Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

don't use Armor All

Just stick with something simple like a damp cloth.

[ April 22, 2001: Message edited by: JW ]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Armor All should be in one place only. Stay on the store shelf display.

Originally posted by digitalfreq:
I wanted to get something to clean my interior. Has anyone used this product. How do you like it?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
The wipes are particularly wet too, if you like to use Armor-All (as I do), use a rag and spray the bottle on the rag. I've used Armor-All for years now with no ill-effects on anything.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by digitalfreq:
I wanted to get something to clean my interior. Has anyone used this product. How do you like it?
I use em and I'm not convinced that they're any better than a simple damp cloth... They leave little fibers all over my interior and I need to re-wipe with a dry cloth afterwards... expensive hype IMHO

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Another dumb question and dumb answers...except WebguyIS and soybomb. Armor All makes your dash crack?!? That's a new one. I've been using it for awhile w/o any problems.

·
8,880 Posts
After Armor-All wheel cleaner disolved paint on my calipers, I'm gonna try to stay away from this brand

My 2 cents

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't had any problems either using Armor-All for over 10 years now. I only use the low-gloss stuff a few times a year though so maybe that helps. One thing, the new glass wipes absolutley suck. They smear the dirt and leave a tone of lint on the windows. I can't belive a company thats been around for so long would realese such a sh*tty product.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
Another dumb question and dumb answers...except WebguyIS and soybomb. Armor All makes your dash crack?!? That's a new one. I've been using it for awhile w/o any problems.
it happened to my friend's accord. too much sun exposure onto the chemical on the dash i guess? just because you've never seen it happen doesnt me it havent.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Too much sun exposure will crack any dash, regardless of what's on it (since that chemical will fade off in a matter of weeks).

You should NEVER use wheel cleaners, they simply eat at your wheel's clear coat. Use the same stuff you wash you car with, as your wheels are coated with the same protection. Brake dust should come off very easily. For enhanced protection you can polish and wax your wheels in the same manner as your car.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
My dad has used Armor All for 10 yrs on his old 81 corolla (until he sold it) and it never cracked or do anything to the dash.

I've never seen it crack someone's dash...
Are you sure you guys have been using it right?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
See, the thing with Armor All is that you have to regularly use it because the stuff tends to dry out your rubber/plastic/vinyl (or so I've heard). In essence, it's like crack cocaine or some other addictive drug with bad withdrawal effects. When you use it on tires, the tires eventually turn brown, and you have to re-apply it.

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: JW ]

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
I don't think that's true at all. I made one application of armor-all before winter and 6 months later (albeit very dusty), my dash wiped clean with a DRY rag, looked great, and then I finished it up with armor-all again. No problems. I've gone a year in between applications without any ill effects at all (on my 10-year old Accord's black dash none-the-less).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I wonder if this is another urban legend (that Armour-all will crack plastic/vinyl). I have heard people said it will weaken the chemical compounds of the plastic/vinly. Can't decide to believe it or not.

Want to hear something really funny?

I used to own a beat up Jetta while I was in university. One day I decided to do a clean up on the car (yes, it was a POS, but it was still my first car). So I washed and waxed the car real good. I used Armour-all all over the car. I even applied it on the brake, accelerator and clutch pedals (I wasn't thinking, I only wanted to make the car nice and shinny everywhere). Boy, was that ever a mistake. My feet kept slipping off the pedals, I was having a hard time driving. What a moron I was.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by JW:
See, the thing with Armor All is that you have to regularly use it because the stuff tends to dry out your rubber/plastic/vinyl (or so I've heard). In essence, it's like crack cocaine or some other addictive drug with bad withdrawal effects. When you use it on tires, the tires eventually turn brown, and you have to re-apply it.

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: JW ]
NO NO NO!

Armor all is nothing like crack at all!
RAIN-X is much closer to crack, hands down. Once you apply it, there's no living without it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts