Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Altezza Type-R with 250hp was available today, would you buy it? The IS300 with its 7.5 seconds is slow compared the new Impreza (5.9 to 60). Lexus should come out with a performance version to compete with the S4 and M3.

[This message has been edited by kota (edited October 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that Lexus should build an Is 300 to compete with the S4 and M3. If they did make one and the price was right, I would consider getting one over the regular IS.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lexus just may answer our prayers:

"And Auto Express has learned that Lexus's answer to BMW's M division and Mercedes' AMG arm – the as yet unnamed sports division – is only a matter of months away. The move follows Toyota's creation of the T Sport brand, as we revealed last week (Issue 622). Chief engineer at Lexus, Yasushi Nakagawa, admitted: "We're carefully examining both the BMW M5 and Z8 as we see the former as the benchmark in the sports saloon market, and the Z8's aluminium construction is of interest to everyone." He added that the manufacturer is developing a range of premium diesel engines to maintain its strength in the European market."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/

[This message has been edited by kota (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yep, if they made one I'd buy it. Perhaps the 250hp would be sufficient to counter all the criticisms and current competition. Although they should consider upping the power beyond 320hp, since the new M3 and C32 will both be over that (330hp and 353hp, respectively). Either way, I'd be willing to pay another 3-4 thousand for an IS that performs even better.
They might also want to distiguish it by complementing it with more options. But then the additional equipment would only add weight...what a dilemma.
I'm still happy with the one I have. Paid $36K out the door with almost every option.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
No, I wouldn't - only because I had set a limit of 35k. However, I expect to be able to afford a more expensive car in about 5 years and at that time I will certainly compare whatever Lexus has to offer in the M3/S4 performance range.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to admit, I like the sheet metal and wheels of the IS. A lot. If they gave it a *normal* interior on par with the GS400, replaced the played out tails and could get it into the under six second 0-60 category, I'd take a hard look at purchasing one.

There, are you happy? CL-S owner admits he'd actually buy one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'll take one, if it can 0-60 in 6sec or less and as long as it 40K and below. So i can go head2head w/my bud M3

·
Registered
650 Posts
It depends. If the aftermarket offers parts for the stock IS. And adding those parts costed less than buying the R edition IS. Than i wouldn't pay more. And also vice versa..

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
If a 250hp or 320hp (twin turbo?) IS300 were available now I would have paid the extra money to get one.

My plan is to turn to the aftermarket for performance mods - my goal is to get around 280hp with a 5psi supercharger. Hopefully someone will make one like that which is CARB certified (California legal).

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I don't think the IS300 should cost $40k no matter what the factory does to it, but if they lighten up the front end to get 50/50 weight balance, maybe by using an aluminum block, and boosted hp to 245-250 (from the estimated 185 currently), then I'd buy it. But not for $40k, maybe $35k.
The 185 hp is just my pull-outta-my-ass estimate, based on weight vs 0-60, 1/4 mi. times.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh man I would have paid the extra. My buddies drive an m3 and an s4, so that way i could join the races! What is horrible is that my dad wont let me void the warranty. Actually i dont know anything about warranties, what is allowed?

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
What makes you think you can't race an M3 or S4? At best they'll be a few car lengths ahead. Lexus tuner parts shouldn't void the warranty, and anyway remember, you're protected by law, the manufacturer must PROVE that your mod cause the damage, that's difficult to do.

Originally posted by zachase:
Oh man I would have paid the extra. My buddies drive an m3 and an s4, so that way i could join the races! What is horrible is that my dad wont let me void the warranty. Actually i dont know anything about warranties, what is allowed?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
at best a few carlengths? lets say the e46 328 is of similiar power to the is300..a 328 raced the e36 m3 and the m3 was putting a carlength on once every two seconds(the 328 was auto) and this was from a ROLL. from a standing start, the m3 has an even greater advantage.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Clam, you know what I mean, the difference between 5.5 sec and 7.5 sec 0-60 is only a car length or two. So you can certainly keep up with the M3 or S4. On a track, no, but on the street sure. I don't think that's possible, 2 cars lengths every 2 seconds. I was chasing a friend's supercharged NSX in my poor GSR, and it wasn't that bad.

Originally posted by mrclam:
at best a few carlengths? lets say the e46 328 is of similiar power to the is300..a 328 raced the e36 m3 and the m3 was putting a carlength on once every two seconds(the 328 was auto) and this was from a ROLL. from a standing start, the m3 has an even greater advantage.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ckolson, are you saying that Lexus lied about their hp?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by droideka:
I have to admit, I like the sheet metal and wheels of the IS. A lot. If they gave it a *normal* interior on par with the GS400, replaced the played out tails and could get it into the under six second 0-60 category, I'd take a hard look at purchasing one.

There, are you happy? CL-S owner admits he'd actually buy one.
Exactly. Ditto that for me.

Then again, if a 300-hp rear-drive type s comes down the pike...mmmm...sold.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would buy the CL-S if they made it smaller and was RWD.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts