Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with fall fast approaching and winter around the corner (will be the first winter for my IS :D ) what do you guys do when it's going to snow? Garaging my car isn't an option so I need to find a way to protect it during the winter. Do you guys use weather resistant covers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
haha, good luck.

this winter is going to be my second winter and let me tell you i wished i never bough my car. you better get SOME REALLY GOOD SNOW TIRES, otherwise you will be craying and talking alot shit. i live in massachusetts and i got a fuck load of snow and i hate this fucking car wtih a passion. is300 is the WORST CAR FOR THE SNOW. i will reconment to get a beater. good luck.
 

·
Penetration Specialist
Joined
·
23,688 Posts
I just picked up a nice 4x4 Jeep Cherokee for my commute to work and this winter. The Lex will be sitting warm in the garage. 8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,234 Posts
me

i drive it tha way it is. Wheels and all.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
I have a set of snow tires.
It will be my 4th winter with the IS.
All I can say is Let it snow. :D

There are a few tips:
Rear tires must have less wear than the front.
All tires must be in a decent condition.
Trac-On, Snow-On when driving in heavy snow.
If rear-end has gone loose due to downshifting e-shift, do not let go of the gas, counter-steer and upshift (Takes practice to find the upshift button).
Never ever drive on summer tires in snow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,654 Posts
The pick-up I bought a few months ago is getting donated to charity next week because it was a bit too "cheap" :lol: Last weekend I bought a 88 Suzuki Samauri in near new condition. Kinda a girly "jeep" looking kinda ride...but, it will part snow very well. That's what I was looking for...

BTW - The IS sucks in the snow. Period.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
This will be my 4th winter. PARK IT when it snows. So far I've had to take the bus to work a total of four times. (Hey, snow is rare in Seattle.)
Won't be a problem when the office moves back to downtown Seattle soon though. I'll be on the bus again for the commute anyway.
I HATE the idea, but I THINK I may go to all seasons for the next set of tires. I haven't had any problems in the rain with the Potenzas, but I would probably feel more secure on tires that grab better in the wet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,096 Posts
I'm going to get a used 2nd car for this winter, probably a corolla or something with FWD or AWD.

Going to park the IS in the garage.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
vlad_a said:
I have a set of snow tires.
It will be my 4th winter with the IS.
All I can say is Let it snow. :D

There are a few tips:
Rear tires must have less wear than the front.
All tires must be in a decent condition.
Trac-On, Snow-On when driving in heavy snow.
If rear-end has gone loose due to downshifting e-shift, do not let go of the gas, counter-steer and upshift (Takes practice to find the upshift button).
Never ever drive on summer tires in snow.
Yah, Would probably help to put a 100 lb sack of potatos or sand in the trunk too...for extra traction, especially if you have hills to climb.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
I didn't see that much of a benefit of having extra weight in the trunk. I hauled 500 lbs of salt on summer tires in snow once (long time ago). That did not help traction much (as if there was any).

Stay away from all-season tires if your car will not see snow/ice. I have them and I am very disappointed with their handling in the rain and dry conditions.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
goldark said:
The winter is going to own me.
This is my first winter in a RWD.

:cry:

No sweat. Get snow tires. You'll be fine. I owned an old 1968 Renault R-10 when I was in college. It was RWD. Plowed snow up to the bumper one year with no trouble...on Micheline all seasons. The engine was over the drive though (in the rear). That's why I think if you put some extra weight in the trunk of the IS300 it will be a good thing. Just take it easy. You'll get where you need to go. The worst thing is trying to keep away from all the idiots out there!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
vlad_a said:
Stay away from all-season tires if your car will not see snow/ice. I have them and I am very disappointed with their handling in the rain and dry conditions.
So you think I should stick with the "dry" tires like the present Potenzas even with all the wet out here? I am concerned about the loss of some handling with the all seasons, but I don't want to have two sets of tires...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
Ask people in the wheel/tires forum for the best tire in wet conditions.

The Potenzas RE92 that I have now don't hold to the ground well in any condition. When I had the RE040, it seems that they handled wet road better.

I'm thinking of staying away from Potenzas for my next set. The Toyo® Proxes T1-S seem to be very promising. Sold at .NET store.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
vlad_a said:
Ask people in the wheel/tires forum for the best tire in wet conditions.

The Potenzas RE92 that I have now don't hold to the ground well in any condition. When I had the RE040, it seems that they handled wet road better.

I'm thinking of staying away from Potenzas for my next set. The Toyo® Proxes T1-S seem to be very promising. Sold at .NET store.

I'm gonna look into it in more detail when I get closer to needing a new set. Still have about 10K miles before I'm due for tires.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,880 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
what are the best snow tires for stock rims, anyway?
See Rims/Tires forum for details.
Hint: Blizzak LM22
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,585 Posts
GraphiteSportDesign said:
what are the best snow tires for stock rims, anyway?
I would buy a set of cheap 16 inchers.... the tires are 30 bucks cheaper for 16 inch rims, and not having to mount tires twice a year will save you enough to make the extra rims a nice thing to have....
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top