Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
right now i'm working on my audio set up looking for clear sound quality with a kickass bass..

bass wise, my selection is the
JL 10w7 10" sub running with a 500/1 JL slash series amp

as for my speaker components
Front Components: 6.5
Focal 165 KF which includes two crossover networks
check them out here

Rear components: 6.5
I don't want an overkill because the front components are more then enough sound power so i'm going to go with these coaxial to keep my 5.1 audio on my Avic-D3

Focal 165 CA1
check them out here

MY Main Concern, and reason for this post is the amp i want to run it on.. i am unsure if i should go with the JL Slash Series 300/4 or a more powerful amp..

So far my grand total is around 1500 for all of this including the 300/4 so i should have a pretty sweet set up once i get this all figured out..

what would be a suggestion for my amp..? do you think the JL 300/4 will do the job?

thanks

dave

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i think the 300/4 should be enough. the bench tested output of the 300/4 rated it 90 watts per channel @ 4ohms...and that's at 12.8 volts.

as an aside also look at what he states about the output of the amplifier into a reactive load. factory power ratings are done with resistive loads only (plain old high power resistors). however, speakers in themsleves are reactive loads (they have a capacitive and inductive component in their loads as well)..this is why speakers change impedance with freqency...the result of their capacitive/inductive load characteristics (capacitors and inductors are frequency dependent devices). with this in mind you WILL get higher than 90 watts out of it when it's connected to a speaker.

that should give you some solid power for your fronts and more than enough for your rears. that 10w7 powered by the 500/1 should be tight solid bass...it won't be SPL crazy so i don't think you will need anything more than 90 watts on each of your fronts to keep up with the sub.

i say try it out with the 300/4 and if you feel you need more power then bridge the 300/4 into two channel mode for your fronts and just run the rears off the HU amp.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I would do the DD S4 I have listed in the sales section. That amp is CLEAN, not big, and will feed the front set 200*2 watts RMS @ 4ohms and the rear will get 100*2 giving you some staging. Awesome amp at an awesome price and 1 of the few odd power distribution amps you can get in multi-channel rigs.

Reactions: djmatrix

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both..

·
Registered
32 Posts
You wont need a lot of power for Focal speakers. Go with a really clean amp, possibly even the one lisnup is selling.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I would do the DD S4 I have listed in the sales section. That amp is CLEAN, not big, and will feed the front set 200*2 watts RMS @ 4ohms and the rear will get 100*2 giving you some staging. Awesome amp at an awesome price and 1 of the few odd power distribution amps you can get in multi-channel rigs.

I can vouch for this amp. It's freaking incredible. I'm running my front stage with an S4. I can just crank and crank and crank.

Of course, it'll probably blow the crap out of those little pinner frenchy Focal toys. Get some Dynaudios if you're spending that kind of coin on your speakers. And forget the rears... just spend more on the front.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i ended up going with the JL 300/4 its actually sitting in my room right now.. :flee: came quick.. ill be sure to take pictures, and video once its all here and installed

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey, I was trying to upgrade my stereo too, i have an is300 and i was using the Alpine Mrp-450 4 channel amp, what would anybody suggest for all 4 inside speakers that would sound good on that amp???

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
His DVD headunit has surround sound so he needs them for DVD playback that has sound coming from the rears as well as the front.

Does he have a center channel???

Cause if not... there is zero point to using the surround sound features in his headunit. In fact, if he does, he will be missing out on a good portion of the audio track. And if his headunit just sends the center channel out to the two front channels... that's even worse.

With surround sound... you either do it 100% right, or you don't do it at all. And besides, surround sound in a car is a really bad idea anyway, you should see how difficult it is to mix to 5.1... trying to throw one of those mixes into a car environment and expecting not see more phase issues that you can imagine is pretty much impossible.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Does he have a center channel???

Cause if not... there is zero point to using the surround sound features in his headunit. In fact, if he does, he will be missing out on a good portion of the audio track. And if his headunit just sends the center channel out to the two front channels... that's even worse.

With surround sound... you either do it 100% right, or you don't do it at all. And besides, surround sound in a car is a really bad idea anyway, you should see how difficult it is to mix to 5.1... trying to throw one of those mixes into a car environment and expecting not see more phase issues that you can imagine is pretty much impossible.
Really....100% right or not at all? So I would imagine that 99% of HT systems shouldn't be manufactured? I would guess phase issue aren't going to bother him at all; I doubt he would even notice. If you have a DVD unit it's utility is not for you as the driver, it's more for the passengers anyway. The more time aligned the speakers are to the driver the worse off any passenger listening to it will be.

You know I don't favor rear fill....obviously, since I wouldn't allow it in my own car. But if you have a DVD unit without rears (for when you use the DVD feature), you are short changing yourself by not taking full advantage of the unit.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
Trust me, if surround sound in the car was worth a shit, it'd be much more prolific. But instead, a few companies have a few niche products that cater to the surround sound people... barely. Why??? Because surround sound in a car is an afterthought. Why is that??? Because Dolby has told all these manufacturers that it's impossible to pull off properly.

Just don't do it. You could get much better results by having an ultra-powerful front stage pumping out a good stereo track. It would make life better for driver and passenger.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i don't think that D3 even has a center channel output. so any surround sound you get is simulated....probably poorly at best.

i never quite understood surround sound in cars. the car is by far one of the worse environments for sound. small cramped quarters, reflections left and right....road noise all over the effin place. and who is going to sit in their car to enjoy a movie? my neck would be sore after 20 minutes of looking at the damn screen. especially in the IS300...the stock radio location is too low for a movie screen. maybe use it as a cheap attempt to get some girl to drive to a bluff with you to "watch a movie"? you're better off putting a 15" sub in the trunk and making the seat vibrate her into submission.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I've had the opportunity to sit in some of the "best" surround sound cars ever built over the past couple of years, and just about all of them sound like complete muddled crap. Even the center seat Alpine über-rigs that are built for CES and SEMA sound horrible when compared to even the most basic home surround sound system.

Manufacturers know this too. So they put ZERO R&D into surround sound products for cars. It's bad processing, bad emulation... etc. You don't want it.

Just run 2.1. Trust me. Use the money you save vs. a 5.1 system to buy better speakers and amps.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
do you think this could hurt the future of DVD-Audio for cars? i guess the only advantage of having DVD-A for 2.0/2.1 would be the higher sampling and bit rate. but even still the rest of the audio market (mostly amplifiers designers) would need to redesign their components to accomodate the higher bandwidth. not to mention most people can't hear up to 20khz. my god, car audio is boring..

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
I just don't believe in surround sound for music purposes. Why the fuck do you want music coming from behind you??? It's BS. When you go to a concert, the band, the PA system... everything... is in front of you. That's how you hear music.

I've done 5.1 mixdown for DVD-A plenty of times, and all I put in the rear channels is a bunch of effect returns all washed out with reverb or some bullcrap like that. There is no need for rear speakers when listening to music.

THe only time surround sound is appropriate or necessary is for watching movies or playing video games. And the only way to get true surround sound that is worth a crap is to get out of your car and go in to your living room where you have a surround sound setup. 5.1 in cars does not work. It's a waste.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ good lord.. did somebody burn these evil thoughts into your head that 5.1 car audio is the devil..? relax a bit. if it bothers you that much just be thankful its my money and not yours. :chill: once im all finished ill let you know what a waste it all was..lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
The PXA-H701 can emulate a center channel if one isn't present. But I am in agreement that 5.1 surrond sound in a car is a waste. You'd have to replace all the plastic and metal with carpet and foam (or something else less reflective) and alpines fiberglassed cars might as well be plastic and metal.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
^^ good lord.. did somebody burn these evil thoughts into your head that 5.1 car audio is the devil..? relax a bit. if it bothers you that much just be thankful its my money and not yours. :chill: once im all finished ill let you know what a waste it all was..lol :rolleyes:

I mix 5.1 for a living.... I know how the stuff is produced because it's what I do. It's not designed for the car environment from the getgo...

Trust me on this one. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mix 5.1 for a living.... I know how the stuff is produced because it's what I do. It's not designed for the car environment from the getgo...

Trust me on this one. Don't waste your money.
i can understand where your coming from because i'm a producer.. i really don't care about 5.1 to watch DVDs.. by the time i end up putting a movie in to watch i'm already at my destination.. and i still haven't watched a single movie in my car lol. i mainly want to just redo my full interior components, front and rear. Some call it a waste, i call it going the extra mile. for this reason im going with the 6.5" coaxials for the rear to avoid overkill. it should all come out pretty nicely since im working with my buddy who just got certified for car audio (i don't know the technical terminology) i trust he will take care of all the if, ands, or but's.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts