Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading many of the posts concerning winter tires but I haven't found a thread comparing winter tires to all season performance tires yet.

What are some opinions of just getting a decent set of performance all seasons instead of swapping tires twice a year? If I get all seasons it's cheaper but with 2 sets they'll obviously last twice as long.

Has anyone run all seasons in the snow? How does the car handle and am I better off going with the 2 set method for winter handling? This IS is the first rear wheel car I'll be winter driving in about 25 years so I'm not sure which solution is best.

Thanks for helping with this decision.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
neither...

if u must drive the IS in snow....use snow tires...dont bother with the all seasons or summer tires.....they are simply worthless...

the IS is a performance car, not meant to be driven in SNOW....

I got snow tires last winter and used them, but still not a great improvement, and I wont risk driving it in the winter again....

:shame:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
It all depends on whrere you live, how much snow, how often, and how is the terrain. If I lived up north again, I'd have a beater car and never take the Lexus out in the snow. IMHO

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
i would highly recommend getting a set of 16s and snow tires... i ran some brand new all-season tires before switching to the dedicated snow tires and they sucked ass. after putting on the snow tires, i was able to drive much much better.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
just wondering..maybe because im from so cal..but wtf is the difference between sumemr and winter tires?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Astr0LuX said:
just wondering..maybe because im from so cal..but wtf is the difference between sumemr and winter tires?
Summer tires are tires like you would have, like the tires that came on the car.

Winter tires are "snow tires". They have deep tread with a softer rubber compound, and widely separated sharp edged tread blocks to "dig in" to the snow for extra traction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts