Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One other thing I was thinking about was wrapping the headers and maybe exhaust to keep the heat it and let the exhaust flow a little faster. It would be a cheap way of gaining hp. Anyone know whether this would be a good idea on a stock IS300? Can anything bad happen to the stock headers or exhaust if wrapped? Any opinions would be helpful!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
i doubt that a stock header (singular NOT plural) wrapped will do anything because if anything it will reduce the heat only not improving flow

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I would figure it would improve flow a bit since the hotter the air is inside the tubing the less dense the gasses, therefore the faster and easier the gasses will flow. Along with that it will keep the engine compartment cooler. The way figure it 2 horses from the much cooler engine compartment and one or two horses from the less dense freely flowing gasses would add up to 4hp for less than 50 bucks? Not bad

·
Registered
555 Posts
My experience was the heat wrap over heated the steel in my header pipe causing it to rust and crack. I ran it one year on my race rabbit. I would normally see exhaust temps in the 1300-1400 degree range under racing conditions. In one season (about 20 hours of track time) the header has ruined.

When I switched to a ceramic coating on the same brand of header, the header was still good after 2 seasons of racing when I sold the car.

To really get any significant gains out of coatings you have to coat everything inside and out which can be pretty expensive.

You can coat the inside of your intake runners for example with a barrier coating that helps insulates the intake charge from the heat of the intake. I even had my brake calipers coated at one point with a heat dispersion coating that was supposed to disapate heat faster.

·
Registered
219 Posts
has anyone actually wrapped our header to test it with our setup because I have heard mixed comments about heat wraps there good for the car and bad for the header so what to do?

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
you are correct sexy...., it will increase flow through velocity, as the gases are not contracting as much, inside of the tubing that is wrapped, it is minimal, but you are correct
it will also cause the piping to rust, so it is not a good permanent solution, it will probably knock off 2 years to the life of the header

-gte

AustinAltezza said:
i doubt that a stock header (singular NOT plural) wrapped will do anything because if anything it will reduce the heat only not improving flow

G

·
0 Posts
do you know if heat wrap would make an aftermarket chrome header more quiet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.