Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the latest Motor Trend and they compare the Boxster S, the Z06 Vette and the BMW M3. The magazine makes this quote about the BMW Engineers, "That BMW's engineers could coax 333 hp out of a normally aspirated 3.2L engine should make them eligible for some sort of Nobel Prize."
Thats pretty impressive and the car delivers 4.65 sec 0-60's and a 13.18 sec/106.92 mph 1/4 mile. I'd settle for half the hp difference between my IS's 215 and the M3's 333. Come-on TRD you can do it, buy an M3 pull the engine, study it, copy it!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nah, the way Toyota works is that they just go out and hire those engineers for higher amount of money. That's what they are doing in F1 anyway.
This is actually the best way to do it. Cheap (no R&D cost) and quick (no R&D time).

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
"Come-on TRD you can do it, buy an M3 pull the engine,
study it, copy it!"
i assure you that if toyota wanted to, they could get 400hp out of that motor, n/a, and get better gas mileage than the m3, but there isn't a huge market for it i guess, so they aren't targeting it much, especially when the turbo version of the 2j makes sooo much more power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i'm sure they COULD do it, since the IS's engine is the same as a N/A Supra. i don't know about getting better mileage than an M3 though.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I can be 99% sure, that TRD cannot do it, at least not a 400HP 3L N/A motor for street. I don't even think TRD in Japan can. Just look at their effort in F1 now, their engine is underpower by quite a big margin. If you really want to see whose the best at building N/A motor, just look at F1. Right now BMW has the best motor, and many of the electronic they used on that motor is actually brought over from street cars.
But if you are talking about turbocharging, then it is pretty even between Honda and Toyota, with Honda having a bit of an edge. Trust me, if Honda is to bring out a turbocharged motor, it will be pretty close to the 2JZ-GTE.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if TRD can get 240hp out of a n/a 1.6, back in the early 80's ( 4age ) . then they would have no problem, and i mean no problem getting 400hp out of the 2jzge.

as for honda and toyota and turbocharging, honda may be able to do it at the track, but they probably won't ever be able to produce something street worthy. they don't have the backround or the resources. in the racing series, they are basically doing what everyone else does, they all have the same basic chasis, and engine management, etc etc. in real life, all of those variables change within the manufacturer, making things alot more difficult to do on an assembly line.

Originally posted by Daniel:
I can be 99% sure, that TRD cannot do it, at least not a 400HP 3L N/A motor for street. I don't even think TRD in Japan can. Just look at their effort in F1 now, their engine is underpower by quite a big margin. If you really want to see whose the best at building N/A motor, just look at F1. Right now BMW has the best motor, and many of the electronic they used on that motor is actually brought over from street cars.
But if you are talking about turbocharging, then it is pretty even between Honda and Toyota, with Honda having a bit of an edge. Trust me, if Honda is to bring out a turbocharged motor, it will be pretty close to the 2JZ-GTE.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
being the same as the n/a supra motor really doesn't have much to do with it at all.

Originally posted by iNteGraz92:
i'm sure they COULD do it, since the IS's engine is the same as a N/A Supra. i don't know about getting better mileage than an M3 though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually IS300GTE it does sice tubo supras can make up to 700hp or more so it kinda goes to show you that since it has a supra engine turbo it and it aint impossible.Or how about the Veilside Supra that makes 1053hp twin turbo horsies and thats a I-6 also.
so for toyota to make a 400hp N/A engine based on the 2JZ-GTE I dont think thats impossible.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think that motor you are talking about is still being used in Toyota Atlantic series, and it is strictly a racing motor. One thing I think everybody is getting confuse is that TRD is different than the TRD that makes street parts. There are two TRD (I bet most people don't know this). The TRD that makes street part does not do any racing, and vise versa.
I guess if you really want a 400HP N/A 3L motor, you can just ask TTE to detune their F1 engine a bit and that will give you a 400HP engine. Then again, so can BMW and MB.
And anyway, a 400HP 3L is probably not going to last that long on street. Look at how many problem the M3 engine had before it came out to public, I wonder how long that engine will last before some parts start to give.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
why do people babble when they don't know what they are talking about????

the fact that it is a non turbo supra motor has nothing to do with the potential power output of the motor, it could be out of a camry and it wouldn't matter either way.

i have forgotten more about supras then you will ever know night rider, as a matter of fact, i just finished installing a front mount on one for a friend today. to add to your list of supras, look at powerhouse's supra, 1200 to the wheels! 8's in the quarter, and it still retains the power windows, seats, radio and all.

back to my other point, the fact that the motor is shared with the n/a supra has nothing to do with how much power can be extracted from it, nor does it matter that the turbos make a lot of power. Neither of those factors add horsepower or hp potential to the motor, that is already there, it just needs to be exploited.

oh, and if you read the rest of the beginning of the post, you would see that i was the one
who suggested this in the first place, and your last sentance is just another example of you babbling.

Originally posted by nightrider:
Actually IS300GTE it does sice tubo supras can make up to 700hp or more so it kinda goes to show you that since it has a supra engine turbo it and it aint impossible.Or how about the Veilside Supra that makes 1053hp twin turbo horsies and thats a I-6 also. so for toyota to make a 400hp N/A engine based on the 2JZ-GTE I dont think thats impossible.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the motor used almost 100% toyota parts, and was available in some street vehicles per class rules. the only thing that made it borderline not streetable was the individual throttle bodies, but i'm sure with the advancements in technology since then, it could be made to drive smoothly and have a long life span.

i'm not suprised about BMW and the problems it had with the motor before it was released, they have never been known for their reliability.

I think that motor you are talking about is still being used in Toyota Atlantic series, and it is strictly a racing motor. One thing I think everybody is getting confuse is that TRD is different than the TRD that makes street parts. There are two TRD (I bet most people don't know this). The TRD that makes street part does not do any racing, and vise versa.
I guess if you really want a 400HP N/A 3L motor, you can just ask TTE to detune their F1 engine a bit and that will give you a 400HP engine. Then again, so can BMW and MB.
And anyway, a 400HP 3L is probably not going to last that long on street. Look at how many problem the M3 engine had before it came out to public, I wonder how long that engine will last before some parts start to give.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
so that motor was actually made for street cars? Impressive.
Sorry, I am too young to know what happen with those older engines. One thing though, TRD (the racing division) went through a major management overhaul in 1995 when they decided to enter CART, according to a friend who used to work there, so I am not surprise if they cannot build motor as strong as they used to be.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
NA, or N/A, stands for "naturally aspirated," which means an engine doesn't have forced induction (turbo or supercharger).

Originally posted by lexluger:
Quick question : what does the n/a mean when talkin about a Supra??
Thanks!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i'm not that old either actually, i just did alot of research on this b/c i like to throw it in the honda boys faces when they start running their mouths about hp per liter

so that motor was actually made for street cars? Impressive.
Sorry, I am too young to know what happen with those older engines. One thing though, TRD (the racing division) went through a major management overhaul in 1995 when they decided to enter CART, according to a friend who used to work there, so I am not surprise if they cannot build motor as strong as they used to be.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
I agree with you GTE... having the NA supra motor means nothin... we can have a GE motor and we all knwno the potential, that does not mean they can tune it at 400 hp tho..NA

·
Registered
625 Posts
I dont get what you mean by saying "if you are talking about turbocharging, then it is pretty even between Toyota and Honda, with honda having the edge." How so???
Honda does not produce any turbocharged car. They never have and doubt they ever will. And being they never will make a turbocharged engine, will keep their engines from having anywhere close to the potential of Toyota engines. Do you know how big Toyota Co. is compared to Honda? Put it this way, it is like Toyota being a whole downtown city area and Honda owning but one or two of those buildings. The engineering, research, and resource of Toyota far exceeds Honda.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Why would you want Toyota, TRD, or TOMs to make a 3L 300hp car anyways? Their speciality is turbocharging when it comes to performance. They easily can pull these numbers off by turbocharging. I doubt they are worried about the M3. The 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE has already shown its potential at being better then the M3s engine and both engiens still being in production today.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
no doubt! i would like to see a 3L 300hp car just to shut the honda idiots up though.

Originally posted by SupraSport:
Why would you want Toyota, TRD, or TOMs to make a 3L 300hp car anyways? Their speciality is turbocharging when it comes to performance. They easily can pull these numbers off by turbocharging. I doubt they are worried about the M3. The 1JZ-GTE and 2JZ-GTE has already shown its potential at being better then the M3s engine and both engiens still being in production today.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
15 Participants
LexusIS886
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing