Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why am I not really experiencing any noticeable gains?

This week I installed a first generation Injen intake and a Tanabe Racing Medallion Catback exhaust... but I also put on my thick knobby winter tires with 16" allot rims.

Before this I had my stock 17" wheels and tires and only had a TOMs drop-in filter that I ran responsibly with the trapezoid cover off.

Why does it seem that my car is not that much more snappier, if at all? Is it because of my winter tire set-up? (I've never had winter tires put on my car before?) Do they slow a car's acceleration down that much?

Or is it that I have to let the VVT-i settings reconfigure?

I mean it sure as hell is LOUDER but it really doesn't seem that much quicker>??? Who knows maybe I'm just a freak and can't recognize the difference? Any comenst, advice?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You will not notice any fast gains....just noticable gains throughout the rpm range at certain point...just with any car intake and exhuast is not going to have you runnnin a whole lot faster...you want reel speed go turbo or supercharger...or even a bottle

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, I'm not sure if my mechanic did or not. He may have, but I don't think he does much mod work so it is possible he didn't. Was he supposed to do this? If so, should I have him do it now?

Do you think this is what it may be?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UnVme:
I see. Hmmm. Unfortunatley it almost feels less responsive than when I was just running my TOMs filter. I'm sure my winter tires are coming into play here too though.

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
Ok, I know you have to disconnect the power to reset the ECU but why do you step on the brake? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I'm going to try this. Also, I just talked to one of our Master Lexus mechanics and he said he's never heard of the stepping on the brake thing either. I'm going to do it anyway, but should I tell him why we are doing this?

So, I guess my winter tires have nothing to do with the lesser acceleration huh?

·
my.is Headlight Guru
4,786 Posts
But does anyone know what holding the brake down actually does? I was just wondering if it completes a circuit or something that clears the ECU.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
LCA575 said:
But does anyone know what holding the brake down actually does? I was just wondering if it completes a circuit or something that clears the ECU.
it helps discharge some of the capacitance stored... to make sure the car's circuitry is cleared up. this is much faster than disconnecting the battery for 20-30 minutes as some people have said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
Aubie83
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing