Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before leaving for Christmas vacation, I tried to turn over my IS and it wouldn't start.
Here are my symptoms:
- Turn on the key, all lights and radio come right on - not battery related
- Turn the key all the way forward, every thing stays on and the starter tries to engage, but i just get a grinding whirr- not a click click click
- Just in case, I tried to jump it, same noises.

My initial thoughts are that it's the starter, but it could just be the solenoid-anyone have any experience changing the starter out? Is it a project best left to the pros?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I don't have any experience with the IS starter per say but it sounds like the starter is operating but the solenoid is not engaging. Try to get under the car and bang on it. this may unstick it. You will have to replace it at some point though.

Reactions: dcarp

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help! I used the "Jes whang it with a hammer" solution with my old truck, I wasn't sure if that particular repair would work on our delicate pieces of machinery. I'll try when I get home.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Ditto. try tapping it a couple times. Sounds like the silenoid is effed.
If it engages, i recommend replacing it anyways. It will probably stick again.
I havent had experience replacing them on an IS yet.. but starters tend to be easy as hell, or a son of a bitch lol so Good Luck.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read that on our cars, it can be the latter, considering the location. It's on the lower left side of the block (as you're looking at it) correct?

In my old S-10, I could see it.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good News! not the starter. It turns out that the engine was flooded. Once they cleared the flood, she started right up.

Not real sure how that can happen on an EFI engine, so my mechanic is going through it today to make sure all of my connections and sensors are working properly and not corroded or pending failure.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of issue?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Was it very cold? EFI engines can flood and do flood,....GM. Just like in the old days of carbs (GM) floor the accelerator and crank it over it will start once it clears the excess fuel.

This technique may not work on none GM cars.

·
Registered
262 Posts
meh ive seen it if your plugs were old than you prolly flooded it without even knowing it turned it on moved it in the cold didnt let it warm up, then shut it off again, it happens sometimes you just need to change the oil and beat on it after its warm maybe spark plugs, Mostly thats my ideas.... professionally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts