Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as we both started about dead even, and I had 4 other ppl in my car, we were so close, for a while. Then, ever so slightly, the IS300 was pulling away up near 90. Im wondering if maybe the outcome would have been different if I didnt have a full tank of gas and 4 other ppl in the car. Sorry its not a kill, or whatever, but I really dont know how close an auto IS300 is to a *new* (180 hp) manual 1.8t. Im not trolling, I just like the IS300, and wonder in the real world, how they stack up to other cars.

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
My post was edited, because I don't know how to speak with out calling names, I guess I am still a little boy....

·
Registered
832 Posts
LOL " DA DA DA" isn't that's how the Vw slogan goes.....

99/3000gt
black

03/Is300
Crystal White
Titanium Tint
S2k antenna

Coming Soon'
Hks Carbon Ti
Xerd race pipe
K&n Filter

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
where is the BS flag when you need it. you had four people in your car...how many people in his car? i say BS when you kept up until 90 mph. it's either he was not racing you in the beginning or you have some power adder you're not disclosing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 children. Anyways, today, We went again, each with a passenger. I started to pull on him up at 50. Then again, I was near empty, and he doesnt use E-shift. I think, the IS isnt much, if at all faster, than the 1.8t. Im lighter, and have just as much power to the ground. Im talking about whp. I dont number race, so to me, they seen even. Not very "sporty" for 30k. He wont race from a stop. I say he'd have the advantage, but I wouldnt know. And its not BS what im telling you. Im sure the more "elite" group and mature posters know this.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Britishboy3010 said:
Im lighter, and have just as much power to the ground. Im talking about whp.
anybody here has a scanned dyno slip (stock)? i'm just curious as to how much does the IS300 makes in terms of RWHP.

Britishboy3010 said:
I dont number race, so to me, they seen even.
are you basing your conclusion from this particular IS300 that you've raced?

Britishboy3010 said:
Not very "sporty" for 30k.
:roll: :roll: what counts as sporty? is it just pure straight line acceleration? to me, the IS300 does it's job...although it may not be to you.

Britishboy3010 said:
Im sure the more "elite" group and mature posters know this.
so, by disagreeing with your opinions, that makes me and the others immature? :roll:

·
Registered
612 Posts
n2knee has a good point... what's "elite" to you? I don't flame posts, but I'm disagreeing with you about you taking the IS with four ppl in your 1.8T.

Also, what exactly is sporty? Do you really think a front wheel drive car such as the VW qualifies for a sports car? Think again.

The last time I wanted to be pulled while riding on 4 wheels, I was 5 years old and wanted my daddy to pull me in my little red wagon! That's not my own quote, but a good friend said it once to me and convinced me not to ever get a FWD car!

I'm not trashing your VW... it's an excellent car, but I think that your car would run out of breath after 80mph and would definitely get whooped in a road course. Maybe you should go to APR and get their stage I or II then try again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, I had 4 kids. He did start to pull on me, but it didnt seem like he was pulling away as fast as 215 hp should have from my Jetta. By sporty, I mean how fun it is to drive. My moms 3000gt is sporty, and fun to drive. My dads A6 is sporty, and fun to drive. Minivans arent fun to drive. Trucks arent fun to drive. As for fwd? Ever hear of the monster srt/4? I consider it a monster, as it has great handling, and fun to drive, all under 20k. Yea, it pulls. Pulls away from IS300s, and Jettas. Even with a chip, its still a beast. For an IS300 to compete, it needs to be turbocharged. Oh, did I mention it was fwd? Fwd also doesnt lose as much power in the tranny. I think its less than 10%, as compared to 14 or so or so percent on rwd cars. Thats an advantage in the fwd's favor.
But sorry if I seemed like I was flaming, but I sometimes get the feeling some of you dont give a shit about what the other "side" has to say. I notice, that I can sometimes get more unique answers looking at other forums, which is why I came here.
I said elite, because it seems alot of people come in, say shit, and try to cause fights. Elite to me are the people who post to help someone, or to offer a valid opinion.
Back to the whole 4 ppl in the car. I figure, if the IS and the 1.8t are close, that having an extra 200-300 lbs (not full tank of gas) of CHILDREN shouldnt make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
i smoked the sh*t out of a jetta before,when i still had my IS a jetta cant beat an IS :D

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
i smoked the sh*t out of a jetta before,when i still had my IS a jetta cant beat an IS :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you realize there are 2 models? The 150 hp, and the 180 hp. Most likely, if you smoked him, it was 150. Thats saying you didnt race a TDI or something, ahahahahaha. GOod job at beating a diesel jetta! Im sure your friends are proud you beat a car that does 0 - 60 in over 10 sec.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
Britishboy3010 said:
See, I had 4 kids. He did start to pull on me, but it didnt seem like he was pulling away as fast as 215 hp should have from my Jetta. By sporty, I mean how fun it is to drive. My moms 3000gt is sporty, and fun to drive. My dads A6 is sporty, and fun to drive. Minivans arent fun to drive. Trucks arent fun to drive. As for fwd? Ever hear of the monster srt/4? I consider it a monster, as it has great handling, and fun to drive, all under 20k. Yea, it pulls. Pulls away from IS300s, and Jettas. Even with a chip, its still a beast. For an IS300 to compete, it needs to be turbocharged. Oh, did I mention it was fwd? Fwd also doesnt lose as much power in the tranny. I think its less than 10%, as compared to 14 or so or so percent on rwd cars. Thats an advantage in the fwd's favor.
But sorry if I seemed like I was flaming, but I sometimes get the feeling some of you dont give a sh*t about what the other "side" has to say. I notice, that I can sometimes get more unique answers looking at other forums, which is why I came here.
I said elite, because it seems alot of people come in, say sh*t, and try to cause fights. Elite to me are the people who post to help someone, or to offer a valid opinion.
Back to the whole 4 ppl in the car. I figure, if the IS and the 1.8t are close, that having an extra 200-300 lbs (not full tank of gas) of CHILDREN shouldnt make that big of a difference.
i dont know man... i drive vw too but imo you can't compare fwd with rwd. as you probably aware, rwd car has a much superior handling than a fwd car; that's why rwd platform is the choice of any sport sedan or sport car.

srt/4 is a beast but that car must have some mad torque steering wheel...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I agree, but for the power we are dealing with (high 100s and the 200 hp range), I think fwd is alright. If its raining, rwd can be a scary thing to drive. Fwd is a pain too, but its easier to keep under control. Now AWD is the best way to go as far as sports cars go....:):) Anyone say RS6? I cant wait! Perfect traction in the rain, or on dry pavement, and its as fast as an M5! Vipers will have a new challenge in anything but perfect driving conditions.

·
Registered
612 Posts
British...

Please don't think that I'm shooting you down just b/c you don't have an IS. That's truly not the case. I've never posted a kill story with my stock IS300, but one of my best friends drives a 2003 1.8T Passatt with chip, air, and exhaust and I consistenly beat him. Now, he has an auto and his car is much heavier than yours. But if you put 4 "children" in your car, then you're about even with my friend's Passatt and that's why I doubted that you kept up with the IS.

Maybe your manual is that much faster than the VW/Audi auto tranny... who knows. Also, I used to have an Audi 1.8T with the same set up as my friend's Passatt and I know my stock IS at least feels faster.

Anyway, thanks for visiting the IS forum and don't be discouraged to visit again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, Im not discouraged. Today I truely raced him. This is what I found: Down low, from a stop, or from a slow roll, I can pull half a car. Up high, at around 100, he sometimes or sometimes doesnt pull. I think, the IS is better suited on the Highway, whereas the 1.8t is better on the little roads. Damn I wish I had power up higher...after 60, its just alright power. Not super great, not bad either. Anyways, I each car is good at something else, and at slower speeds, the IS doesnt have pickup.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Britishboy3010 said:
Yea, Im not discouraged. Today I truely raced him. This is what I found: Down low, from a stop, or from a slow roll, I can pull half a car. Up high, at around 100, he sometimes or sometimes doesnt pull. I think, the IS is better suited on the Highway, whereas the 1.8t is better on the little roads. Damn I wish I had power up higher...after 60, its just alright power. Not super great, not bad either. Anyways, I each car is good at something else, and at slower speeds, the IS doesnt have pickup.
100km/h right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope. At 100 MPH, he doesnt pull. At 60MPH, I do. I do from first through 2nd. When we keep going, nothing happens. Im stuck 1/2 - 1 car ahead for the remainder. I always shut down after my 3rd gear, which is good till 105 MPH.

Edit: the Standard tranny is almost a sec faster than the Auto one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
GJ said:
Britishboy3010 said:
100km/h right?
I assume that you're joking b/c he's "British"???

Funny, but I believe that Britain is the only country in Europe that does not used the metric system. In fact, that's why the U.S. does NOT use metric system; because we were under British control until July 4, 1776.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Don't race with kids in the car stupid, really.

I have never driven a car more annoying than the 1.8T Jetta (GF didn't wanna test drive for herself). That thing makes peak torque at 1700rpm, according to the salesdude. I couldn't take a right hand turn without that yapping dog of a car chirping the front tires and jerking.

Annoying.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts