Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone prefer one winter tire for the IS over the other?

the Michelin Pilot Alpine
The Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01 QZ
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 HZ

Or other Winter Tire suggestions Welcomed.

Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
We decided on the Blizzak MZ-01 (205/55/16)with 16" Konig Reign wheels.

[This message has been edited by mellowyello (edited September 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
537 Posts
My set of Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (205-55-16) on 16" Konig Reign wheels should be arriving in a couple of weeks. I've never used winter tires before, so I'm no expert. I did do some research before buying and the Michelins seemed to be very good.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Hmm, let me ask for your opinions. I live in NJ, where it snows occasionally, nothing drastic, rarely. Shall I get snow or all-year tires? The reason I'm asking is don't snow tires dimish quicker if there is no snow on the ground? So wouldn't it make more sense to get all-year tires. I know this question has been beaten to death so go easy on me.

-crontab -r

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
537 Posts
If it only snows rarely where you drive, I think all-season tires would be the best choice. They do a good job in the snow (I've used them for years here in MN) and they should give a lot longer life than true winter tires or the performance tires that come stock on the IS.

Rob

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by crontab:
Hmm, let me ask for your opinions. I live in NJ, where it snows occasionally, nothing drastic, rarely. Shall I get snow or all-year tires? The reason I'm asking is don't snow tires dimish quicker if there is no snow on the ground? So wouldn't it make more sense to get all-year tires. I know this question has been beaten to death so go easy on me.

-crontab -r

if you plan on getting another set of tires (ie you have the 17inch rims with the Goodyears or the Bridgestones..) definately spring the extra bucks for the dedicated winter tires... (it'll be alot cheaper than the cost of body work...) even if there isn't much snow in NJ, the winters will save your ass with freezing rain etc...

definately go with 16s though ... 17 winters are way too expensive... and go for a more narrow tire... 7 max...

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
What about us NorCal people...does anyone up here have All Seasons or did they stick with the Bridgestone/Goodyear stock 17"? Am I doomed in this thing if it rains?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
What about us NorCal people...does anyone up here have All Seasons or did they stick with the Bridgestone/Goodyear stock 17"? Am I doomed in this thing if it rains?
not doomed, but keep your trac control on and go easy on the throttle in the wet... i was driving with the ECT POWER ON and the TRAC CONTROL off and ended up spinning the car about 270degrees when it started to rain and i turn full lock and floored the gas... (my previous car was a FWD and i never had spin out problems... chaulk it up to inexperience...)

safe driving...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the goodyears and the potenza's are supposed to be very good in wet conditions?

·
Registered
537 Posts
MellowYello:

Looks like you got your wheels already. Do you have a picture of them on your IS? I'm very curious to see what they will look like.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
253 Posts
Originally posted by mellowyello:
We decided on the Blizzak MZ-01 (205/55/16)with 16" Konig Reign wheels.

[This message has been edited by mellowyello (edited September 25, 2000).]
I was curious where you were going to get this combo...because it is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Do you get it online??

·
Registered
537 Posts
nutinbut:

I'm not the exact person you were asking, but I have some info for you. I went with the Konig Reign and Michelin Pilot Alpin tires from Discount Tire Direct (www.discounttiredirect.com). They were very competitive with price. I don't think they have Blizzaks though. If you're set on the Konig Reign wheels and the Blizzaks you'll have to order them separately (get the tires from TireRack), because the Reign wheel is a special model that ONLY Discount Tire Direct sells.

Rob

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I opted for the 17" tires as well, I have Goodyears...love the grip on dry asphalt and wet. Beleive it or not, I feel very confident in rain too - traction control on, of course.
The summer tires can definitely handle rain, but if I were driving in snow I'd go with the Blizzaks. They're the best - had a set of 4 for my 92 Supra Turbo, and they were great.
I'm not planning on driving my IS that much during the winter (will switch to my new 4Runner Ltd), so I'm not spending any money on tires, but for those of you who will drive your IS in snow go with the Blizzaks.
Drive safely.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
So are you guys buying two sets of rims w/ tires or are you storing your tires and having a shop switch them out for you when you request it? How much do they charge for that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agentsmith,

lexus charges approx $60 for them to mount and balance and switch the tires, in MA.

Paul

·
Registered
253 Posts
Originally posted by MNSpectraBlueIS:
nutinbut:

I'm not the exact person you were asking, but I have some info for you. I went with the Konig Reign and Michelin Pilot Alpin tires from Discount Tire Direct (www.discounttiredirect.com). They were very competitive with price. I don't think they have Blizzaks though. If you're set on the Konig Reign wheels and the Blizzaks you'll have to order them separately (get the tires from TireRack), because the Reign wheel is a special model that ONLY Discount Tire Direct sells.

Rob
Thanks Rob...Its getting colder and colder every day here in Pa and I have to get prepared!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
nutinbut - Rob is right on, we got the tires from TireRack.com and the wheels from DiscountTire.com. The combo ran us 891.13 (including shipping).

Rob - We haven't put the 16" wheel combo on yet...I am holding out as long as possible with the 18" that are on it. Here's what it looks like right now

·
Registered
253 Posts
Originally posted by mellowyello:
nutinbut - Rob is right on, we got the tires from TireRack.com and the wheels from DiscountTire.com. The combo ran us 891.13 (including shipping).

Mello.....those wheels make you car look INCREDIBLE, I see now why you are holding out as long as you can!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
FYI: It seems that the Konig Reigns are unavailable from discount tire direct. I called this morning and they said they are out of stock and don't have any orders for more. I called a few local retails, where most of them said they don't have any more. One said, they aren't importing anymore into the US?!??! But one did say that his next shipment will have it in 2-3 weeks. Although I don't beleive him since, he sounded quite suspicious. Guess I'm getting a diff set of rims.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mellow, what is the make of the rim you've got on the pictured is300, and where/for how much did you get them. Just wondering because there sweet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts