Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend this morning and told him that I just had my ECU re-flashed by Lexus service dept. which led to a discussion about WRXs ECU programming. My friend currently has an STI (recently sold his WRX wagon) and we both race SCCA Solo II. He told me that there is a "trick" to setting the WRX ECU to advance the timing after resetting its ECU, he couldn't recall the details...but it went something like - driving in a certain gear and achieving a certain RPM range for a specific duration of time will "set" the ECU to advance its timing (which provides better response).

I asked my friend to send me the link/info for this "ECU trick" so that I can post it on IS300.NET.

I was wondering if we can do the same thing with our ECU after resetting. All I've ever read (in this and other forums) was to drive like a "madman" to get the ECU to learn our driving habbits...but nothing as detailed and concrete as the WRX "trick". Maybe some of you ECU gurus can come up with the right "procedure" to advance our timing post ECU resetting.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
ok.
why would you do that?

unless you have a FI
but then I would assume you would get it tunned and have a piggy back or a stand alone - which would take care of that for you anyway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't purchased an F/I product for my car...yet, but will do so in the near future. But for now, any little performance mod (like the ECU trick) would make my ride much more enjoyable...my opinion only.

Anywayz...I found a WRX thread that looks like the "trick":

WRX guy said:
"start slowly and get up to 3rd gear. when you get into 3rd hold the rpm's at around 2500 rpm for 15-30 seconds. this will bump up your timing to full advance. then happy driving..."

Is our ECU capable of this or a similar procedure?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
thaiboxer said:
I haven't purchased an F/I product for my car...yet, but will do so in the near future. But for now, any little performance mod (like the ECU trick) would make my ride much more enjoyable...my opinion only.

WRX guy said:
"start slowly and get up to 3rd gear. when you get into 3rd hold the rpm's at around 2500 rpm for 15-30 seconds. this will bump up your timing to full advance. then happy driving..."

Is this possible on a vvti car. Variable valve timing?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brian_k03 said:
like before best thing is to pull ur battery and let it reset then drive hard.
slight difference, less boggy
Thanks Brian, but can you explain your answer...for us techie types :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Wxman said:
thaiboxer said:

WRX guy said:

If it event works it should be the Ignition timing that is advanced. Advance timing is bad for FI car anyways. N/A car helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YellowIS5spd said:
Wxman said:
thaiboxer said:

WRX guy said:

If it event works it should be the Ignition timing that is advanced. Advance timing is bad for FI car anyways. N/A car helps.
Yup...the majority of us on this board are N/A :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
thaiboxer said:
YellowIS5spd said:
Wxman said:
thaiboxer said:

WRX guy said:

Yup...the majority of us on this board are N/A :)
I'm sorry to hear that :D

anyways, I was always certain that by driving like a madman after your ecu is reset that would do the trick

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YellowIS5spd said:
Smart addicts.......... I was responding to Wxman.. That is why there is quotes...
Hey dude, I meant no harm in my reply....I just replied (notice the :) )

Anyhow, if advanced timing is only good for N/A cars, wouldn't all the FI IS300s timing be advanced due to them driving like madmen/women also. If anything, I would expect the FI community to be more "lead footed" to totally appreciate their modz. In doing so, the ECU learns and adapts to their driving habbits....right?

·
Registered
293 Posts
It was my understanding that the "Learning" feature in our ECU took somewhere around 300-500 miles to finally learn (Figure somewhere between 1-2 full tanks of gas or there about) Hence the reset and drive like hell training that has been suggested in previous posts.

If that's the case then the logic follows that a brief 3rd gear hold of rpm's at 2500 in 3rd gear would have no effect on a stock ecu.

I've tested the theory on resetting the ecu and driving it conservatively and resetting the ECU and driving it hard. Driving it hard does make a difference. To the doubters just try it out yourself. I have no dyno numbers to prove it but you can feel it.

By the way,the fastest way to reset the ECU is to take off a pole off the battery and hit your Brake light for about 10-15 seconds.

Oh and in regard to Forced Induction IS's - my best guess is that depends on engine management either piggy back or stand alone. The stand alone systems I think are tuned as is with respect to air/fuel ratio, elevation (sea level - mountain) etc. and that learning feature is no longer present. On those running Piggy backs (ex. emanage and such) the Stock ecu remains and I think those systems would still have that "Learning" feature.

and hey if I'm wrong someone correct me...

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
If you have ran AutoX then you probably noticed that your car is quicker after a day of racing than it was at the beginning. The easiest way to achieve that increased timing and power is to reset the ecu and then drive it hard for about 25 miles or so. You can also cruise on the highway above 3500rpm for about 25 or so miles after resetting and this will do it. It works without reseting, but not as dramatic.

I messed with it when I was autocrossing before I went F/I. The problem is it will revert after 20-30miles of casual driving. The ecu adapts quicker than people think. trust me. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts