Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam thinking of wire tucking the engine bay. Were doing my friends VW and said it would be a cool thing to do on the IS as well were looking to do it on the EVO. Any turbo car is harder due to vacume lines and what not. Yet let me know what you think.

As well if you have done this to your IS or know of another one please post it up. Ill be doing a DIY and build thread when i start the car.

A sample of what iam talking about.. These are what iam going for. Wire tuck plus shave.. A simple wire tuck just looks like something is missing.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Hmm... Interesting!

Never seen or heard of this before. Props to you for taking on a new project.;)

My only question is where do the wires, lines, tubes, etc. get 'tucked' too?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Nice and I do love the look...for a show car. I really admire the amount of work and attention to detail it takes.

Just that for a street car, I much prefer the maintainability of non-tucked wiring and plumbing.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Nice and I do love the look...for a show car. I really admire the amount of work and attention to detail it takes.

Just that for a street car, I much prefer the maintainability of non-tucked wiring and plumbing.
I agree so street/daily driven owners be cautious of what your going to go through to find certain wires when it comes to troubles.

Also on Ryans IS300, he had bolt holes covered and shaved smoothly for a better look. According to him, its not really a wire tuck, but more of getting rid of wires he didn't need due to him running a standalone.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
there are a few different ways, some require drilling into the fender to hide them or extending wires and hoses to gather and bring under the engine. also move the battery to the back, clean intake setup, hide fuse box and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i do wires for a living. So ill do this one in the next month or so and ill make a new thread of the progress and DIY how to. So look out for that.

·
Registered
599 Posts
my last car had a tuck and ive been thinking of the idea of a tuck on the IS

·
Registered
730 Posts
I just love the clean look of the engine bay. please do the diy and keep us posted.

·
10,234 Posts
I have thought about this idea, but the time and labor invovled I felt it wasn't even worth my efforts. What make things a little more complicated with the IS is where the ECU box is located, where and how the factory located the main harnesses. You have two running on each side of the fender and the end connectors do sometimes crossover to the opposite side. Unlike most cars I have seen the ECU box is typically inside the car and also will normally have a main harness bundle running on one side.

Lexus84 was able to make things easier by removing some components, ie ac compressor and also is running a standalone unit. I believe he completely eliminated the stock ECU.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Eliminating the stock ecu is a factor..

Yet like i said i wont know till i start. Iam doing the Evo right now and getting some moves on that first. As soon as my cousin leaves for his business trip ill go to town on his car because ill have down time. There will be many extra wire added to these to extend the harness as well some will be taken out.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
I did it to my mustang back in the day... total PITA, but completely worth it. We fiberglassed pieces to go over the "wire runners" as we referred to them, so whatever was exposed when we were done, was covered. Totally clean look...

(I wish I had pictures... stupid ex-girlfriend has half, the other half was lost when my old hard drive died... cost like $1500 to have a data recovery place get it back)

Good luck and keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts