Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Stages World Premiere of 'Matrix' at Detroit's North American International Auto Show

TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 19 Toyota will stage the world premiere of its all-new "Matrix" at a press conference at the 2001 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Matrix combines the functionality of an SUV, the style, image and performance of a sports car and the affordability of a subcompact sedan.
According to Don Esmond, Toyota Division senior vice president and general
manager, Matrix is the result of listening carefully to what is most-important to young new-car buyers.

"Young buyers want vehicles that are high in image, and, high in functional utility," Esmond said. "The problem is that utility and image have always come at a price out-of-range for most young buyers. Matrix will be active, accommodating, adaptable and, most important, affordable." The Toyota press conference will be held at the Toyota/Lexus display on the floor of Cobo Hall at 11:30 a.m., Monday, Jan. 8.
-----------------------

To give an idea of size, the vehicle will be built on the Corolla platform. It will also be marketed as a Pontiac "Vibe", similar to the marketing strategy for the Corolla/GM Prism.

Features:
- sports coupe mixed with versatility and all-wheel drive capability
- 3.0-litre, 245 horsepower machine
- electronic sequential manual transmission that comes with an automatic mode that shifts through five speeds via joystick
- adjustable suspension that has two settings, low and high
- four Motorola TalkAbout radios with integrated GPS receivers that can be removed quickly to keep driver and passengers in touch with each other and the car when they hit the trail
- integrated first aid kit and a toolbox
- centre console comes with a detachable GPS-navigation, cell-phone, two-way radio unit
- a built-in roof rack that holds items such as mountain bikes, and also conceals the retractable sunroof.

I've got a jpeg photo ... is it possible to upload here?

[This message has been edited by Italian Stallion (edited December 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the info from a Toyota employee that I share info with on a RAV4 web site (one of my car's is a RAV). Would be glad to upload the pict, if someone tells me how ...

Originally posted by brokenhearted:
hey where did you get that info from..... and please post the pix.... if u can

thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More info from the guy at Toyota ...

"It will be built in Fremont California at the NUMMI Plant. Same platform as the Corolla. The NUMMI Plant is Toyota's joint venture with GM. GM currently exports Prizms (Corollas with Prizm badges?) from this plant. The GM version of the "Matrix" will be badged as a Pontiac "Vibe".

[This message has been edited by Italian Stallion (edited December 21, 2000).][/B][/QUOTE]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Instructions for how to post pictures are in the UBB Code is ON link on every posting/reply page...

We don't have provisions for user uploading, but if you can't find a place to host it (like Photopoint), then just email it to me.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
its gonna be a hatchback? ughhhh! oh well, what type of motor is in it, an inline 3.0L or an 3.0L v6? any more info in the awd system and what not? tia

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
"http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect it's a "bad" picture on purpose ... they don't want to give away the farm before it premiers at the Jan auto show.

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
reminds me of the RX300...bad picture though, can't really see anything.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
More features that I'm hearing:

- the engine revs up with a push of the red start button, after the driver has identified himself via a coded mini chip-card

- rear doors slide open, out and backwards, parallel to the rear quarters and can be operated independently of the standard front doors

- the lower gate swings down behind the rear bumper in a parallel action for easier loading and unloading

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I emailed the webmaster a murky picture of the dash and a better picture of a headlight ...

·
Registered
78 Posts
does that remind anybody else of the azz ugly Pontiac Aztek? I mean if its going to be realeased in junction with Pontiac, im not sure its going to be all that great lookin.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
I still haven't been able to find out if it has a transverse v6 or inline 6? anyone able to find it, or already know?

------------------
"the gene pool could
use some chlorine!"
"http://www.shitonhonda.com"-Funny Site!

·
Registered
398 Posts
If its going to be made by NUMMI, then its going to be based on the Corolla or the Tacoma. I don't recall Toyota or GM investing tonns of money in that factory for a new production line, I doubt its going to be a brand new model.

From the picture it looks like a SUV-ish hatchback, based on the Corolla. If so, it will never be able to house a V6 or a inline 6 in that little engine bay.

My guess is that its a Corolla based new bodytype car. Subaru made the Forester (Outback) from the Imprezza, now its another car based on the Corolla.

If its based on the Tacoma (from the picture, its hard to tell whether its got a truck frame) then it will be a different car altogether.

The new generation Corolla Levin is supposed to be coming out in Japan with a 5DR hatchback body, maybe this could be the American interpretation of it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts