Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
peterc said:
i am looking to buy a black HKS 115mm silencer in the so cal area.
What is a black silencer? I have an hks silencer I want to sell but it isnt black.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
XxpNoisNxX said:
peterc said:
i am looking to buy a black HKS 115mm silencer in the so cal area.
What is a black silencer? I have an hks silencer I want to sell but it isnt black.
it comes from the factory black...

do you have a pix of your silencer? cuz i think there are two different styles.. whats your price?

Peter

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a 120mm silencer right now.. the guy got me the wrong size.. the 115mm is on backorder right now, but i was hoping that someone would have one for sale. hehe

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
there are two designs for the Hiper silencer... the original one was two thin steel baffle plates werlded onto the central thin steel tube...

THESE SUCKED ASS!!!!!! :bitching:

I had 3 of them literally CRACK on me in less than 3 months of usage
the baffle platres would regularly crack off the central tube.. .creating a NICELY shitty sounding buzz/ rattle at the muffler from the inner baffle & the central tube vibrating around in there..... :x

I took them all in to the local muffler shop & had them rewelded again... HKS used only 3 tiny tack welds to connect the two baffles to the central tube... & the material was SOOO thin that the exh heat & vibrations just caused them to crack like the POS's they were... i then lost two of them, one was my fault ( don't ask... :x ) & one was lost when the foking bolt worked loose & it fell out somewhere on the way home...........the final one i sold with my 1st hiper ...

NOW there is a new design that is better... it is made from thicker steel material & it is all flat black painted... not raw ss like the last ones... & it has a " funnel" shaped baffle that is welded to the central tube...just one baffle & it is a much nicer looking design much like the tanabe & others etc... but it STILL only uses 3 slightly larger than before tack welds to keep it all together... :roll: i will be taking this one in to reinforce it soon...

these are the now referred to as the " black" silencers... about 45 bux ea., 50 max or you are getting ripped.....

edg

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
??????????????

All the silencers I spoke of were bolted in that way... :roll:

OH WAIT.........actually the new "black" one only has ONE hole in it....????

.....I thot of only using one bolt but that ends up kinda pulling it to one side... & then it rests SLIGHTLY off center in the muffler & i figgered that might cause it to rattle or worse... work loose & it'll fall out again... so i just bolted in the one side loosly & drilled a new hole in the silencer thru the second hole in the tip & added the 2nd bolt....

it is solid as A rock now....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts