Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Lexus today to find out what all-season or winter tires they recommend for the IS300 w/ 17" wheels. While the normal "summer" tire size is 215/45/17, Lexus recommended putting on Goodyear RS-A tires with a size of 215/50/17.
The question I have is why would they go from 45s to 50s without changing rims? Will they rub?
Any help would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by JAWS (edited December 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure this info will help but..

In Canada, when you order a Winter Tire Package from the Dealer, They will give you the 16 inch rim (the exact same rim as the RX300) then winter tire 205/55-16. Like Michelin Alphin, few other winter tire choice as well. But the rim and size are the correct size if you get it from a Canada Lexus Dealer. And we get tons of snow.

Originally posted by JAWS:
I called Lexus today to find out what all-season or winter tires they recommend for the IS300 w/ 17" wheels. While the normal "summer" tire size is 215/45/17, Lexus recommended putting on Goodyear RS-A tires with a size of 215/50/17.
The question I have is why would they go from 45s to 50s without changing rims? Will they rub?
Any help would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by JAWS (edited December 06, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have no idea to why they would increase it to 50, but I have the recommended 205/55/16 tires @32 psi on my 16" pos rims and the driver side front rubs a little when backing up.

Was that you Tues. morning in Englishtown @ the ice cream shop parking next to me?

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
141 Posts
keep the exact size tire, but get a tire that is a "winter tire" .. do not get a 50 series 17" tire .. I'm getting and extra set of rims and tires (same size as stck 17's) so I don't have to keep changing tires off my nice graphite rims. the 16" size is mostly recommended because of cost. the 17" wheels/tires are more expensive, but look nicer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was that you Tues. morning in Englishtown @ the ice cream shop parking next to me?

-crontab -l

[/B]
Yes it was. I thought that might be you because of the rims.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yes it was. I thought that might be you because of the rims.

Ah, I was going to ask if you frequent @ is300.net after I got some cash from the MAC, but when I walked out of the bank you were already gone.

How do you like my rims? I bet you're jealous.

-crontab -l

------------------

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by crontab:

How do you like my rims? I bet you're jealous.

-crontab -l

Not jealous, just wondering what kind of rims they are? It looked like you had some beefy tires on the car. I really do not want to buy an extra set of rims. I do not mind getting the tires because the 17s will wear out quickly. The 50 series RS-A Goodyears have a long tread life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recommend that you give Tire Rack a call. They can recommend the appropiate wheel/tire size as well as offer you a complete winter rim/tire package if you want one. They will not steer you wrong. You are doing the right thing by getting winter tires. You can bet that we will see posts on this board from those who don't.

www.tirerack.com

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just curious. Since most of the country has been hit by snow lately (granted not much), how are the stock 17's handling the snow? Anyone have any experience yet?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Not jealous, just wondering what kind of rims they are? It looked like you had some beefy tires on the car. I really do not want to buy an extra set of rims. I do not mind getting the tires because the 17s will wear out quickly. The 50 series RS-A Goodyears have a long tread life.[/B]
They are cheap 16x7 ALT 190's. And the tires do look beefy when compared to the low profile 17" since its 205/55/16. Well, not beefy, more like sh1t.

-crontab -l

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts