Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snowed on the weekend so I put on my 16X7 in. winter wheels and tires (purchased through the net). To my great dismay I noticed that the front wheel's outer balancing weights interfere radially with the brake calipers. Relocating the weights would probably give 1/8 in. clearance. Is this clearance good enough, will it reduce with colder weather (was 32F when I installed them)? Please help me, I have to move quickly since winter is already here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by lexrider:
Snowed on the weekend so I put on my 16X7 in. winter wheels and tires (purchased through the net). To my great dismay I noticed that the front wheel's outer balancing weights interfere radially with the brake calipers. Relocating the weights would probably give 1/8 in. clearance. Is this clearance good enough, will it reduce with colder weather (was 32F when I installed them)? Please help me, I have to move quickly since winter is already here.

I tried on my 16x7's and it looks like the weights are going to be dangerously close to the calipers too, I didnt actually drive with them on but I think I better to see if they will clear or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wheels are miglia spider and come from tirerack. Did a quick calculation on thermal contraction of an 8 in. aluminum bar for a delta of 60F and it is negligeable. Still concerned that 1/8 in. clearance is minimal and whether or not the weights can be relocated further to the inside and still balance the wheel effectively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
can you guys tell me if it clears it or not?
I think I will try out my migila spyders out this weekend also.

are you guys refering to the balancing weights that are stickered to the inside wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by paulwu:
can you guys tell me if it clears it or not?
I think I will try out my migila spyders out this weekend also.

are you guys refering to the balancing weights that are stickered to the inside wheel?
Yea paul...thats what we are talking about.
I have the same wheels as you, miglia spyders...and it looks like the weights JUST clear the calipers. I got them from the tire rack. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they can tell me more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Nutinbut,

maybe if we can move the weights in or out just out of the way of the calipers it should be fine. just need to be sure of the balancing.

can you keep us posted?


[This message has been edited by paulwu (edited October 30, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by paulwu:
Nutinbut,

maybe if we can move the weights in or out just out of the way of the calipers it should be fine. just need to be sure of the balancing.

can you keep us posted?


[This message has been edited by paulwu (edited October 30, 2000).]

I sure will Paul!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
It hasn't snowed here (NJ) yet, but whenever it does my IS will be going into hibernation (in the garage). Then it will be time for my trusted, handsome, and now ultra powerful (supercharged) Toyota 4Runner to come out. This thing can take on any kind of terrain...fortunately it has all the goodies that my IS has.
Good luck to the rest of you.

black/ivory
17"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by hasanazhar:
It hasn't snowed here (NJ) yet, but whenever it does my IS will be going into hibernation (in the garage). Then it will be time for my trusted, handsome, and now ultra powerful (supercharged) Toyota 4Runner to come out. This thing can take on any kind of terrain...fortunately it has all the goodies that my IS has.
Good luck to the rest of you.

black/ivory
17"

GRRRRRRRR


Only kidding...I would love to have a second car here in PA.
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
I just put on Dunlop Graspic HS-1 winter tires. Makes the car look badass. Honkin treads and nubs stickin out of the tire. We'll see how it goes.

How come everyone went with the Miglia Spyders? I see that it costs $119 each wheel. What tires did you get on them? Anyone have any pics?

I paid $716 total for my tires, mounting and balancing. Tires were about 170 each.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
I just put on Dunlop Graspic HS-1 winter tires. Makes the car look badass. Honkin treads and nubs stickin out of the tire. We'll see how it goes.

How come everyone went with the Miglia Spyders? I see that it costs $119 each wheel. What tires did you get on them? Anyone have any pics?

I paid $716 total for my tires, mounting and balancing. Tires were about 170 each.

It cost me 910.00 delivered to my door, mounted and balanced from tirerack for the 16 inch miglia spyders and the bridgestone blizzak mz-01's.

I wanted to keep the 17's on with winter tires but for the difference of 200 dollars or so, I could switch them back and forth and not worry about ruining the factory 17's with all the salt and stuff in the winter. Plus, I dont like the thought of continually changing the tires on the 17's. More cost and more chances of getting the rims scratched....ouch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
I didn't get the miliglia and I didn't get konig reign!!!

woo hoo! does that make me special ;D

anyway, I went with konig burner... partly because its 100 bucks a piece
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,256 Posts
I just tried mine on today, the little balance weight was rediculously close to the break caliper. about 1 mm away from touching. I think I will bring it into the dealer to have them check it out. (it will cost about 45 bucks to readjust all the masses.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to the Lexus dealer and had my balancing weights relocated on my miglia wheels. Could have done the two front ones only, but did the four of them since I will be rotating them every year. They are now located about 2 in. more towards the inside, on the flat immediatly after the 1 in. slope. I did slow speed sweeps from 0 to 140 KM/hr (85 MPH) and felt no vibrations so we have a low speed solution. Will try higher speeds later.
Have to mention that Rusty at tirerack was very helpfull. He gave me useful info and told me to go ahead and try the re-balancing scheme and that if I was not satisfied that they would take the wheels back and reimburse all my expenses. I like that kind of attitude.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top