Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven the new WRX. I know someone posted a comparison of both cars a while ago but i cant find the post. Can someone give me their opinion about the car. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very fun car to drive. They have seats kind of like ours, feels like some type of simulated suede-like material. Love that 5-spd and the ride is much more forgiving with out the loss of control or traction. Wish we had a 5-spd on our 01's and awd. However, it is still butt ugly, really that huge a$$ booty is so ugly! the front is ok, however, unless they are going to sell the wrx at invoice or below, I would not buy as second car.

·
Registered
403 Posts

·
8,107 Posts
I was hot for the WRX for years, and finally got to drive it, and while it's a blast to drive on winding roads, it's not as well rounded as the IS300, which is a blast to drive but also comfortable and a great highway car. The WRX is also not fast enough to blow you away, especially at high speeds (60+). For a 2nd car, I'd take the WRX, for your only car, the IS300 (manual) is better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a WRX on order, but after recieving a raise, decided to wait for the IS manual to come out, and will probably go that route.
But for those mod happy people, the WRX is endless fun. Italian Stallion was scared off by the CE lights, but the fact of the matter is, the # of cars with CE lights was rather small in relation to the # on the street, especially considering the lights were not serious, just false alarms that did not affect the cars performance.
If you're concerned with nothing but performance, the WRX is without a doubt for you. But if civility and good looks play into your decision, the IS might be worth the extra 5-7K.

Chad

·
Registered
125 Posts
VvtiS300,

WRX is a more sporty car than the IS300. The IS300 is a more luxurious looking car than the WRX.

I'd rather pimp in a IS300 and I would rather race a WRX. I saw a gang of subaru's at the autocross this weekend. They had pretty damn good times. Check out the pic:

http://www.theprogramcompany.com/Mark/autox/DSCN0081.JPG

But, like everyone says...if you have a IS300, the WRX would be a great 2nd car...I would love to have the WRX as a 2nd car.

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: Unicron ]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Posted by ckolsen:
The WRX is also not fast enough to blow you away, especially at high speeds (60+). For a 2nd car, I'd take the WRX, for your only car, the IS300 (manual) is better.
ckolsen,

Why would the IS300 be a better primary car than the WRX? The 4 wheel drive is so much more advantageous to rear wheel drive...especially for all season weather.

The WRX would definately not blow you away when you guys are already moving...if the IS300 (manual) and the WRX were racing starting at 60 MPH...I would expect the WRX to be at least a car length ahead by 100 MPH.

Now, from a stoplight drag race...a WRX would smoke a manual IS300. WRX can run a 13.9 1/4 mile at the drag strip.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Granted they don't appear to be serious. However, there also appear to be quite a few of the lights - check out the seperate CE light log over at the Scooby site and you will see more than 30 owners that have reported the problem. That seems pretty significant, and I'm not interested in potentially having to take the car into the dealer every few weeks just to ensure the CE light is not something serious.

Were it not the the CE lights and Subaru's apparent reluctance to publicly address the issue, I would have purchased the car.

Originally posted by RacerinLSL:
I had a WRX on order, but after recieving a raise, decided to wait for the IS manual to come out, and will probably go that route.
But for those mod happy people, the WRX is endless fun. Italian Stallion was scared off by the CE lights, but the fact of the matter is, the # of cars with CE lights was rather small in relation to the # on the street, especially considering the lights were not serious, just false alarms that did not affect the cars performance.
If you're concerned with nothing but performance, the WRX is without a doubt for you. But if civility and good looks play into your decision, the IS might be worth the extra 5-7K.

Chad

·
8,107 Posts
If I can have only one car, I'd like it to inspire me not just with its performance, but its looks, interior comfort, stereo, and comfort for passenger friends/family etc. I think the IS300 does this much better than a WRX, which is purely performance. I also think the steering and brake feel is better in the IS300 than WRX, and that's a huge factor for me.
About speed, I think the WRX is fast, but not enough that you're like "Wow, I have to buy this car" just for its performance. The STi version in 2003 will be the one to buy.

Originally posted by Unicron:
ckolsen,

Why would the IS300 be a better primary car than the WRX? The 4 wheel drive is so much more advantageous to rear wheel drive...especially for all season weather.

The WRX would definately not blow you away when you guys are already moving...if the IS300 (manual) and the WRX were racing starting at 60 MPH...I would expect the WRX to be at least a car length ahead by 100 MPH.

Now, from a stoplight drag race...a WRX would smoke a manual IS300. WRX can run a 13.9 1/4 mile at the drag strip.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If I couldn't have gotten the loan for the turbo kit and the lights on the WRX were different, it would have been a very difficult choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I can have only one car, I'd like it to inspire me not just with its performance, but its looks, interior comfort, stereo, and comfort for passenger friends/family etc. I think the IS300 does this much better than a WRX, which is purely performance. I also think the steering and brake feel is better in the IS300 than WRX, and that's a huge factor for me.
ckolsen,

Gotcha...you picked luxury over performance...nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Forget about comparing performance figures for just a moment.

What about styling and looks? I've read a lot of that in previous posts. IMO, I can't stand the look of the WRX. It's ugly as sin. The front end just looks stupid and the back is just as lame. Again, my personal opinion.

As far as styling goes and overall comfort, I'll take my IS300 any day.

Scott.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tell a Girl you drive a Subaru, see her reation, Tell a girl you drive a Lexus, see her reaction. Nuff said. J/K But seriously, I had an old RS, turboed and all the goodies. It was fun and fast. But now that I have an IS, I just can't go back to the crappy interior and all the rattles. But if I could get into a WRX for half of what I pay now for my IS, I would do it.

Pics of my old RS www.tmrmzine.com/mybaby

·
8,107 Posts
I actually have a '95 BMW 325i - would have traded it for the WRX, but didn't like the WRX enough. Don't kid yourself about the WRX's performance, its not that much better than an IS300 (manual) or my 325i, if it was, I'd buy it. I'll happily trade luxury for performance, but the WRX performance is not enough to warrant the trade off. At highway speeds it's no quicker than my 325i.

Originally posted by Unicron:
ckolsen,

Gotcha...you picked luxury over performance...nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tell a girl you drive a Nissan Skyline R-34 or tell her you drive a Lexus! Then pick her up and she'd be like, I ain't sitting on that side, then I'd be like, well you ain't driving, then she would be like screw you! then I would drive home in alone in a Skyline...but wait...I'd be driving a Skyline...wow...forget the girl the skyline is like a 3500lbs set of cajones! Oh well just rambling

Originally posted by TMR IS300:
Tell a Girl you drive a Subaru, see her reation, Tell a girl you drive a Lexus, see her reaction. Nuff said. J/K But seriously, I had an old RS, turboed and all the goodies. It was fun and fast. But now that I have an IS, I just can't go back to the crappy interior and all the rattles. But if I could get into a WRX for half of what I pay now for my IS, I would do it.

Pics of my old RS www.tmrmzine.com/mybaby

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was trying to decide between the IS300 and the WRX. I finally decided on the WRX because it was cheaper, had all of the features I wanted, and had better performance. I'm also a sucker for awd.

One other reason is that currently own a Lexus and I am tired off all the crap I get for owning a Lexus. I guess I look younger than my age (28) but I still get all sorts of evil looks in my ES. I figure I have plenty of time left in my life to drive a Lexus and I will probably appreciate it much more when I am older anyway.

If you value luxury and high-quality interior materials, by all means go with the IS300; it is a great car (at least judging by the automatic). I would certainly buy it over any of its German competition.

It is certainly a lot nicer inside and out than the Subaru, as it should be considering the approximately $5k in price difference. To me, the interior isn't as big of a deal. I also wanted cloth so that makes the cars a bit more comparable.

Who knows, I may end up with a IS anyway. I put down a deposit on a WRX but I still haven't been able to drive one. They are in short enough supply here in St. Louis that my local dealer won't allow test drives. They will refund your deposit if you decide you don't like the car.

Good luck with your decision!

Jeff

·
8,107 Posts
Jeff, you'll love the car, don't worry about the test drive. Here in MA it's easy to get a test drive, I got one on the 2nd day they came out. A girl at work has one, and has gold STi wheels on it that look great.

[ April 26, 2001: Message edited by: ckolsen ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
RacerinLSL
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing