Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRD is starting up the L-tuned division, so we know that Lexus is part of their mandate...

---

They recently completed a nice Supercharger kit for the landcruiser inline-6 engine.
http://www.latimes.com/news/highway1/20000628/t000060952.html http://www.kazumaparts.com/landcruiser.htm

and they have been supercharging Camry's for a while http://www.kazumaparts.com/supercharger.htm

Come on guys - don't you know that the IS300 deserves a supercharger more than a Camry or a Landcruiser?!

We better get an IS300 S/C before they make a supercharged Tundra or something...

Get to work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
A big note here...one that will turn off many people. If you read the Kazuma FAQ (listed below), you'll see that Toyco does not condone the superchargers as it once has. In fact, there is no implicit statement about retaining the factory warranty anymore...it's more discretionary then anything else. With this kind of support (or lack thereof}), you might as well get something aftermarket from vortech or toyomoto..

___________________________________________
Q. Since the TRD and Kazuma superchargers both use the same design and are manufactured by the same people, why are the warranties so different?
A: There are numerous points considered when determining whether a particular product better supports the philosophy of the Kazuma brand or the TRD Sport Part brand.

No two Toyota model vehicles are engineered to the same design parameters since no two models are intended to serve the same purpose. Therefore, it cannot be assumed that because a particular product fits into the Sport Part category for one make or application it will be suitable to all models as a Sport Part.

There are many reasons why a supercharger or a number of other products sold under the TRD Sport Parts brand may be sold as a Kazuma part for other applications. It may be possible to certify a certain product or component for emissions with one model but not another. It may be possible to integrate the particular part or component warranty into the new vehicle warranty of one model and not the other. It may be possible to install a part without making additional vehicle modifications to one model and not another.

Some parts fall in the “gray” area and can’t easily be classified as either TRD Sport Part or Kazuma. In this case, TRD makes a judgement call.

Q. What is the warranty on Kazuma parts?
A. Kazuma parts with a part number beginning with the 00646- prefix are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase against defects in material and/or workmanship. Certain restrictions apply, so please see Kazuma warranty section (hyperlink) for details. Any Kazuma part with a prefix other than “00646” carries no warranty.

Q. Will installing Kazuma parts void my car’s warranty?
A. In general, installing any aftermarket part on a vehicle that is still covered under the terms of the manufacturer’s new vehicle warranty does not necessarily void your new vehicle warranty. However, if in the opinion of the vehicle manufacturer the aftermarket part caused a warranted original equipment part to fail, the manufacturer is not responsible for the cost of any repairs attributable to the aftermarket part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
ST one of the things that you seemed to overlook is that TRD, or Kazuma, offer different pulley sizes now for the superchargers. I think what they are trying to say is, that if you buy the supercharger with the stock pulley size, then you should have no trouble, but if you decided that 4 psi is not enough and you try to buy a racing pulling from TRD that would boost psi to 15, then most likely it would void the factory warranty.

I am just using the TRD Camry / Solara as a reference. Like I am pretty sure that running a Camry at 10+ psi, with 343+ hp, would probably void the warranty. I am sure when the whole site comes online, the information will be a little clearer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
I really doubt TRD would come out with somethat that would be potentially harmfull to the engine. I have never heard of a company that puts out products that cause that much damage. Sure turbo systems are pruduced but the driver should know what PSI will do what to their car. With a superchargers set PSI the maker of the kit should know that it will barely effect engine life or not. Isn't that a part of being a good company...to ensure that your products don't do sooo much damage to the stock engine that you won't be able to drive the car anymore after 2 years? It's bad engineering and bad company ethics to put out half a$$ed, barely tested products. This is TRD we are talking about too, not some no name company just in it for the money. Whatever they put out will be fine to use with whatever car it's ok...or else TRD would SUCK and no one would buy it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
GPR..no one here is implying anything about putting out bad products. If you read the disclaimer and understood it, all it really says is that they will warrant the parts themselves, and nothing more. If you understand TRD's reputation and how they've done business in the past, you'll notice that these new superchargers don't carry the same warranty as others. There is so much difference in fact that they are even branding them differently. Instead of the firm stance that it does not, and cannot void the factory warranty (something that is unprecedented in today's business), they instead try to imply Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and state instead that it DOESN'T NECESSARILY mean that it does or doesn't not...a very passive stance at best. If you haven't done so, please read up on their website before making any more nonsensical generalization:


Q. What is the difference between a Kazuma part and a TRD Sport Part?

A. : There is nothing that physically distinguishes a Kazuma part from a TRD Sport Part. Whether a part or product is branded as Kazuma or TRD Sport Part depends entirely on which target market and brand strategy it supports.

TRD Sport Parts are usually bolt-on, OE-type, direct-replacement products that satisfy the customer’s need to enhance the performance of his/her Toyota without sacrificing the security of the Toyota new vehicle warranty. Generally speaking, they are fully warranted, fully compatible with the Toyota new vehicle warranty, conservative by design (meaning they do not significantly decrease driver/passenger comfort), street legal and meet all emission regulations.

The Kazuma brand targets a more aggressive and broader market segment. The Kazuma customer is not generally concerned about the part’s effect on new vehicle warranty. His vehicle may even be outside the new vehicle warranty period. He is willing to make additional modifications if necessary to insure that his vehicle will withstand the additional stresses resulting from the installation of the performance part. The Kazuma customer is more willing to sacrifice ride quality, noise and inconvenience for the additional level of performance to be gained. The Kazuma customer may require an emissions certification to keep the vehicle street legal, or he may not.

Originally posted by GPR:
I really doubt TRD would come out with somethat that would be potentially harmfull to the engine. I have never heard of a company that puts out products that cause that much damage. Sure turbo systems are pruduced but the driver should know what PSI will do what to their car. With a superchargers set PSI the maker of the kit should know that it will barely effect engine life or not. Isn't that a part of being a good company...to ensure that your products don't do sooo much damage to the stock engine that you won't be able to drive the car anymore after 2 years? It's bad engineering and bad company ethics to put out half a$$ed, barely tested products. This is TRD we are talking about too, not some no name company just in it for the money. Whatever they put out will be fine to use with whatever car it's ok...or else TRD would SUCK and no one would buy it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
RTFM below (there is no implicit warranty on the vehicle, possibly an implied one DEPENDING on what the manufacturer determines, though there is a WARRANTY ON THE PART ITSELF, except for the RACIING apps) and RTFMAgnussen's ACt (which states that warranty cannot be denied unles PROVEN it is the culprit to contribute to the failure) at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty/undermag.htm . IF you don't understand the aftermarket sector, please don't comment at all!

Q. What is the warranty on Kazuma parts?

A. Kazuma parts with a part number beginning with the 00646- prefix are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase against defects in material and/or workmanship. Certain restrictions apply, so please see Kazuma warranty section (hyperlink) for details. Any Kazuma part with a prefix other than “00646” carries no warranty.

Originally posted by Tanino:
ST one of the things that you seemed to overlook is that TRD, or Kazuma, offer different pulley sizes now for the superchargers. I think what they are trying to say is, that if you buy the supercharger with the stock pulley size, then you should have no trouble, but if you decided that 4 psi is not enough and you try to buy a racing pulling from TRD that would boost psi to 15, then most likely it would void the factory warranty.

I am just using the TRD Camry / Solara as a reference. Like I am pretty sure that running a Camry at 10+ psi, with 343+ hp, would probably void the warranty. I am sure when the whole site comes online, the information will be a little clearer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
From what I read it seemed like you were implying that since the Kazuma and the TRD superchargers use similar systems that it would be better to go with a vortech or toyomoto. Thats all...if that wasn't you intention then I'm not sure what the point in your posting this FAQ is.

I'm pretty sure that most people will buy a TRD super over the Kazuma. Since one is more performance and one isn't. Plus I don't think most people have even heard of that company in the first place to choose it over a TRD part.

Originally posted by ST:
A big note here...one that will turn off many people. If you read the Kazuma FAQ (listed below), you'll see that Toyco does not condone the superchargers as it once has. In fact, there is no implicit statement about retaining the factory warranty anymore...it's more discretionary then anything else. With this kind of support (or lack thereof}), you might as well get something aftermarket from vortech or toyomoto..

___________________________________________
Q. Since the TRD and Kazuma superchargers both use the same design and are manufactured by the same people, why are the warranties so different?
A: There are numerous points considered when determining whether a particular product better supports the philosophy of the Kazuma brand or the TRD Sport Part brand.

No two Toyota model vehicles are engineered to the same design parameters since no two models are intended to serve the same purpose. Therefore, it cannot be assumed that because a particular product fits into the Sport Part category for one make or application it will be suitable to all models as a Sport Part.

There are many reasons why a supercharger or a number of other products sold under the TRD Sport Parts brand may be sold as a Kazuma part for other applications. It may be possible to certify a certain product or component for emissions with one model but not another. It may be possible to integrate the particular part or component warranty into the new vehicle warranty of one model and not the other. It may be possible to install a part without making additional vehicle modifications to one model and not another.

Some parts fall in the “gray” area and can’t easily be classified as either TRD Sport Part or Kazuma. In this case, TRD makes a judgement call.

Q. What is the warranty on Kazuma parts?
A. Kazuma parts with a part number beginning with the 00646- prefix are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase against defects in material and/or workmanship. Certain restrictions apply, so please see Kazuma warranty section (hyperlink) for details. Any Kazuma part with a prefix other than “00646” carries no warranty.

Q. Will installing Kazuma parts void my car’s warranty?
A. In general, installing any aftermarket part on a vehicle that is still covered under the terms of the manufacturer’s new vehicle warranty does not necessarily void your new vehicle warranty. However, if in the opinion of the vehicle manufacturer the aftermarket part caused a warranted original equipment part to fail, the manufacturer is not responsible for the cost of any repairs attributable to the aftermarket part.



[This message has been edited by GPR (edited July 15, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This isn't exactly where I thought this topic would go, but I am enjoying the discussion nonetheless...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Point #1 - You cannot get a TRD supercharger for the Solara/Camry/Avalon...you can get a KAzuma, without all the nice warranty associated with the TRD name.

#2 - With point #1 in mind, why wait for a supercharger from TRD, when it's not going to be directly supported? Go ahead and get a turbo system from Toyomoto or a SC from Vortech. There will be no differences warranty wise (main reason to go with TRD in the first place). Yes, one is engineered from Toyco, but are you willing to wait 2-4 years for it to come? That's your perogative, depending on how much you want a sc, the whole topic of this discussion in the first place.

#3 - KAzuma is an extension of TRD (did you even read the FAQ?). It seems it was designed specifcally to market questionable trd parts to the public. By questionable, i mean that aftermarket parts which coporate Toyco deems unwise to guarantee the factory warranty in place.


Originally posted by GPR:
From what I read it seemed like you were implying that since the Kazuma and the TRD superchargers use similar systems that it would be better to go with a vortech or toyomoto. Thats all...if that wasn't you intention then I'm not sure what the point in your posting this FAQ is.

I'm pretty sure that most people will buy a TRD super over the Kazuma. Since one is more performance and one isn't. Plus I don't think most people have even heard of that company in the first place to choose it over a TRD part.



[This message has been edited by GPR (edited July 15, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Would somebody clarify things up for me? I am confused.

So there isn't a supercharger for Solara from TRD, instead it's made by Kazuma?

If that's the case, why in the world would those three letters "TRD" appear on the cover of that supercharger?

What's going on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Basically TRD has "spun off" Kazuma as a seperate division. There is an old version Camry supercharger from TRD and a new version Camry supercharger from Kazuma.

People are saying that the reason for the spinoff is that Toyota doesn't want to offer a full service warantee on vehicles with the supercharger, so they decided to make that product line seperate from the less "risky" TRD products.

To me it looks like the new Camry supercharger is a better designed "product" than the old version, but I always had my doubts that adding that much HP to a Camry engine could maintain stock reliability...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Thank you TEG,

I still have a a couple questions. There was an article about TRD Solara in Montor Trend (June issue). Is that supercharger made by Kazuma?

So is it the Kazuma supercharger (not TRD) that boost 200hp to 260hp? Zero to sixty 7.0 sec to 5.6 sec?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that both the old a new supercharger version boost hp that much. Kazuma now offers non stock "overdrive" pulleys to make even more power (but more likely to damage your engine and legal in less areas)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
TEG,
I am not sure why your are saying there is a "new" and "old" version. There is only ONE released version presently, from KAzuma. This version has different pulley options on it. TRD has not released their "official" version, and i am not sure they ever will. If you are inferring about the old prototypes, those were never released publicly. I assumed that what happened is during the timeframe of the old SC public press debut, an internal battle went about deliberating on how to release this without partaking all potential hits in service and warranty claims. The answer was this Kazuma division, hence the delay of almost 3-4 months behind its first initial schedule release. It's unorthodox to say the least, since TRD has everything from headers, cams, to the regular SC's (for 4 Runners, TAcomas, etc.).


Originally posted by TEG:
I think that both the old a new supercharger version boost hp that much. Kazuma now offers non stock "overdrive" pulleys to make even more power (but more likely to damage your engine and legal in less areas)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
TEG...call up TRD/KAzuma/Toyota...the "old version" never existed beyond prototype. No one beyond TRD themselves has an "old version", or realistically just one with a different fab. ONly very recently was the SC for the CAmry/Solara/AValon even available, and that is only through the KAzuma line.

Note also that the pictures you posted are not for the Solara/CAmry/Avalon. Only the one below is...the one on above is actually for the TAcoma/4Runner series.


Originally posted by TEG:
Old version:



New version:



[This message has been edited by ST (edited July 16, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Well in all the FAQ's there really isn't a place that says the supercharger will void your warranty. It said that some of the Kazuma parts may void you warranty, and even then the supercharger is the only piece that is covered with a full year warranty.

They never really clearly state that "These parts will void your warranty." They just keep on saying that people that install Kazuma parts aren't concerned with new Vehicle warranties. Notice how the FAQ where it has, Sales, Ordering and Returning, is missing the part where it is supposed to say: "Will installing Kazuma parts void my car’s warranty?" So they may be trying to clarify it themselves, as somethings do fall in a "grey area".

Whether or not Sports Parts or L-Tunes will offer a supercharger is yet to be seen. Like a said before, we can't really tell until the full site is online.

I don't expect a supercharger with stock pulleys to void the warranty. Using any other Kazuma part probably will though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check out these links:
http://www.camryman.org/trdcamry.htm
http://marge.emba.uvm.edu/jkraham/defaultcamry.htm
http://www.pierceytoyota.com/f_trd.html
http://home.cfl.rr.com/poman/news.html
http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/

(and yes, perhaps I misused the 3.4l V6 'truck' S/C picture instead of the Camry prototype)

My local Toyota dealer had one of those 3.4l V6 supercharger kits (what I called "old") and I asked the parts guy what it was for and he said - for the V6 Toyotas like the Tacoma and the Camry... I guess I got a little mis-information.


[This message has been edited by TEG (edited July 17, 2000).]
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top