Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have another problem that i hope to be not to big a deal. going about 40-55 mph i start to feel a very shaky steering wheel. it cant be that my tires are out of balance because i had that done 2 days ago and in retrieving my car i still felt the shake. i amm wondering if it is not maybe my tire rods or if it is something else. any input is much appreciated. thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It may still be a tire balance issue. But you can also check for warped rotors. Also, being low on tire tread can cause your condition. If you find nothing, then check the tie rods, lower ball joints, and shocks. I guess ... if nothing else, it can also be a bad control arm bushing.

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
Is the steering wheel shaking in your hands? Or does it just feel soft and wobbly at certain speeds?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
check the tire and wheel for out of round.
Try and be there for this as tire folks want to use a crazy spec like 1/8 inch is OK.
I have had new and part worn tires replaced under warranty but its a fight.
Also wheels have been bent and replaced on my dime !!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you've got a caliper that isnt receeding after applying the brakes then the pad just cakes on the rotor and it starts to warp out of round and that's when you feel furious vibrations without stepping on the brake. Another thing it could be is those curious metal tabs that push the brake pads off the rotor. Should be an easy DIY diagnosis. Put the car on jacks or a lift and see if you have any resistance on any of the wheels by spinning them. If a caliper is bad, you can usually hear the pad dragging while you spin the wheel, and feel a decent amount of resistance.

Someone on an AU Aristo forum asked the same question and I found this feedback useful:
Gun Aristo; said:
had this problem, the brakes are getting stuck on.
in my case the piston seals were brittle and failed. a brake shop should be able to hook you up with a oil seal kit and get them back to new again.
Note: this happened to all of my brakes (not at the same time) so may be something you might wanna take a look at on all corners

Hope this helps.

- Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the mechanic check (as he was also replacing my timing belt and water pump) and turns out my caliper keeps locking up, so i went to napa and will be ordering 2 front rotors and a new caliper. Turns out they have a good deal where they give me $50 back for taking in my old caliper! Thanks for the info on everything guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.