Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, I already had a gte aristo motor I bought in 2017 off ebay and it sat in my garage forever until the pandemic hit and I got laid off and decided to sell it. I bought it for around $1600 and sold it on February this year for $5k, great right? WRONG! I knew I was going to do my swap eventually so I thought I could buy another when the time comes.

Long story short finally got a great job and now looking to buy another. I checked out eBay and it blew my mind! The cheapest I could find was like $7k.

Anyone know where else I could source a motor and trans,r154, for a good price? Any advice would be great, thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
know where else I could source a motor and trans,r154,
Unless you just have to have a GTE, it would be much cheaper/cost effective to get a spare GE. Hone the block, get a set of GTE rods and pistons, re-ring/gasket it. For 7000$ you could probably get aftermarket forged rods and pistons, line bore for billet mains, and maybe even buy a single turbo and manifold if you wait for a deal. That’s all assuming you want to run a stand-alone, and not the stock twins/gte ecu.

R154’s are overpriced. I’d advise finding a compatible-year AR5 transmission and parts while they’re still available and before all the FB driftbois and covid makes it overpriced, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting a New R154 delivered at my shop next week. 3,800 usd. I will most likely move to the t-56 on the next swap. Like Kris said. Find a block and do a full build. And never sell it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
^ I'm with them

Unless my vision was to capture the heart/soul of a stock GTE, or I was just unwilling to go inside the engine to install new rods/pistons - I'd start with a GE.

The disadvantages I see to the GE are:

1. You've gotta go into it to replace rods/pistons
2. Every intake manifold solution (that I'm aware of) is a bummer for one reason or another (stock GE, aftermarket, GTE)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Even though I have a GTE swapped IS, I'm with them on building the GE. With the prices of GTE and R154 right now (and still going up), building the GE to what you want will probably save you more money and you don't have to worry about an GTE with unknown problems that you might have to rebuild anyways. With the money saved, get a T56. The R154 shifts aren't buttery smooth either. Build the GE and do a T-56 and don't look back.

·
Registered
982 Posts
This is nuts. I know this is asking price, not selling price. I did a filter search for sold/completed and a gte+r154 sold for 8500$ in April. I saw a 1J+r154 for 8000$ from June. I remember when I was looking for a engine, you could get gte+v160 sub $10k. Probs some old schoolers on here remember them even cheaper priced. You can build a badass GE for that sort of money.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Whats nuts is that someone WILL PAY UP. Stock miatas for 10k? Someone will buy it. 240sx for over 10? Sure.

Look at the price imports are selling for as well. There's either plenty of money to go around or a lot of people yolo'ing their shit nowadays.

It's just not sustainable, build your GE if its in good condition, at least you wouldnt be gambling on a junkyard engine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I think the main reason everything increased so dramatically is coz of covid. Literally everything that is considered a hobby related has tripled in resale value.

My thing is that I've always wanted the gte in my US, I had a friend that went the route since of you guys mentioned but with a gs300. They had just a gte head I think if I remember right, and they've got a ton of power after building up intervals and boosting, and Ive never been a fan of the way the GE looked with the manifold going over top, I dunno I guess I'll just keep on searching.

As far as the r154, I might do the AR5 instead. Recently I've seen a new R154 on titan's page for $3k, still a lot, but brand new so I dunno. There's really no rush. It just sux, now that I'm financially stable the market is insane lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even though I have a GTE swapped IS, I'm with them on building the GE. With the prices of GTE and R154 right now (and still going up), building the GE to what you want will probably save you more money and you don't have to worry about an GTE with unknown problems that you might have to rebuild anyways. With the money saved, get a T56. The R154 shifts aren't buttery smooth either. Build the GE and do a T-56 and don't look back.
I'll definitely check out the t56, thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
Toyota did still have GTE heads brand new, and brand new shortblock GTE’s. They were availiable but I don’t know nowadays with all the crazy. Somebody was making an adapter to mate a GE lower intake and a GTE upper intake. It added some to the height and width, so I dunno if it would work in the Is300…here it is. May get you a way of forward facing manifold.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I remember when GTE engine was $1,800 shipped and R154 was like $700. Then everyone decided to put that combo into BMW, 240s, and everything in between. Demand is way higher than supply now so prices are skyrocketing! Maybe you can find someone selling their IS that is already swapped. Expect to pay a pretty penny for it though unless you find a killer deal.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Somebody was making an adapter to mate a GE lower intake and a GTE upper intake. It added some to the height and width, so I dunno if it would work in the Is300…here it is. May get you a way of forward facing manifold.
The manifold fits with the adaptor, but is a bit of a can of worms:

You've gotta grind a pretty good clearance notch into one of the diagonal braces on the underside of the hood.

Throttle options are limited. The only (basically) plug and play choice is the GTE-VVTi throttle, which is rare and costly. Else, a cable throttle is incompatible with an automatic trans, and a DBW throttle will require a new ecu.

You'll need to buy some bits/pieces to relocate the power steering reservoir - suction port adaptor, reservoir, at least one power steering hose.

You'll need to re-route the power steering cooler lines, but you'd need to do that on a GTE swap as well.

Frankly, I think that aside from the aesthetics of the over-the-valvecover GE manifold, the only real disadvantage is not being able to do a neat/powerful IGN1A coil setup. That said, theres no reason you couldn't remote-mount the bank of IGN1A coils and use long plug wires to get to the plugs... Still, the FFIM is definitely far nicer to look at.

For anyone that cares, I'm working on this GTE FFIM conversion, and updating my progress here:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts