Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
my suggestion stands in the wheel/tire forum

I had my OEM 17" wheels mounted with all seasons, and got through winter great

Then I had 18" WORKS on with nice summer rubber

I would look at some other car manu. wheels on ebay cheap in 17" and get some winter rubber

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Michael, your best bet would be the Blizzak LM-25 tires in the stock sizes. Very good performing snow tire. They're pricey, but cheaper than buying alternate wheels and tires too.

If you go the snow tire route, just be very careful & not damage that nice, new car of yours.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I would consider a 17 inch rim, but not sure whether any would fit over the large brakes. May just consider winter or even all-seasons on the stock rims. I'm thinking even though the width of the stock rims will hurt in the snow, putting an all-season or winter tread tire SHOULD help?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It WILL help for sure. It did on my IS300. I dunno what tires the new IS250/IS350 are coming with stock though. I remember back in 2004, they started putting the Bridgestone RE92 all season tires on instead of the RE040 summer tires, but RE92's didn't really help much as far as grip was concerned. Full winter tires would be the way to go here up north.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Michael said:
lxs4, did you ever try full fledged winter tires? Curious if something like Michelin Pilot Sport All-season would still be decent, at least that way I could kind of use the tires into the warmer months... can't really do that with winter tread from what I understand.

I can attest to using an all season tire in winter and summer (till late summer)

Sumitomo HTR+ to be exact

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Michael said:
lxs4, did you ever try full fledged winter tires? Curious if something like Michelin Pilot Sport All-season would still be decent, at least that way I could kind of use the tires into the warmer months... can't really do that with winter tread from what I understand.
Yep, I used the Blizzak LM22 snow tires on the IS. Increased the grip 400% over the stock Potenza's.

If I remember right, some member (from Seattle area)a couple years back got the Pilot sport all-season tires for winter use and they did good. But they said they at most got 3-4" of snow and temperatures rarely dropped below 10 degrees. It depends where you live I guess. We get 10-12" snowstorms here and 0 +/- degree weather. Heck, I have a 4x4 vehicle with some good ground clearance, and I am considering getting some snow tires for it, since the stock all-seasons are complete crap in the wet.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I liked the Pirelli snowsport sottozero they are great in the snow and ice and I live in Canada where we get tons of damn snow!

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
well, the potenza's are a crap tire period. I have the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, and so far, they are an awesome tire, even in the dry. They grip pretty darn well in the wet, and id figure they will be good in the next coming month or so when the snow hits. For 130 a tire, thats not bad at all. Id assume probably 1405 - 155 for the 18's.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We really don't get more than 3 or 4 inches if we ever even have a storm. So I THINK I might be able to get by with all-season tread. If ANYTHING, I'm thinking it'll be better than THIS STOCK RUBBER in the cold months? As I've read, it's not as much the summer tread pattern, but the compound of the tire, that turns almost into plastic in cold wx? The HARDEST problem will be to find an all season tread to fit the rear 255/40/18. So far there's only a Continental and Michelin Pilot Sport AS, I can find.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+Maxx

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looking at tire rack, it looks like these are the only options, if I keep the stock 18 inch rims, and they don't yet have a winter wheel tire package, so I'll probably go with the stock 18 route... was toying with the idea of just trying the summer tires, since we don't get much snow here, but I'm thinking they'll grip terribly in the cold weather?

So...Continental or Michelin in the Ultra High Performance all season... and Blizzak or Pirelli in the snow tire section would be the options. FOr the MONEY, I'm leaning toward the Continental's, but the reviews on the site are not great!? :(

Some of you have already commented.. any other thoughts, suggestions? Also would you recomend going with road hazzard?

Here they are:

Continental ContiExtremeContact
(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Front: 225/40WR18
Serv. Desc: 88W
Price: $119.00

Rear: 255/40WR18
Serv. Desc: 95W
Price: $159.00

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
(Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Front: 225/40YR18