Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for adding an amp and sub to the stock system? Step by step instructions would help, I.E exactly where to put the wires. Thanks =)

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are some wiring diagrams in a sticky called useful audio posts.
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13297039
They were posted by TeCKis300. There are also many different ways to do this, but here is what I did.

This is what you need.

Power - You can run your power to your battery through a condensation drainage tube on the passenger side firewall of the car. If you peel away the carpet, which is held down by Velcro, you will see a rubber tube going through the firewall where the foot well meets the center consol. This hole comes out just below your battery and to the right.

Ground - You can ground this to any existing bolt in your trunk. Just make sure there is a good contact with the metal. Either sand or grind any paint away.

Remote - You can run the remote to the cigarette lighter. If you pry the metal ring up around your shift knob, you can access the wires under the lighter. Just run your remote to the pink wire and you are all set.

Preamp - To hook up your amp with RCA cables you need a line converter. This takes speaker wire and converts it to RCA cables. They can range form $15 to $30. Tap off your 6x9's in the rear deck and run that to the LC. Then RCA cables go from your LC to your amp.

Now all you have to do is wire you speakers to your amp. This is where I am at right now and it is pretty confusing. You can wire your subs in series, parallel or if you have two subs, you can run the subs in series to each other and then parallel to the amp and so on. It all depends on the impedance of your amp and speakers. Since I am having trouble with this I will let someone else touch on this subject.

If I was unclear in any way do a search on the individual hookups themselves like "How to run the remote wire?" You might find more info that way

Hope this helps

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I needed, thanks man =) Oh yeah, am I only tapping one 6x9? I am only going to run one sub. Thanx again =)

·
8,880 Posts
LexusCruiser said:
That is exactly what I needed, thanks man =) Oh yeah, am I only tapping one 6x9? I am only going to run one sub. Thanx again =)
Just keep in mind, that 6x9 is actually 2 speakers. :shame:
Be sure to tap into the bass driver.

For best results, AUX Output mod can be done to the stock amp that is located behind glove compartment..
Search and you will find! I promise you, there will be pictures. :wink:

·
Registered
144 Posts
vlad_a is right. Each 6x9 consists of two speakers. They are mounted on top of each other. You will only be able to access the bass driver from the trunk though. You will need to use both left and right, positive and negative 6x9 connections when using a Line converter. AUX output mod is cool but skip it if you are not into soldering and detailed work.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vlad_a said:
LexusCruiser said:
Just keep in mind, that 6x9 is actually 2 speakers. :shame:
Be sure to tap into the bass driver.

For best results, AUX Output mod can be done to the stock amp that is located behind glove compartment..
Search and you will find! I promise you, there will be pictures. :wink:
The picture tutorial is actually for a pre amp input. I may do this if I install a video screen =) Could hook my PS2 to it =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts