Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Driftmotion Stage 3 [Kevlar Disk 450 WHP rating]

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: Help me decide on a Kevlar disk rated at 450 whp or organic disk rated at 400 whp.

I have a 2001 IS 300, boosted at 8 lbs making somewhere around 250-350 WHP I haven't run it through the Dyno yet. I am currently running a AR5 Transmission and cheeped out and went the less expensive / easier route. I choose an XTD W58 Flywheel with a stage 3 pressure plate, obviously the clutch disk didn't fit (spline count) and ended up picking up an OEM Chevy S10 clutch disk that mated to the AR5 W58 setup i believed this clutch is rated at 210 ft. lb. of torque and I am now having an awful time driving an abomination of a clutch setup and so decided to fix my mistake and go R154 route. Finding a clutch disk that has 26 spines 240mm is not easy I have spend hours browsing the internet and the only place that i can find one that first the AR5 R154 swap is from driftmotion. I have found two solid choices from driftmotion in the stage 2 / stage 3 that will mate to AR5. So a guys got to ask if you were in my position which setup would you choose? Seriously any input is appreciated, I know ultimately the choice is mine to make but if you have any experience driving something similar your input would be appreciated.

PS #1: Switching up the the OEM R154 flywheel I didn't like the lightweight flywheel i also think it might help me launch better (higher inertial mass)
PS #2: If I had done things the right way I could have already been well on my way to fixing the paint on my baby... but noooo now i got to drop another 1200 to fix the mistake going the W58 route.

Including a pic of two big boys in a clapped boosted IS.
(If anything comes from this post PLEASE for the love of god spend the extra dough and go R154 route when tranny swapping your IS)

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2002 is300
73 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Also, have you called the usual clutch suspects (spec, clutchmasters, McLeod, monster, etc) to see if they'll make you a custom disc?

Marrying a 26 spline hub to a 9.5" disc ought not be rocket science for them.

As mentioned above, stick to a sprung hub.

Last, I like driftmotion - they've always done me right EXCEPT their idea of good clutch drivability and mine are different. I bought a ceramic puck clutch from them that was just God awful to drive...and I'm far from a noob.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, have you called the usual clutch suspects (spec, clutchmasters, McLeod, monster, etc) to see if they'll make you a custom disc?

Marrying a 26 spline hub to a 9.5" disc ought not be rocket science for them.

As mentioned above, stick to a sprung hub.

Last, I like driftmotion - they've always done me right EXCEPT their idea of good clutch drivability and mine are different. I bought a ceramic puck clutch from them that was just God awful to drive...and I'm far from a noob.

I messaged ACT and Spec on their website to ask if they had a disk in this size or if they can make one and no response its been over a month...

Also about the no puck 2 puck 3 puck 4 don't matter what i have in the AR5 right now sounds like a bag of marbles going down a toilet bowl haha ill take anything over what I got tbh.. frickin shite lightweight flywheels and crap GM cylinders that only engage when they feel like it. I cant wait to fix my mistake and drive a real boosted manual 2j.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Try to contact Bully clutch too, I've heard their clutches are very good quality. Plus, they do custom work IIRC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see anything on that website that resembles a clutch for 2jz/ar5?

Also I am finding some close to spec but they are 241.3 mm which is slightly out of tolerance for clutch size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if stage 3 Kevlar disk is the following... Would this be what you consider full faced disk that wont be a chatter box?

Vehicle brake Font Disc brake Auto part Machine

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, that's a full faced disk. It's pretty easy to distinguish between a full faced disc and a 4/6 puck - put them side by side in a browser and you'll see.

If you're interested in Bully Clutch, you need to email or call them, their website is shite. I believe they're old school.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that's a full faced disk. It's pretty easy to distinguish between a full faced disc and a 4/6 puck - put them side by side in a browser and you'll see.

If you're interested in Bully Clutch, you need to email or call them, their website is shite. I believe they're old school.
I assumed as much, the only thing I didn't know was that this is a segmented type and didn't know if this was the same as a full faced. This is my first manual car and the first time I've worked on a car or put together a build.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Also I am finding some close to spec but they are 241.3 mm which is slightly out of tolerance for clutch size.
Only you can judge your application of course...

But I can't recall ever seeing a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate arrangement that couldn't handle a clutch disc that was 1.3mm (0.050) over nominal size.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,094 Posts
That clutch disc is similar to the spec stage 2 I put in my 540i back in the day. Very smooth engagement and drove very nice. Please note that the bmw clutches on these cars weren’t sprung by design so that’s a difference. But the face of the disc is full face.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle brake Blue

·
Registered
809 Posts
That clutch disc is similar to the spec stage 2 I put in my 540i back in the day. Very smooth engagement and drove very nice. Please note that the bmw clutches on these cars weren’t sprung by design so that’s a difference. But the face of the disc is full face.
I'm surprised to hear that. Normally a un-sprung clutch with an un-dampened flywheel would be horrible to drive in traffic. Maybe it was the torque of the V8??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Promising... then ill call DM and find out. I just cant wait till everything comes in! My car goes 1-2k rpm no or low boost enters boost around 3k and by 4-5k rpm it just slips and makes no power. I need a new clutch setup in my life right now.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,094 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that. Normally a un-sprung clutch with an un-dampened flywheel would be horrible to drive in traffic. Maybe it was the torque of the V8??
Well the BMW’s are usually a dual mass flywheel stock so the disc is unsprung. I went with a JB racing LWFW and the spec clutch which was made for the LWFW conversion. Worked great

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kevin from clutch masters is offering to make me a FX400 full faced clutch with PP and throw-out bearing and pilot bearing for 790, can anyone speak for CM quality?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
don't see anything on that website that resembles a clutch for 2jz/ar5?
Not many clutch companies offer an AR5/JZ option. I guess there isn’t a big enough need?They will all just about make you what you want though. The main difference is the 1.125”x26 spline input shaft. I had ACT make me a full face clutch disc when I GTE/AR5 swapped mine several years back. Wasn’t any more expensive and didn’t take long at all - covid may have changed that, though.

I think I am going to look at twin disc set ups now. I’m having an engine problem and plan to pull the whole thing out and just work on it as time and money allows. May as well get a better clutch while it’s all out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts