Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my wife a 2001 IS300 Auto, the car has the traction control and snow option, yet she has never driven a RWD so i want to make sure she is ok this upcoming fall/winter with rain and snow

Should i but her All Seasons? or Let her use her stocks until winter comes and then put on some Blizzaks till winter is over?

I have a 95 Supra i had some Kuhmo Supra non ..i really mean non snow tires and i had to use em last winter ..what a PITA ..i ended up getting Kuhmo Ecsta All seasons from Tire Rack.... hopefully winter will be better for me... but i've driven RWD cars all my driving life.. so im ok... Im more worried about her

I'm in NJ ...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
You would be best off buying her dedicated snow tires for the winter. All-Seasons are a bad compromise in both summer and winter. Good luck.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would get her dedicated snow tires for the winter if that is her only car. I actually have Toyo Proxes 4 all season tires and they are excellent in both dry and wet conditions. I have not driven with them in snow yet :suspiciou but I was told they are adaquate in light snow.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I drove around with all seasons during the Massholechusetts winters and got around fine. But since this is the first time your wife has ever driven a rear wheel drive car, I'd just get her a dedicated set of winter tires. The traction control helps a bit and the snow button just cuts down your power but it won't do much if the car is sliding on the snow or ice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True ....being she has no RWD experience... I'll look into blizzaks for the winter...
thanks guys...

maybe i should do the same for my supra!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
agreed, it makes a huge difference with blizzaks. It's not as safe without. I have the Proxes for the summer and blizzaks for winter.

·
11,061 Posts
How many days of snow do you generally have each year? Here, we get about three. Therefore, all seasons are fine for us (we get mostly rain in winter and a bit of black ice). I had to drive with my all seasons in about 4 inches of heavy, wet snow a couple of years ago. It was a bit hairy, but I got home okay. If you get two or three weeks of snow, you probably want snow tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel like I'm in the same boat. I plan on buying the new IS in March. Figure I give myself 10-11 months of practice before the snow started kicking in.

I'm from NYC but work in NJ, and our snow days vary, sometimes as little as 7 days to certain days where we may get 30 snow days. I remember driving this past winter in my FWD car and slipping like crazy on Sumitomo all seasons.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i would have to say you should definitely invest some snow tires for her....and def go with blizzaks, I live in N. NJ too and I use blizzkas in the winter and have had no problems with the snow here, even driving through 5+ inches of snow. Even when I turn trac off in the snow to have fun I still have control with the car on blizzaks

but also i never drove around on the stockers in the winter.....once i got the is I swapped the wheels out immediately for 18's and summer tires.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
linner420 what size blizzaks did you put on the IS?

should i get her the 16s now she has the 17 with the gunmetal rims or shoul di get her 17...

i;m on the same boat with the supra i have 17's but they are wide... if i where to get blizzaks for use both should i get us 16's or 17's

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
javi1012 said:
linner420 what size blizzaks did you put on the IS?

should i get her the 16s now she has the 17 with the gunmetal rims or shoul di get her 17...

i;m on the same boat with the supra i have 17's but they are wide... if i where to get blizzaks for use both should i get us 16's or 17's
Well I choose 17's bc I got them used, cheap with very little wear and I also had an extra set of cheap 17" rims from an old car lying around to mount them on. I have a friend who works at a shop too that lets me mount and balance my own tires...so to me mounting and balancing isnt an issue (cost wise) Its up to you if you want to buy her a set of 16" wheels, soley for the winter for her......if not get some blizzaks in 17" and every winter just get them taken off the stock wheels.

I have 225/40/17 in the rear and 215/45/17 in the front...the wheels are 17x7 42 offset. They are semi staggered bc I got them off a fellow .net member who had a sportcross..they are the ws-50, heres some pics of the tread ect

BTW driving the supra in the winter :jawDrop:

·
Registered
444 Posts
We have lots of snow here. I rec. 16" Rav4 rims with 205/55r16 snow tires so you don't have to keep dismounting the tires. I have Pirelli 210 snows and they are much better than the Blizzak ws-50 and lm-22.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey cool thanks for the pics LINNER420

i might her her a tirerack wheel rim package easier to mount dismount

yeha i drive the supra in the winter ... all iv had have been RWD toyotas ..im non turbo so im ok ........

IS3DP ill read up on those Pirelli thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts