Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...this one's got me baffled...

I own three w3v2 10" subs...their dual voice coils each 2 ohms...I've been running only two of them, because of a situation with my amp, and because I thought I had blown my other one...

But...I decided to try to put my third one into my system just to try out the third sub to see If I had blown it...

Here's what happened...I wired it to an alpine amp bridged feeding about 100 watts...anyways...I hooked it up with a + to the alpine from one voice coil, and a - to the alpine on the other voice coil. Then I connected the remaining + and - on each of the voice coils to each other...I don't know if this is series/parallel or whatever...but anyways...it didn't get the sub working...

Then I just decided to leave one of the voice coils empty and just hook one voice coil up to the alpine amp...didn't work...

The next attempt was simply switching voice coils and hooking the other voice coil up to the alpine...voila!...it worked...so I'm guessing I burnt out a voice coil on the sub?

And the other strange thing...when I got it working to the alpine amp it was reproducing other frequencies besides bass...I could hear every frequency...inlcuding the highs...playing from the sub...I didn't think that was possible?

Help please...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
If you wired it like you said you did it sounds like you might have burnt one of your coils.

Your sub can play high frequencies but it will do fail at it. You need to set your lowpass crossover to cut out the higher stuff.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would it be a bad idea to run the subwoofer that has a burnt coil with the other two ones that still have two perfectly good voice coils?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
So would it be a bad idea to run the subwoofer that has a burnt coil with the other two ones that still have two perfectly good voice coils?
Yes, if the coil is infact burnt up. I would get yourself a voltmeter and test it first just to make sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts