Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i go to a drive thru with music off and driver's window down. I turned my steering wheel all the way to the left and there's like this noise. So i turned it all the way to right and the same noise happens. Does anyone have this noise?
I'm going to take my car to dealer, but i don't want them to focking give me that same "it's normal" crap. I never heard that kinda noise in any other car.
So i rolled up my window and did the same thing. With window up, I can't really hear as loud, but I can still hear it.

Mine's 03 with 15000 miles. Anyone else ever had it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That sound is perfectly normal. You're hearing a pressure build-up in the power steering fluid. Its a bad idea to turn the wheel all the way to the lock and strain the power steering pump. Some owners manuals state that you shouldn't have the wheel turned at full lock for more than a short time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds normal, its also generally a bad idea to turn the wheels while totally motionless, puts undue strain in the steering componets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? I never knew that. And all my cars have been equipped with power steering, but I never heard this in any of my previous cars.
But thanks a lot for your help guys. I always learn something new from you guys. :D

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I've heard it in every power-steering car I've ever owned. ,'=\

I think you were misinformed about your last cars if you never heard that noise but thought you had power steering. Either that, or you never turned the wheel to lock in them.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Has to be the power steering pump. Mine is bad as it is since I started the car w/ no fluid in it and ruin it. So right now, if you let the car warm up before turning the wheel, its much quieter, but if you turn it all the way you hear an awful grinding sound.

I'd imagine thats what your're hearing also, but on a smaller scale

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
holy crap, this thread it 10 months, old, i thought we figured this out long long ago in a galaxy far far away.... our cars have powersteering... welcome to the year 2004...5 soon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
spiral cable is the noise?

i've read somewhere in the forums that there's a spiral cable (not sure if cruise, e-shift wiring or what) that sproings when the wheel is turned. i've had it happen sporadically myself. may want to do a search on that in case it's that...

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
anyone ever replace the PS pump? Mine is bad and it looks like it could be a PITA

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is very interesting, same thing happend to my fathers 03/Ls430 espcially when it's cold...i first heard that sound on my fiance's 03- Gs300 & i though something was wrong with the Cv joint, so i took it to PB Lex & they kept her car for 3 days but, couldn't fix it ..what's more interesting ever since i lowered my Is once in a while i hear that same sound, this time i took mine to Jm Lexus & they were like it's pretty normal..in all the new Lexus plus my car is lowered therefore the Service Advisor who is also my friend told me, get use to it.....Just to be on the rite track i also drove few of my friends Is300 as well & guess what they all sound the same...So, in conclusion do what the Jm Lex service Advisor told me "(Get use To it)

·
Registered
1 Posts
you guys are serious doing this guy dirty.. no it’s either the low tire hand rod on both sides or the suspension joints, go to a mechanic shop and ask them to check those areas specifically.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts