Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I just wired up an S2000 style engine start button, made by Ignited.

The switch has 4 connections: Two power wires, main and secondary power at ignition switch, one ground connection, and a connection to the starter wire.

These are the connections I made:

Main power wire to thick white wire at ignition switch
Secondary power wire to thick black with red wire at ignition switch
Starter wire to the think black and white wire at ignition switch
Ground wire bolted to a metal support near the ignition switch

The button starts my engine with the clutch depressed and the key in the on position in the ignition, like it's supposed to.

The problem is that even when the key is not in the ignition, it's not even in the key hole at all, if you depress the clutch and push the button, the car starts cranking but the engine doesn't start. So you can hear the starter, and the belt going, but the engine never starts. Obviously, the key is not in and the transponder is not communicating with the ECU, which doesn't let the engine start. That's a good thing, but I would imagine that nothing is supposed happen at all when the key's not in.

Anyone know what I did wrong with the wiring?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Something that may help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You maybe able to hook up the 12v constant to a 12v ignition so you will only have power to your switch when the key is turned. Not to sure on that though

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Flexia said:
You maybe able to hook up the 12v constant to a 12v ignition so you will only have power to your switch when the key is turned. Not to sure on that though

thsi is the problem... you found/used a constant power lead vs one that is based on the ignition switch being in & turned on....

actually, unless you feel concern that some one will be pressing that button when the key is not in the car etc etc... . i dont think this is a really big deal.. .but to prevent it you will need to change the power lead to a different ignition wire...

·
8,880 Posts
You don't need 2 power wires for this to work.

Here's an easy fix. Take both power wires from the button and connect them to the black wire with a red stripe. It'll fix your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts