Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because we talk about Bimmers and Acuras, I though I'd mention this too.

Hey guys, picked up new issue of MT, and they had an article on the new Volvo S60 Blue Bolt.....although I never did pay much attention to Volvos, this one had me impressed.

300 HP turbocharged V6 with 295 lb/ft of torque. 19'' Stock BBS rims, and adjustable suspension setup. That's pretty impressive, especially in that bolt blue they had the car in.

Anybody have more info on this car, such as price?

One bad thing though is I'd be hard pressed to find aftermarket support for this Volvo.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I think this car was covered in a previous thread, but that's a show car, not production, but Volvo will bring a similar 300hp AWD S60 out next year, probably not in the US though, but maybe.

Originally posted by vvtipwr:
Because we talk about Bimmers and Acuras, I though I'd mention this too.

Hey guys, picked up new issue of MT, and they had an article on the new Volvo S60 Blue Bolt.....although I never did pay much attention to Volvos, this one had me impressed.

300 HP turbocharged V6 with 295 lb/ft of torque. 19'' Stock BBS rims, and adjustable suspension setup. That's pretty impressive, especially in that bolt blue they had the car in.

Anybody have more info on this car, such as price?

One bad thing though is I'd be hard pressed to find aftermarket support for this Volvo.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I've heard that RWD Volvos (like the 240?) can be fitted with the 5.0L Ford V8. But then again, that's what I *heard*.

·
Registered
205 Posts
S60's are at the dealerships. Saw them the other day. It falls in the WRX category, nice engine, butt ugly.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I think the shifter looks neat:

PRICING (Base Model)

Volvo S60 2.4 168 hp, 5-Speed Manual Transmission $26,500

Volvo S60 2.4T 197 hp, Automatic Transmission $29,800

Volvo S60 T-5 247 hp, 5-Speed Manual Transmission $31,800

With options (leather, sunroof, metallic paint, stability control, touring package), I configured the S60 T5 to around $37k USD.
Four disc changer is another 1200$, and navigation system is 2500$.

More specs: http://www.revolvolution.com/specs.html

[This message has been edited by JW (edited December 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still overpriced than the is300? I'm assuming you're trying to say the volvo t5 is more expensive, and yes it may be $1-2k more at very most, but have you actually taken a look at this car. I am actually a fan of the is (obviously I've been here for 6 months), but the t5 is a very strong car. I really like the look, 247 hp, 17" wheels, and the interior is absolutely no comparison to the IS. The IS's interior is comparable to a corrolla or altima (not even the maxima) while the volvo has a sporty, classy interior with top quality materials comparable to Audi and BMW. The IS interior is cool looking, but it just feels cheap. It full of cheap plastic, it really sucks compared to the other Lexus models. Sorry to get off on a rant here, but I was completely sold on the IS, but the more I compare I can't help but think Lexus is screwing us on the IS materials and pricing (ie. sticker v. invoice compared to other models and companies).

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I agree, it's the IS300 that's overpriced compared to the Volvo. The S60 has one of the nicest interiors in any car, though I haven't sat in it so maybe the seats aren't great. It's also roomier and faster. But reviews say while it handles better than any Volvo to date, it's still not fun like the 3 series, IS300 or even A4. It also looks a little bland compared to those other cars. But if comfort and high speed cruising are your thing, rather than handling and sportiness, it's a better buy. CL-S buyers would like the S60 I think. CL-S or IS300 would be more reliable though.

Originally posted by ricker:
Still overpriced than the is300? I'm assuming you're trying to say the volvo t5 is more expensive, and yes it may be $1-2k more at very most, but have you actually taken a look at this car. I am actually a fan of the is (obviously I've been here for 6 months), but the t5 is a very strong car. I really like the look, 247 hp, 17" wheels, and the interior is absolutely no comparison to the IS. The IS's interior is comparable to a corrolla or altima (not even the maxima) while the volvo has a sporty, classy interior with top quality materials comparable to Audi and BMW. The IS interior is cool looking, but it just feels cheap. It full of cheap plastic, it really sucks compared to the other Lexus models. Sorry to get off on a rant here, but I was completely sold on the IS, but the more I compare I can't help but think Lexus is screwing us on the IS materials and pricing (ie. sticker v. invoice compared to other models and companies).

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Actually.. I was the one to originally post the S60 topic about the S60 AWD... Supposedly in a year there will be a 300HP adjustable suspension S60 w/ AWD.... Probably do 0-60's in the mid 5's and handle just as well...The thing is we might not get the car in the US, although they will have it in Europe, it was shown last year as a prototype but Volvo was sure that it was coming out. Lookswise the car is very nice, it's basically a lowered S60 with a bodykit. There were some pics on www.volvospy.com several months earlier but the link is broken now.. Pricing will probably be in the high 30K's plus tax... In terms of the interior, it LOOKS nice, but if you've ever been in the new S60, once you start touching stuff and closely examining the interior, the build quality is NOWHERE near the IS300.. Although the IS uses lots of plastics and it might LOOK cheap, it actually has very high build quality, I can't say the same for the Volvo..

-Chris Y.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I think the S60 is one of those cars that people think is pretty nice, but don't actually buy--like the CL-S, the Infinitis, the Saab 9-3, those are nice, fast, comfortable cars, but just not very exciting, and there are better alternatives to each, like the 3 series, IS300, A4, Jaguar X-Type etc.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
To avoid confusion...the S60 on sale is FWD, not AWD (yet). Turbo engine + FWD = torque steer, like the Saab Viggen.

That would be an interesting match-up: S60 T5 vs. Saab 9-3 Viggen. Battle of the Swedes!

[This message has been edited by JW (edited December 10, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
THe CAR Magazine I bought reviewed the S60 vs 330, A4 I think, and said the torque steer was minimal on the S60, except in wet. They said it wasn't that much fun to drive though. Very light, uncommunicative steering, but otherwise not bad.

Originally posted by JW:
To avoid confusion...the S60 on sale is FWD, not AWD (yet). Turbo engine + FWD = torque steer, like the Saab Viggen.

That would be an interesting match-up: S60 T5 vs. Saab 9-3 Viggen. Battle of the Swedes!

[This message has been edited by JW (edited December 10, 2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts