Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has now done this 2 times in the last 4 days. I was driving in e-shift one the freeway and all of a sudden my car felt like it downshifted into 3rd and all my dash lights came on. I immediatley put it into "D". I was moving over to the left to stop and then my car came back to life and everything seemed fine and all the dash lights went off. Before this happened my radio kept cutting in and out on cds and the radio. It didnt do it at all the next day. Then today I was just sitting at a stop light and my car just died. All the dash lights came on again. I was able to restart it though. WTF! I havent really had any problems with my car until now. Im going to make a appointment at the dealer, but it sucks because I dont want to go there with my intake. So im going to switch it out before I take it. Has anyone else experienced this before? Or does anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rats, perhaps?

What's happening sounds like an electronics problem, and Japanese cars are usually bulletproof in that regard, except when it comes to rodents gnawing at the wiring.

Stimpykat (from the first meet) had that happen to his IS.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had a similar problem a few weeks back and I too posted a message here.

Basically I came to a stop light, car came to a complete stop and then it died.

But it never happened again. Car is running fine. I put it off as a fluke. I will mention it at my next oil change.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I unhooked the piggyback, blew on the connection, then reonnected!

All is fine now! I seriously think some A--hole at the dealership messed with it when I got the oil changed! My problems occured the next morning!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
a piggyback?? ya know when you give somebody a ride on your back..

actually, i dont know the technical terms, but i believe it works in conjunction with your stock ecu..to alter certain ratios (air/fuel) to compensate for the new amount of air flow..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Definitely electronics issues, you need to take it in ASAP. Ya never know what can happen.

------------------
-------
'01 Diamond Pearl White IS 300 with Factory Spoiler

·
11,062 Posts
The only time I had a car just die was with a 1975 Olds Cutlass Supreme some years ago...The high voltage coil gave up the ghost. (At least that is what the repair shop told me it was...how do I know?) Anyway, I was driving down the road and the car just shut off. I re-started and went on my way. A few days later...same thing. Weird feeling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah, check all wiring and hoses...it'll be obvious if you have rodent damage, droppings, food, urine, etc. Damm rat actually took refuge under my engine cover between the engine block and knawed(sp?) out the spark plug wires, upper coolant hose, and some other sensor wiring. I could'nt see any of the damage with the engine cover on, when the Lexus tech showed me I was speechless. I've since removed the cover, looks better without it anyways with the SRT intake, anyways goodluck

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got my car into lexus after my car was dying ever time I turned it off. Lexus replaced my battery and said that there was a short in it. I guess we will see if this fixes the problem.

On a side note, I had to drive a crappy Chevy Cavalier because they didnt have any loaners available, so they had to call enterprise. What a POS! When i would go around a corner I thought I was going to roll the thing. When I got my car back I had the biggest smile on my face

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Black IS, Did you remove your intake? Hunt, how did they react when you took your car in with the intake?

[ April 05, 2001: Message edited by: VVTIS ]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
Black_IS300
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing