Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What should I do? Right now I have a 2001 IS300 w/ 52,000 miles and a extended warranty. I have been trying to sell it to get a supra but I haven't been able to sell it. One of my friends with a Subaru WRX turbo 2003 w/ 6,000 miles on it wants to make an even trade. What should I do, trade? Also what kind of cars can I expect to beat with a TBKO turbo kit in my car? Which will also be the quicker car in the end?

· Apricot idea killer
18,056 Posts
i ended up driving all three cars w.in about a month and noticed a huge (obvious) difference bt all three - the twin turbo supra felt like a rocket ship - gets up to high speeds VERY quickly, although loud and sounded like it was struggling to do so - i HATE the interior of it, many blind spots and the ride was bumpy b.c it had on 19" w. low profiles, but it looked sweet as all hell.......the turbo wrx was faster than the is, but it had a cheap feel, sound, and look - had poor handling compared to is - and of course you need no explanation about the is - id keep the is (it'll run forever) and add a turbo or sc to it

· Registered
20 Posts
Thats sort of my current problem....

Planning on buying a new car sometime with the next 6months a year and I've been looking at the 350Z and had been planning on dropping a supercharger into it.

Recently seen a few modded IS300's and been looking into them and I have to say they seem to be a very nice car.

Curious though how reliable the cars run with turbo's put on them? From what research I've done they seem to handle the boost fairly well but how hard would it be to push the car to about 400rwhp or basically what kits that are reliable would push the car into the 12's for the 1/4 mile?

Before I buy either a Z or IS300 plan on doing a lot of research and test driving but I'd like to be able to get some decent power out of it such as a mid to high 12 1/4 mile car.

· Registered
165 Posts
IS VS WRX

Here was my review from Impreza.net a while back. I had both.

My 2002 Silver WRX Sedan was totalled last month due to a deer in the road causing me to stop short and I was rear ended. While the WRX was an awesome car, the Subaru dealers I encountered left a bad taste in my mouth. I had ridiculous throwout bearing whine and clutch shudder and Subaru refused to fix both problems while maintaining a generally negative attitude. So I picked up my check from the insurance company and started test driving cars. I looked at 04 Maxima, Various SUVs, the STI as well as a few others. I ended up going with a left over, new 2002 5-speed Lexus IS300. I have about 1000 miles so far and here are my first impressions.

IS300 PROs: Better Looking (IMO), Nicer Wheel and Tire Combo, Better interior build quality, MUCH smoother Torque Band, Smoother Shifter with shorter throws (yes I had the STI short throw option), MUCH better sound system, Heated Seats, Remote Trunk Popper (actually very useful), Dealership exerience, Sunroof, HID Headlights with Yellow Fogs, Ice cold A/c.

WRX PROs: FUN, Quicker off the line, Huge aftermarket, Nice Boxer Exhaust Note, AWD Last Winter was awesome!, Huge Foglites, TURBO!, MOMO Steering Wheel and those Seats are sick, Great heat in the winter, also it is very safe and took the crash very well.

IS300 Cons: A Little slower off the line, I can't tear down Dirt Roads yelling (Hard left!, Easy right!), Chrome Shift Knob gets HOT!, RWD will probably suck in the snow, Most people I see driving these cars look like punk high school kids.

WRX (stock) Cons: Crappy Clutch/Throwout Bearing, Harder (for me) to drive smooth and fast at the same time (non-linear power band), Worst stereo ever (yes I had the upgraded garbage one), Crappy antenna, terrible tires, Worst Paint ever very "chippy", Slower feeling on the Highway (Stock), Cheap plastics on interior, oh yeah the windows that shreik when you open them unless you put silicone on them every month, and horrible A/C (never really got cold)

Both cars are very nice, but I don't regret my decision at all (we'll see this winter). Just thought I would give my honest first impression for anyone considering one of these two cars.

· Registered
257 Posts
Great review BennyLex!! It's always good to read reviews with extended time behind the wheel of both cars.

I tested the WRX before buy ing my IS. Really felt that the IS was a better buy.

Thanks again for an informative write-up.

· Registered
2,066 Posts
The IS is slower off the line, like everyone agrees... but I've hit it with a WRX that seemed stock, from about 80-120 and we were dead even. I think the I6 pulls harder at higher speeds, regardless of the fact that the WRX is turbo. Seems to just be faster off the line because you can rev it and dump it and take off like a rocket.

Wait until they do an AWD IS300... put a turbo on that :crazy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.