Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone:

I was trying to install a rear camera in my Lexus IS300, 2004.
I used a test light to find the hot wire in the tail light, but I touched a couple contact points.

I checked the fuses. They were fine. The Internet says it’s probably a bad brake switch. I replaced it.

Car still won’t go into gear, and the dash lights: brake, abs, and trac on are still on.

I’m out of options. Any ideas? I can put it into gear by using the override button by the gear shift, but obviously that is not going to cut it for the long term.

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Hi Everyone:

I was trying to install a rear camera in my Lexus IS300, 2004.
I used a test light to find the hot wire in the tail light, but I touched a couple contact points.

I checked the fuses. They were fine. The Internet says it’s probably a bad brake switch. I replaced it.

Car still won’t go into gear, and the dash lights: brake, abs, and trac on are still on.

I’m out of options. Any ideas? I can put it into gear by using the override button by the gear shift, but obviously that is not going to cut it for the long term.

Thank you,
Steve
Do the brake lights come on? If so it is not the brake switch. Might be the neutral safety switch. As for backup camera power. Reverse light circuit is what you tap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Yes there are 3 fuse panels: 2 inside and one under the hood. I have the manual and checked all fuses that had any mention of Brake Lights or ABS. All fuses are intact. I haven't installed the backup camera yet. Only because that's when I experience the problem. I'll have to check re: the "neutral safety switch". I wasn't aware of that one. I'm also going to put the the test lamp on the brake switch leads and see if it lights up at all. I'll post those results tomorrow AM.

Again, thanks for your support.
-steve

·
Registered
345 Posts
are the brake lights working at all?

Is the bulb for the 3rd brake light working?

Just random thoughts with no real basis for how they affect your situation.....

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did a quick forum search and found this post

There are four fuses responsible for shift lock. Make sure these are good first.

-10A radio#2
-10A ECU-IG
-15A Stop
-10A Gauge

If everything else works on the car then it's probably not the fuses because they feed other systems. It's possible the shift lock solenoid went bad and won't disengage the shift lock. I would grab a multimeter and check for power(+12v) at the solenoid when you're in park and hit the brake pedal. There is also a switch under the brake pedal that needs to close to tell the shift lock ECU that the brakes are depressed.
Not all of the fuses have to do with the brake lights, so you may want to double check the fuses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts