Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here's the situation. I've noticed my car has been doing this lately. Sometime while i'm driving i notice my car hanging in 2nd gear for like 2 seconds before it shifts. The car revs untill about 4-5rpm then it shifts. If i go WOT then the car wont shift untill 6-7rpm. I hardly ever drive my car hard or even race. This happened occasionally before getting my 60k service and now it's been doing it a lot. I dunno if you guys can understand so lemme try to do a scenario. I'm at a stop light and press the gas(i usually drive under 3k rpms, like i said i don't really get on it) 1st is cool then 2nd the gas is down but car is not going anywhere cuz gear is stuck in 2nd so the rpms climb till about 4-5k then shifts then car proceeds through the other gears no problem. I know there was a TSB for the 01's about an ECU problem and that lexus would reflash it for you. I own a CPO and it is still under the warranty. But upon reading the issue about the ECU prob i took it to lexus and they said my car's VIN# didn't fall into that paticular range that had that problem. This has been an ongoing prob with my car lately and wanted to know should i just take it to lexus and have them take a look or is there a quick DIY that will help me get my car the way it was? please help any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
i would take it in and have them reflash the ECU anyways.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
you can try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and pressing the brake for a few seconds to discharge any remaining power. then reconnect and take your car for a nice hard spin. assuming your maf, air filter and oil are fresh and clean.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Wow, My ride does that tooo. It did that sometime When I had an Intake. But Know that I have a Supercharger It does it more Often.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It doesn't matter. The guy was just being lazy to set you up for maintenance. I had the same problem. Just tell them that it is shifting harshly and that you know about the re-flashing of the ecu. Tell them that since you still are under warranty to set it up for a maintenance call. That's what I did.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Coffee & Cream said:
It doesn't matter. The guy was just being lazy to set you up for maintenance. I had the same problem. Just tell them that it is shifting harshly and that you know about the re-flashing of the ecu. Tell them that since you still are under warranty to set it up for a maintenance call. That's what I did.
^^yah im gonna do that first thing tomorrow. It's been doing it a lot less now. But still 2nd is shifting harsh.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is there a chance it could be my MAF sensor.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I was under the impression that even if you were out of warranty, Lexus made the reflash free for 8yrs/80K miles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
mine was doing the same thing and the dealer found an error or osmehting and fixed it. no problems sense

1 - 10 of 10 Posts