating the progress. Any suggestions anyone has on tricks or tips for swap, things I should go ahead and replace otherwise, or "Lexus" fail-safes would be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely taking advantage of the opportunity to learn more. Indo love this car, and it's worth it to me to sink the money into it for repairs.
Do your timing belt, seals, and pump. While out. Maybe valve cover gaskets and plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts