Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if too many people are away, however, with the new LEXUS LS430, it has a 6 speed automatic transmission......

I think its wonderfull to see all the people doing the r154, w58, v160/161 swaps...howabout this one?

I've been trying to do some research lately with NO luck on any info on what exact tranny is in the new LS430...

I know its not as easy of a match as the v160....however, for some of us people who was to stay auto, fairuza11 included, I know he has some huge transmission plans up his sleves...

I've been curious about this, so maybe GTE or anyone else can chime in on the possibilities of using the new 6 speed automatic tranny that the LS is using...

any insight appreciated.....thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Well, here's a start-

1) the 1UZ-FE (or whatever version of the V8 they're up to, prolly 2UZ-FE with the 4.3L v8s) has a TOTALLY different bell housing than the 2JZ series engines, so you'd probably have to have a custom bell housing done, in addition to the cost of the new tranny ($$), mounts, fabrication (possible work to the tunnel), new drive shaft, what rear end does it use?

2)The parts and labor alone would probably easily surpass the cost of a v160 swap- plus, for really high HP apps, sound performance makes 2JZ-bell housing versions of 3 and 4 speed domestic automatics, such as their SP400, which would be a much better choice and proven to hold power. If you really need a high-horsepower auto- SP and Level 10 would be a great start, as there are a few options already available. The reason you would want to replace the stock auto is to hold more power than it is capable of. Replacing it with another Toyota(lexus) stock auto would not be the road you'd want to take in this case- you'd want to go with what is out there and available and works.

3)I don't think the ECU would take too kindly to all of a sudden having a completely different solenoid setup than the stock auto- While you can get away with removal of the stock auto and replacement with a manual or a fully pneumatic auto, which don't require the stock ecu to do jack shit, it would be very difficult, I would imagine, to have your ecu control the new auto tranny.

Now, don't get me wrong, anything is possible, and if someone really wanted to do this just to prove a point, more power to them.

Practical, compared to other available options? Not at all.

-Chris

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info....the SP or PHR automatic tranny's would be better suited to my future plans... :wink:

just thought it would be interesting to have a 6 speed automatic, but didnt think it would be even more then a full v160 swap...

damn......

:cry:

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ltuned&boosted said:
If the six speed isnt getrag, dont bother.
yeah dude, I dont know what exact tranny the LS430 uses, but I know its strong especially since the car is rated at just under 300 HP....

damn, it would be wishfull thinking to think its a Getrag I guess.... :x

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Replying to Doublins points...

1) I agree

2) If it's not SP or Boostlogic don't bother....Even then it's not gonna be easy to get the tranny in there.......SP has the Adapter kit and all but it's not just a bolt up affair....even less then the V160......Btw Level 10 SUCKS....

3) Go Standlaone...You'd obviously have the need for it with the power you would be hoping to make....

I would say go Getrag....The built Auto can be Daily Driven but I don't know about you having it as a DailyDriver and all....Also I belive a Fully Built Auto from SP is around 8 to 10 grand.....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
...BULLISH RACING Enhanced...
.....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH RACING.....When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST"....

.....1st Getrag V160 Swap.....GTE you can have the Engine/Tranny as a combo but I had the Tranny First....lol

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dt1313 said:
Replying to Doublins points...

1) I agree

2) If it's not SP or Boostlogic don't bother....Even then it's not gonna be easy to get the tranny in there.......SP has the Adapter kit and all but it's not just a bolt up affair....even less then the V160......Btw Level 10 SUCKS....

3) Go Standlaone...You'd obviously have the need for it with the power you would be hoping to make....

I would say go Getrag....The built Auto can be Daily Driven but I don't know about you having it as a DailyDriver and all....Also I belive a Fully Built Auto from SP is around 8 to 10 grand.....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....
.....TOYOMOTO & BULLISH RACING.....When you care enough to ONLY use the VERY BEST"....

.....1st Getrag V160 Swap.....GTE you can have the Engine/Tranny as a combo but I had the Tranny First....lol
thanks for all the info guys....

well Dan, as you know I want to build a street/track car...I really enjoy going and doing the 1/4 strip during racing season....and the occasional street racing....but more so the track, which I felt the auto would be best for....I guess i'll have to wait and see how brian does with his tranny....

or looks like I better start learning how to drive manual!!! :x

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
IS3FINALLYmd said:
yea when the hell we gonna see a powerglide in the IS dammit :pissed:

:lol:
well....hrmm :-? ahh Nevermind...... :)

TSoprano......If Bri does what he and I have talked about, what his experiences are won't really fit into your whole wants/needs....I learned how to Drive manual on this car belive it or not....2500 miles then it went to Lance..... :D :D :D ..Not hard at all, plus I fogured if I screwed it up it was getting replaced anyway :D ....

Dan
02' MSM IS300
.....TOYOMOTO Built.....

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dt1313 said:
TSoprano......If Bri does what he and I have talked about, what his experiences are won't really fit into your whole wants/needs....I learned how to Drive manual on this car belive it or not....2500 miles then it went to Lance..... :D :D :D ..Not hard at all, plus I fogured if I screwed it up it was getting replaced anyway :D ....
DT: tru man, good point...i'm not after the crazy power numbers that Brian will be getting once his project is complete....dare I say it might be the fastest IS 300 by next spring? we'll have to stay tuned for that..

as for me...I definatly see a Stage 3 + thinggamabob in my future this spring around march....thats basically what i'm after....similar to yours and freelance's street #'s, and Randy's track power, although he hasnt boosted over 22 psi and on the dyno he was a shade under 600 on just 22 psi! that video he posted just floored me thats for damn sure....sick crazy numbers!

I guess i'll have to learn stick and for my wants/needs, makes sense for the v160 other then sticking to auto.....

damn, maybe i can go to a driving school and learn stick, or a fellow .netter teach me one of these days.... 8)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
what would be the point, honestly?

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IS300GTE said:
thats a silly question to ask....why did you want the 6 speed???

well, obviously because for you, its what the TT supra came with, its designed to hold enourmous power, and how its geared, especially good to over 200 MPH....

well, I figuired, why not the 6 speed automatic??

I wish there were details as to exactly what tranny it is on the LS430....who knows if toyota designed it, or even Getrag? I looked but couldnt find any further info...

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i wanted and have the 6 speed for one reason, it holds the power. not because its six gears, not because it comes in another car, and i have to have it because it is not stock. the gearing means nothing, with the supra rear end, i could go theoretically almost as fast, and over 200mph. i want reliability, period

if you make enough power, to damage the auto, you'll be able to build the 5 or th 6 speed, with no benefit to building the six speed, except for having to spend more money, since the 5 speed auto trans's have already been worked out by peter farrell

so again, what would be the point, honestly? (try and leave out the novelty/fact that it isn't a stock part so i must must have it mentality)

-gte

ps - getrag didn't design it if that helps with your reasoning

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

well, obviously because for you, its what the TT supra came with, its designed to hold enourmous power, and how its geared, especially good to over 200 MPH....

I wish there were details as to exactly what tranny it is on the LS430....who knows if toyota designed it, or even Getrag? I looked but couldnt find any further info...

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IS300GTE said:
i wanted and have the 6 speed for one reason, it holds the power. not because its six gears, not because it comes in another car, and i have to have it because it is not stock. the gearing means nothing, with the supra rear end, i could go theoretically almost as fast, and over 200mph. i want reliability, period

if you make enough power, to damage the auto, you'll be able to build the 5 or th 6 speed, with no benefit to building the six speed, except for having to spend more money, since the 5 speed auto trans's have already been worked out by peter farrell

so again, what would be the point, honestly? (try and leave out the novelty/fact that it isn't a stock part so i must must have it mentality)

-gte

ps - getrag didn't design it if that helps with your reasoning

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

I appreciate your insight as always......

couldnt we assume that the 6 speed automatic in the LS430 is built pretty strong already since the car is roughly 300 HP?

thats true, good point, PFS has built up their auto's very very strong.....

I read on PHR's website they also have a specially built auto tranny for the IS good for up to 800 rwhp.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
i think it would be foolish to try and blaze your own trail, when one has been blazed for you

both the IS auto trans and the supra auto trans have been worked. there is no reason for six gears for drag racing

if you notice, the faster cars, such as titans supra and paul efantis' supra all have 3 speed autos. i think that vinny 10 runs a 2 speed power glide?

so number of gears does not always equate to acceleration, it really depends on your setup, but a built stock trans will suit you perfectly i think

-gte

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IS300GTE said:
i think it would be foolish to try and blaze your own trail, when one has been blazed for you

both the IS auto trans and the supra auto trans have been worked. there is no reason for six gears for drag racing

if you notice, the faster cars, such as titans supra and paul efantis' supra all have 3 speed autos. i think that vinny 10 runs a 2 speed power glide?

so number of gears does not always equate to acceleration, it really depends on your setup, but a built stock trans will suit you perfectly i think

-gte
yeah man....I KNOW that the fastest track supra's are all built autos, some with the chevyTH400 tranny's....thats definatly not my cup of tea, I wont be needing that much....I dont think I'll be going 900+

perhaps the built auto trans will be good for me....I dont believe it would be neccesary to v160 for me, so your right, the auto trans is what I definatly want to stick with....

yet, my question still remains with the 6speed, i neccesarily mean for street and track use....and those occasional races like you v160 guys sometime get over 140 and where the 6th gear does come into play....that was my reasoning also for the 6speed automatic trans....

GTE, what do you think of the PHR auto tranny when compared to what PFS and Lance do to their auto cars?

taken from PHR website:

PHR Automatic Transmission Upgrade. PHR is the first to design and construct an automatic transmission upgrade exclusively for the new Lexus IS300! Designed to be used in conjunction with our Stage 1 or Stage 2 Single Turbo Kits featured above, the upgraded automatic is capable of handling up to 800 Horsepower while keeping shift shock to a minimum and increasing reliability. All OEM operations still function normally, such as E-Shift and automatic torque converter lock-up. These transmissions shift faster and harder than the factory unit, while maintaining the sport-sedan feel of refined power delivery. A must for any 400+ Horsepower IS300! Price: $3,495.00 with exchange

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
you can do 161.73mph with the stock auto gearing (at 6500rpm/stock tires)

you can do 192 with the stock supra six speed gearing (at 6500rpm/stock tires)

i can't find the 04 ls430 gearing, but the final drive seems to be 3.77, else i could calculate something out for that

you'd be much better served using a rear like parcelpimps, with the stock trans gearing, than anything else, you could do 194.7 (at 6500rpm/stock tires) theoretical mph with that setup, and the rear like bobs bolts in, and will take the n/a supra trd or other lsd.

-gte

tsopranoMB said:
yeah man....I KNOW that the fastest track supra's are all built autos, some with the chevyTH400 tranny's....thats definatly not my cup of tea, I wont be needing that much....I dont think I'll be going 900+

perhaps the built auto trans will be good for me....I dont believe it would be neccesary to v160 for me, so your right, the auto trans is what I definatly want to stick with....

yet, my question still remains with the 6speed, i neccesarily mean for street and track use....and those occasional races like you v160 guys sometime get over 140 and where the 6th gear does come into play....that was my reasoning also for the 6speed automatic trans....

GTE, what do you think of the PHR auto tranny when compared to what PFS and Lance do to their auto cars?

taken from PHR website:

PHR Automatic Transmission Upgrade. PHR is the first to design and construct an automatic transmission upgrade exclusively for the new Lexus IS300! Designed to be used in conjunction with our Stage 1 or Stage 2 Single Turbo Kits featured above, the upgraded automatic is capable of handling up to 800 Horsepower while keeping shift shock to a minimum and increasing reliability. All OEM operations still function normally, such as E-Shift and automatic torque converter lock-up. These transmissions shift faster and harder than the factory unit, while maintaining the sport-sedan feel of refined power delivery. A must for any 400+ Horsepower IS300! Price: $3,495.00 with exchange

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IS300GTE said:

i can't find the 04 ls430 gearing, but the final drive seems to be 3.77, else i could calculate something out for that

you'd be much better served using a rear like parcelpimps, with the stock trans gearing, than anything else, you could do 194.7 (at 6500rpm/stock tires) theoretical mph with that setup, and the rear like bobs bolts in, and will take the n/a supra trd or other lsd.

-gte
definatly interesting stuff man...

yeah, i looked for the gearing of the 6 speed auto too, i figuired you would be able to help me more on that aspect...

well, parcelpimp has the GS 400 rear/TRD LSD w/ v160....

hmm, so is it theoretically possible to use a built supra TT auto tranny with a supra rear??

I guess I nbever quite understood why they went with a GS 400 rear, and not a Supra rear like PFS did with Aldo's car....

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
yes, a GS rear, and apparently it has the same mounting locations as our factory rear. it also uses the same internals at the non turbo supra rear, so in turn, the trd lsd could be bolted into it, and it could be bolted right in

it would be much easier for you to use that rear, with your stock trans, for higher speeds, rather than to try and fit a 6 speed auto into the car, and hope its OD gear is taller than the stock IS's (probably not) .

i'm sure you could do a supra auto trans and your rear, or the supra rear as well. let me know if you need a driveshaft ;)

-gte

tsopranoMB said:
IS300GTE said:

-gte
definatly interesting stuff man...

yeah, i looked for the gearing of the 6 speed auto too, i figuired you would be able to help me more on that aspect...

well, parcelpimp has the GS 400 rear/TRD LSD w/ v160....

hmm, so is it theoretically possible to use a built supra TT auto tranny with a supra rear??

I guess I nbever quite understood why they went with a GS 400 rear, and not a Supra rear like PFS did with Aldo's car....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts