Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I painted my calipers red and got totally pwned. The look bad and I facked em up. I was wondering if i could drench the calips in this paint thinner Ive got to get the paint off so i could repaint them. I think its more like wood finish thinner..real strong shit..I basically just pour the stuff on and the paint just runs off stuff. Would this hurt the calips because i really want to take a weekend and do a good job.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I don't think it would hurt. If it won't harm metal, it won't hurt the calipers.

The spray on brake cleaner will also soften up the paint.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
uh, it might fuck up the rubber seals.

btw how much did you mess up the paintjob? you might be able to save it with some sand paper. plus if the paint is already dry, dont bother, its already cured so thinner wont work. only sand paper will help you here.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
don't worry about completely stripping the paint. just sand it until it's smooth...then paint over it. MUCH better results than painting on a rough stock caliper.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
lilaznboi said:
don't worry about completely stripping the paint. just sand it until it's smooth...then paint over it. MUCH better results than painting on a rough stock caliper.
Yes, on second thought, that's probably the best way to go. It's already "primed".

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well..ill try and take some pics of them. I did the back right caliper perfect. But then it went downhill from there. The right front looked fine and ready so i put the sticker on it..that went all good..but I guess it wasnt ready..so when I sprayed clear coat on it..red paint started to run down the sticker, I tried to dab it, but it just smeared on the sticker so I left it. The left front was fine, but the back left got screwed up too. It put the sticker on too early i guess and the paper from the sticker stuck..and the paint stuck to it..and the paper brought a bunch of paint with it..so it looks torn up. Not to mention the stickers are slightly curled up along the edges. I looked at it today and it looks like if I just peel the paint it will come off and one giant peice. If that works im gonna sand them and redo them..but id like to take the calipersall the way off..but idk about the brake line..is there fluid i nthere..i dont want it to spill everywhere.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
why do u wanna take the whole thing off?? just sand it while it's on the car...and spray paint it...you'll have to get new caliper stickers but oh well...

it's not worth taking off the car...yes there's brake fluid in the lines

·
Registered
960 Posts
Astr0LuX said:
I painted my calipers red and got totally pwned. The look bad and I facked em up. I was wondering if i could drench the calips in this paint thinner Ive got to get the paint off so i could repaint them. I think its more like wood finish thinner..real strong sh*t..I basically just pour the stuff on and the paint just runs off stuff. Would this hurt the calips because i really want to take a weekend and do a good job.
I wouldn't use paint thinner as it's a little bit oily and you don't want oil anywere around your rotors and pads. As someone else mentioned it may also attack the rubber seals. You would be better off using brake cleaner solvent. You didn't say what kind of paint you used but if it was spray paint the brake cleaner solvent should do it. If you used G2 or any kind of 2-part curing material, probably no solvent will work well and you will be relegated to sanding it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I had the same problem with my caliper stickers. Put a coat of clearcoat then put the stickers on. Then put another coat of clear. The red shouldn't run after that. Make sure it dries between coats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts